Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Arm redness at site of Flu vaccine injection (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/arm-redness-site-flu-vaccine-injection-326345/)

coffeebean 11-14-2021 04:56 PM

Arm redness at site of Flu vaccine injection

This is only my second flu shot ever so I'm not so sure how common a reaction at the injection site is. My first flu shot was last year and I had no reaction at all.....not even soreness at the injection site. Now I'm starting to wonder if I was not given the senior dose of the flu shot last year.

This shot has left my arm a bit sore with a deep red area about 3" in diameter. This is the type of arm redness I had from my first two Moderna shots.

Anyone have a reaction like this at their site of injection of the Flu shot?

Bjeanj 11-14-2021 05:18 PM

It’s not an uncommon reaction. Slap an ice pack on it.

JMintzer 11-14-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 2029678)
It’s not an uncommon reaction. Slap an ice pack on it.

Yup. That and some Motrin (if you can tolerate it)...

My wife gets that every time. Lasts a day or so...

billethkid 11-14-2021 06:35 PM

My experience.....(over 20 years)? It will be gone in a couple of days.

manaboutown 11-14-2021 07:01 PM

50 years + of flu shots. Reactions vary. This can be one of them.

coffeebean 11-14-2021 07:12 PM

Thanks everyone for your insight.

Babubhat 11-14-2021 08:03 PM

Very common. Ice it

Chi-Town 11-14-2021 08:12 PM

WebMD is an excellent source.

Flu Shot Fact Sheet: Influenza Vaccine and Side Effects

Rwirish 11-15-2021 07:32 AM

What’s the worry? If concerned, call your physician.

ThirdOfFive 11-15-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2029671)
This is only my second flu shot ever so I'm not so sure how common a reaction at the injection site is. My first flu shot was last year and I had no reaction at all.....not even soreness at the injection site. Now I'm starting to wonder if I was not given the senior dose of the flu shot last year.

This shot has left my arm a bit sore with a deep red area about 3" in diameter. This is the type of arm redness I had from my first two Moderna shots.

Just about every time. A mildly sore arm for a couple of days, that's all.

allsport 11-15-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Most common reaction to the shot. The content changes every year depending on what is predicted to be the flu strains of the coming season. Your reaction may be different every year.

DonnaNi4os 11-15-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

I’ve given countless flu vaccines over the years as well as gotten them. Getting a red arm isn’t uncommon nor is it uncommon not to get any mark. It just depends on you as well as the strain of vaccine which changes every year. It is nothing to worry about and should subside in a few days. Your immune system has responded and that’s a good thing.

Joorn59 11-15-2021 02:41 PM

Flu shot redness

Quote:

This is not uncommon, especially if your immune system is revved up from the covid shots. It’s actually a good sign!

coffeebean 11-15-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rwirish (Post 2029846)
What’s the worry? If concerned, call your physician.

I never said I was worried. I had this same redness and soreness at the injection site when I had my Covid shots. I just had no idea the flu shot can offer the same reaction, especially when I had no reaction whatsoever from my first flu shot last year.

This is day four now and the deep redness is a slight pink so it is improving.

coffeebean 11-15-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allsport (Post 2029860)
Most common reaction to the shot. The content changes every year depending on what is predicted to be the flu strains of the coming season. Your reaction may be different every year.

Good to know. Going forward, I do plan to get the flu shot annually now that I'm officially a senior and now that Covid will always be floating around.