Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Question regarding mixing vaccine booster shots (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/question-regarding-mixing-vaccine-booster-shots-326442/)

MDLNB 11-17-2021 09:08 AM

Question regarding mixing vaccine booster shots

A relative recently told me that they had received a Moderna booster shot for the J&J vaccination they had originally received. I was astonished as information on the two vaccinations shows that they are entirely different. The J&J is derived from infected animals (monkeys) and the Moderna is a mRNA technology. Seems to me that it is entirely different. After doing a bit of Internet surfing, I found that doctors are encouraging the mixing. That surprised me also.

So, my question is that if any booster is working for this, regardless of type of vaccine, then wouldn't that mean that a Moderna booster would also work for a flu shot? Sounds ridiculous, I know but if you can mix a virus derived vaccine with a mRNA booster, something sounds a bit fishy. I am starting to wonder if the booster even matters, as many doctors have already admitted that the vaccine will NOT eliminate infection or the passing on the infection to others. It seems that it may eliminate MOST infected from dying in the hospital, if anything.

Don't get me wrong, I have my vaccination. Apparently, the FDA or CDC are now discounting any chance of herd immunity, since immunity would indicate that you can't become infected by the illness.

The pandemic is still on many folks minds and they wish to discuss it, so this is NOT "just another Covid thread." Well, actually it is BUT folks are still concerned or you would not see many still wearing masks and still lining up for their shots....mostly boosters. And that is the point of this, BOOSTERS.

asianthree 11-17-2021 06:23 PM

VA stayed with the same vaccine for first 2 and the booster. Could have been that’s the only supplier they had.

John41 11-17-2021 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDLNB (Post 2030588)
A relative recently told me that they had received a Moderna booster shot for the J&J vaccination they had originally received. I was astonished as information on the two vaccinations shows that they are entirely different. The J&J is derived from infected animals (monkeys) and the Moderna is a mRNA technology. Seems to me that it is entirely different. After doing a bit of Internet surfing, I found that doctors are encouraging the mixing. That surprised me also.

So, my question is that if any booster is working for this, regardless of type of vaccine, then wouldn't that mean that a Moderna booster would also work for a flu shot? Sounds ridiculous, I know but if you can mix a virus derived vaccine with a mRNA booster, something sounds a bit fishy. I am starting to wonder if the booster even matters, as many doctors have already admitted that the vaccine will NOT eliminate infection or the passing on the infection to others. It seems that it may eliminate MOST infected from dying in the hospital, if anything.

Don't get me wrong, I have my vaccination. Apparently, the FDA or CDC are now discounting any chance of herd immunity, since immunity would indicate that you can't become infected by the illness.

The pandemic is still on many folks minds and they wish to discuss it, so this is NOT "just another Covid thread." Well, actually it is BUT folks are still concerned or you would not see many still wearing masks and still lining up for their shots....mostly boosters. And that is the point of this, BOOSTERS.

We stayed with the Moderna booster. But they both increase antibodies so I guess that’s why they can be mixed.

EdFNJ 11-17-2021 10:17 PM

Google is always your friend:

You might want to check with the people who made the rules: Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

Interchangeability of booster doses
Heterologous (mix and match) booster doses can be used in eligible recipients aged ≥18 years (see Considerations for use of a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose for more details).

And from here: So you got the Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine: What a booster means for you - CNET

The CDC says everyone who got the one-dose shot can get another dose of Johnson & Johnson at least two months after they were vaccinated, or they can get a booster shot of Pfizer or Moderna. That's because the CDC and US Food and Drug Administration have also authorized a heterologous booster dose for all adults who qualify for one, meaning people can now "mix and match" vaccines for a booster and aren't tied to their original vaccine.

EdFNJ 11-17-2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Apparently, the FDA or CDC are now discounting any chance of herd immunity, since immunity would indicate that you can't become infected by the illness.

Correct, because SADLY they have fully understood that there will never be enough people taking the vaccine to reach whatever they need to reach (70%?? 80% ?? 90% ?? or whatever the number was) of the population that would reach herd immunity.

blueash 11-18-2021 12:37 AM

Quote:

You have posted on so many Covid threads and still you and others do not seem to understand how vaccines work. All the vaccines, whether Moderna, J and J etc work by having your body produce antibodies against the spike proteins that characterize the Covid 19 virus. Stop, consider that fact.

pause, pause, pause.

Ok, so any product that makes your immune system better at recognizing the spike protein as an enemy and fighting it is a good thing to use to help you not get sick. There are variations in the method used to induce the body to attack the spike protein. J&J uses an adenoviral method. Moderna uses mRNA. All the approved vaccines do the same thing ultimately... get you to make anti-spike antibodies. Whatever product you use for a booster... boosts your ability to make anti-spike antibodies. The point of Covid boosters is to BOOST your resistance to Covid, just like a tetanus booster only works to boost your immunity to that disease.

And NO it does nothing for influenza which has no spike protein involved at all.

Professor 11-18-2021 06:12 AM

Booster Helps. My spouse had no antibodies from the first and second dose vaccine due to a chronic illness & Medications for it, but the booster finally allowed her system to generate the antibodies she needed.

merrymini 11-18-2021 06:12 AM

I think you should line up for your fifteenth shot now and beat the crowd.

crash 11-18-2021 06:47 AM

The Moderna booster increased antibodies by 1400 times to people who got the J&J shot. The purpose of the booster is to boost antibodies so why not get the one that gives you the biggest boost.

Different technologies same virus is why you can use any of them for your booster. The flu is a different virus then Covid thus none work for the flu.

Rwirish 11-18-2021 06:52 AM

Astonished why? Doctors are not “encouraging” the mixing of vaccines but have said you can mix vaccines.

Bogie Shooter 11-18-2021 06:58 AM

Quote:

Sure seems to be heavy on your mind.
Why don't you contact all those privately that want to discuss it and have them over to your house.....kinda like a book club.:popcorn:

Lindaws 11-18-2021 07:45 AM

Right on

Susan1717 11-18-2021 08:06 AM

I’m curious if anyone vaccinated either twice or with a booster has taken the antibody blood test that shows your exact level/number for antibodies? My friend had Covid 5 months ago and is a level 2.18, I’m at 1.55 from 9 months ago getting Covid. I only know so far, one person vaccinated twice that checked and hes only at .87. Id be curious of any other actual specific statistics. I’ll also be happy when Pfizer can distribute their new drug for Covid cases that’s 90% effective to keep you out of the hospital or dying.

Proveone 11-18-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Why are you asking residents about a medical question? Call your doctor!

Jensor17 11-18-2021 08:22 AM

Nix on boosters. Seems to me that NO ONE can say the shots are effective. I had bad reaction to Moderna. Hives nausea dizziness and now I’m plagued with worsening of all my arthritis in all my joints at once. I FIRMLY BELIEVE THIS MODERNA ALTERS YOUR DNA AND ALL YOUR LIFELONG IMMUNITIES ARE DISRUPTED BY THIS INVENTION OF MAN. Before the Moderna shot, I had an ache here or there— treatable with NSAID or meloxicam. After the Moderna vaccine, My Arthritis quadrupled and nothing relieves it.