Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Been living here 8+ years and now a turd.... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/been-living-here-8-years-now-turd-326569/)

Mortal1 11-20-2021 02:40 PM

Been living here 8+ years and now a turd....

moves in across the street with his Harley hog and no mufflers. I truly despise those who have zero consideration for others.

And NO I'm not jealous of these pretend cowboys of the road. Any reasonable person knows that anything that creates undue noise to satisfy someones ego is a person who could care less about others.

You claim the loud mufflers are a safety issue? Nah...jest get a bloody louder horn!!!

Yeh. Inconsiderate people **** me off.

Bjeanj 11-20-2021 02:55 PM

It’s annoying to have to deal with that problem.

Noise complaints are handled by the Sheriff's Office. If you live in Sumter County, visit their website at Welcome to Sumter County, FL.

Velvet 11-20-2021 02:58 PM

The rider may be trying to impress people, but is now in a different age category and hasn’t realized it yet. So assuming that he/she is older I’d start with the assumption that they like people and invite them over to a driveway welcome home event. You set the bar.
No comment on their pipes. Just welcome. Let’s see how they react. If they are receptive, with time you mention how noise is considered unwelcome, like lawn mowers gas engines etc. Let them get the hint. See how they react. It takes time to change behavior.

If it’s not worth your while, there are noise ordinances. I’m sure your other neighbors will join you in your complaint. If the person is a general ass, it’s not worth fighting, life is too short for such a neighbor, might consider a move.

davem4616 11-20-2021 02:59 PM

you know what they say about guys with loud mufflers...they're compensating for something

vintageogauge 11-20-2021 03:21 PM

I actually like the sound of Harley's and Muscle Cars. I wouldn't want them running up an down the street but to hear it just when they are leaving their home and coming back wouldn't be to much to handle. I would much rather have that on the street than a dog that constantly barks.

Shbullet 11-20-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2031875)
I actually like the sound of Harley's and Muscle Cars. I wouldn't want them running up an down the street but to hear it just when they are leaving their home and coming back wouldn't be to much to handle. I would much rather have that on the street than a dog that constantly barks.

I agree completely

fdpaq0580 11-20-2021 04:29 PM

Agree, partly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2031875)

When they are just cruising, sounds ok. When they crank it up in the morning and rev it up to warm it up at daybreak, shattering the sleep of others and the peace and tranquility of the neighborhood, then it is just inconsiderate BS. "I'm up, so everyone else needs to know, the King has risen and to hell with the rest of you peasants."
Barking dogs are also annoying. Just when your feeling romantic and the (insert expletive here.) dog next door won't shut up.

Retiring 11-20-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2031846)
moves in across the street with his Harley hog and no mufflers. I truly despise those who have zero consideration for others.

And NO I'm not jealous of these pretend cowboys of the road. Any reasonable person knows that anything that creates undue noise to satisfy someones ego is a person who could care less about others.

You claim the loud mufflers are a safety issue? Nah...jest get a bloody louder horn!!!

I feel your pain. As someone that has rode HD, personally I don’t care for the bike. The vibration is fatiguing, feels like you’re in a paint shaker. I prefer to ride what is referred to as a “gentleman’s bike,” a bike that is super smooth and quiet. The kind of bike you can ride for two hours and not be exhausted. I had a bike for several years, the last one Honda PC800. I don’t see a motorcycle in my future, I’ll stick with planes.

I don’t see your complaints going anywhere. The neighbor will not sell his bike or house. Several years ago, I had a neighbor with a constantly barking dog. I told him the barking was a bit much. He said, dogs bark – get over it. I feel you might get the same type response from your neighbor. And I’m not the type to get law enforcement involved, that just escalates the situation.

About 30 yrs ago I helped a co-worker move after his divorce. He went from a single-family house to a townhouse (shared walls). He put together his large drum kit against a shared wall. At midnight he decided to play his drums and he did at full effort. I told him to stop since he has just awakened the people on the other side of the wall along with the rest of the block. He said, “I don’t give a s..t.” Sometimes people suck.

As much as we don’t wish it true, I think it is – when it comes to the consideration of others, some people just don’t care.

MDLNB 11-20-2021 04:40 PM

From day break to 10pm (I think that is what it said in the deed restrictions) noise is permitted. I bet the same person complaining about the motorcycle on his/her street is the same type that will complain about the landscapers lawnmowers making too much noise. Hey, get up and live what little life you have left. Enjoy the strong sound of powerful machines. Harley bikes have a unique sound of their own. It's interesting to be able to pick a Harley sound out of other motorcycle sounds. Kind of like being able to tell the difference between an M-16 and an AK-47 at night in combat. Some of us can even tell the difference between a Triumph and a rice burner motorcycle sound. Not much of a talent, but I take my super powers seriously.......:1rotfl::super:

fdpaq0580 11-20-2021 04:48 PM

Thought!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2031846)

Do the rest of the neighbors feel like you? Then get together and buy him a set of mufflers and a gift card from the local Harley shop to have them installed, no substitutions, as a "Welcome to the neighborhood" gift. That would send the message, but in a nice (kind of passive, aggressive) way.

Speedie 11-20-2021 04:50 PM

Great opportunity to reach out and find a new friend.

Number 10 GI 11-20-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDLNB (Post 2031902)
From day break to 10pm (I think that is what it said in the deed restrictions) noise is permitted. I bet the same person complaining about the motorcycle on his/her street is the same type that will complain about the landscapers lawnmowers making too much noise. Hey, get up and live what little life you have left. Enjoy the strong sound of powerful machines. Harley bikes have a unique sound of their own. It's interesting to be able to pick a Harley sound out of other motorcycle sounds. Kind of like being able to tell the difference between an M-16 and an AK-47 at night in combat. Some of us can even tell the difference between a Triumph and a rice burner motorcycle sound. Not much of a talent, but I take my super powers seriously.......:1rotfl::super:

There is a guy in our neighborhood that owns a Harley and it is a bit loud but he doesn't get on the throttle when leaving his house. Yeah, I can still hear it inside the house but he is gone in less than 10 seconds so the noise is very short lived. I've owned a couple bikes over the years, an obnoxiously loud Norton 750 Commando and a Suzuki 1500 which had a very mellow sound. I have known guys that wear earplugs because their exhaust is so loud. Not for me, I want to be able to hear the screeching tires of the car that is about to run into me.

I really loved that Norton. I would ride it all week to work and would have to spend the weekend tightening up bolts and screws, adjusting the ignition timing and carburetors. Definitely a love hate relationship with English bikes.

fdpaq0580 11-20-2021 06:45 PM

Bsa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 10 GI (Post 2031939)
There is a guy in our neighborhood that owns a Harley and it is a bit loud but he doesn't get on the throttle when leaving his house. Yeah, I can still hear it inside the house but he is gone in less than 10 seconds so the noise is very short lived. I've owned a couple bikes over the years, an obnoxiously loud Norton 750 Commando and a Suzuki 1500 which had a very mellow sound. I have known guys that wear earplugs because their exhaust is so loud. Not for me, I want to be able to hear the screeching tires of the car that is about to run into me.

I really loved that Norton. I would ride it all week to work and would have to spend the weekend tightening up bolts and screws, adjusting the ignition timing and carburetors. Definitely a love hate relationship with English bikes.

Late 60's had a BSA that I loved ...... And hated.

DeanFL 11-20-2021 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Recommend going to a bike store and get him one of these for his pride&joy. Maybe he'll get the hint that's he's acting like an adolescent. Actually I would check with all the surrounding neighbors for their views on the issue, and if in agreement - cal the authorities. I would be LIVID if he was a new neighbor here... grrrr.

Michael G. 11-20-2021 07:52 PM

If this is a 55+ community, wouldn't you think by now they would have got that out of their system?

I started a post about noisy cycles/ loud cars here some time ago and got the same stupid comments that I'm reading here on the subject.

You don't realize we have water pollution, air pollution, and YES noise pollution and apparently noise pollution is ok.

BTW......I heard: "The noisier the bike, the smaller their manly hood."