Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Refrigerator ice maker water valve (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/refrigerator-ice-maker-water-valve-326630/)

jrref 11-22-2021 04:59 PM

Refrigerator ice maker water valve

1 Attachment(s)
Of all the crazy things i've seen here in the Villages homes i can't figure out what they were thinking by installing the round Flowtite water enclosure and valve for the refrigerator ice maker/water. The problem is the hose from the valve to the Refrigerator will not last forever. Typically they need to be replaced every 5 years to avoid a hose failure. The way it's set up there is no way to replace the hose without replacing the valve and to do that it appears you need to remove the housing in the wall.

Has anyone replaced this yet and if so can you give me some tips on how to do this without damaging the wall behind the refrigerator?

DAVES 11-22-2021 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrref (Post 2032571)
Of all the crazy things i've seen here in the Villages homes i can't figure out what they were thinking by installing the round Flowtite water enclosure and valve for the refrigerator ice maker/water. The problem is the hose from the valve to the Refrigerator will not last forever. Typically they need to be replaced every 5 years to avoid a hose failure. The way it's set up there is no way to replace the hose without replacing the valve and to do that it appears you need to remove the housing in the wall.

Has anyone replaced this yet and if so can you give me some tips on how to do this without damaging the wall behind the refrigerator?

For,"what they were thinking," simple cost. "Need to replace every five years," Ours is ten years old, no sign of leaks. Nothing lasts forever. It is sort of ironic, we live in the villages. Ponce DeLeon was looking for the fountain of youth in Florida. Our hose is plenty long and it has only gentile bends. I surely would not fold it. The more expensive hoses are actually just a woven metal shield over a plastic hose. Might have some value if you have a dog or cat that goes behind the refrigerator.

retiredguy123 11-22-2021 07:34 PM

My house is 6 years old, and I have 10 hoses and valve connections under my sinks and toilets that look exactly like your photo, except they are not in a recessed box. They all look to be in perfect, like new condition. What makes you think they need to be replaced?

retiredguy123 11-22-2021 07:57 PM

According to the Accor website, the plastic valve can be removed from the recessed outlet box by twisting the valve counterclockwise. So, if that works, there is no reason to damage the drywall or the outlet box to replace the valve and hose.

Malsua 11-22-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

I'm replacing that exact same thing tomorrow afternoon in a house my sister just bought.

The problem with these flowtite valves is they can score the CPVC to the point a sharkbite may not seal perfectly.

They do just twist and pull, usually the black ring with teeth on it pulls out of the valve.

If the pipe is hosed, you'll have no choice but to open up the wall a bit below the valve. Pop a sharkbite coupler on the clean pipe below, add a small piece of 1/2 CPVC and attach a good sharkbite valve with 1/4 compression outlet to your new piece of CPVC.

Laker14 11-22-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Where is that located?

EdFNJ 11-22-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2032627)
Where is that located?

Behind the refrigerator ...... can't imagine anywhere else they would put the refrigerator water connection :D

EdFNJ 11-22-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

I'd like to know who has NEEDED to replace theirs at all no less every 5 years. Our home it 11 years old and it's fine. If the hose itself gets cut or broken you can easily splice a new plastic hose in without dealing with the valve but if the valve is like the ones on all the other connections just twist it off. I have had to replace one in one bathroom when someone broke it with a mop. After the flood was gone :) it just twisted off. I chose to replace it with a glued on one and a new valve. Plastic pipe is easy to work with if you are inclined to DIY.

Garywt 11-22-2021 09:44 PM

Some things are installed so people feel they need to call a plumber to repair/replace.

If you are this upset with what was installed you can replace the entire set up.

As for me, when I see a puddle on the floor I will do something.

retiredguy123 11-22-2021 10:18 PM

The point is that the valve is designed to be twisted off and replaced with the same type of valve. No damage to the wall. I have 11 of the Accor push-pull valves and none of them have ever leaked. The hoses seem to be in perfect condition with no need to replace them every 5 years. Yes, these are cheap plastic valves, but they are always open, except in the rare occasion when you need to close one. If you are constantly opening and closing the valves, you can expect them to start leaking. But, any type of valve can start to leak. I don't see an issue here.

Laker14 11-23-2021 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2032627)
Where is that located?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 2032630)
Behind the refrigerator ...... can't imagine anywhere else they would put the refrigerator water connection :D

Well, that explains why I've never seen it.
I just bought this place last winter and haven't needed it, or to move the fridge yet.
When I have to change the water filter, and shut off the water supply, I guess I'll do it at the main. I'm not going to try to move that fridge if I can avoid it. It's a heavy sucker.

RICH1 11-23-2021 05:36 AM

Leave it alone and install an in-line valve, something easier to reach…with all the hard water calcium build up here in the Villages that valve should never leak

thevillages2013 11-23-2021 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laker14 (Post 2032663)
Well, that explains why I've never seen it.
I just bought this place last winter and haven't needed it, or to move the fridge yet.
When I have to change the water filter, and shut off the water supply, I guess I'll do it at the main. I'm not going to try to move that fridge if I can avoid it. It's a heavy sucker.

I has wheels on it. Just pulls right out

thevillages2013 11-23-2021 05:53 AM

Quote:

“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it “ but if you are going to worry about that connection what about the plastic tubing in the back of the actual fridge itself

Blackbird45 11-23-2021 06:43 AM

I believe the valve you're talking about is the same ones that are connecting all the water lines sinks and toilets. I installed a bidet about 4 years ago and wanted the valved replace with a metal screw valve. It cost me $100 and the plumber did it in about 20 minutes. If it is the same valve, it's no big thing.