Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Phillip's Toyota (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/phillips-toyota-326771/)

mhballard73@icloud 11-27-2021 10:13 AM

Phillip's Toyota

Has anyone visited Phillip's Toyota or bought a vehicle from them? Looking for experience working with them.

jchase 11-27-2021 11:00 AM

Phillips

Bought a Toyota Avalon there a couple of years ago. Good experience with the sales department. The service department was terrible. Ending up going to Ocala for service.

chrisinva 11-27-2021 11:36 AM

We've brought our VA purchased Prius to Philips many times for the maintenance . Complete satisfaction.

mikreb 11-27-2021 11:42 AM

They're in the car sales business what else do you need to know. Just make sure what the salesperson puts on the write up sheet is on the final paperwork. They changed the negotiated trade-in value and removed the manufacturer incentive. Had I not caught that it would have made $4800 difference. Also, say NO (several times) to all the add-ons the finance person tries to sale you. Look closely because they do not explain all the up charges they just appear on your final sales paperwork. None of those extras are worthwhile.

larbud 11-27-2021 11:45 AM

If their lips are moving..

Babubhat 11-27-2021 01:10 PM

Buy online and double check the numbers. Easier than having them breathing down your neck in showroom. Eliminate the salesman.

If you must go to the show room show up an hour before closing. They cannot let you leave if you show interest. More apt to close the deal quickly because they want to go home. The dealership couldn’t care less about the salesman time. He probably already been there 12 hours

JoMar 11-27-2021 03:55 PM

Bought our Sienna in 2015, best price (excluding online). Have had no issues with service except service writers keep turning over. Have no intention of getting rid of the vehicle till at least 175 miles.

Michael G. 11-27-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 2034407)
Have no intention of getting rid of the vehicle till at least 175 miles.

For a Toyota, that is doable, wouldn't buy anything else........:eclipsee_gold_cup:

VApeople 11-27-2021 04:09 PM

We bought a RAV4 there a couple years ago and it was a very enjoyable experience.

We had test driven a RAV4, a Honda CRV, and a Hyundai previously and we decided we wanted the RAV4. We used the internet to determine the price we were willing to pay and how much we wanted for our trade-in, a 2005 Honda Accord.

So we wrote down our out-the-door offer and gave it to a salesman. He started talking but we did not hear the word "Yes", so we got up to leave. Then he called his manager over and they said they would accept our offer. Then we gave them a check and drove the new car home.

Buying a new car is fun!

gatorbill1 11-27-2021 05:37 PM

Go online and use Autonation Pinellas in Clearwater. Worth the 100 mile trip. Just bought a 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross. Took 5 weeks to come in and price of car and trade-in was exactly what I was quoted online 5 weeks ago. Saved $4,000 over quoted price from Phillips, Ocala toyota and Clermont toyota dealerships for same car.
I will use Phillips for service, as I have used them previously and never had a problem.

tc1963 11-27-2021 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhballard73@icloud (Post 2034298)
Has anyone visited Phillip's Toyota or bought a vehicle from them? Looking for experience working with them.

:bigbow: :MOJE_whot::clap2: Purchased our 2019 Camry LE from Keith Smalley new in 2019. Fantastic Salesman and will treat you well. Nobody better. Keith is a very knowledgeable gear head kind of a guy and will help you decide what car fits you and yours functionally. I'm 6'1" and wife 5'02". For us Corrolla - no, Rav4 - no, etc. Camry Yes. "Booster" seat function works for both of us. The others I would have it all the way down, practically touching pavement, my head would still touch the roof. Service Dept. is also excellent. Getting 15k service 11/30. Hope this helps.

VickiL 11-28-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

I prefer DeLuca Toyota in Ocala. More knowledgeable, better service department and nicer environment. Bought my car from Mike Shadlich there too.

noslices1 11-28-2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

I bought a CH-R from DeLuca, because they were $3000.00 less than Phillips. Service is better at DeLuca also. No trying to “upsell” what wasn’t needed.

sdeikenberry 11-28-2021 06:42 AM

I used to go to Phillips for service and became increasingly unhappy with their service department. Like all dealerships, always trying to upsell services and they are not user friendly or customer friendly. Started going to Ocala DeLuca and like them much better. When I say no to a upservice, they stop asking and write the ticket. They respect the customer more than Phillips. Have not purchased from either one, but based on service department, would go with DeLuca.

Luggage 11-28-2021 06:52 AM

Buying a car today is vastly different than 2 or 3 years ago simply because there is virtually no inventory on the floor due to shortages of electronics chips. Wherever you go please make sure you know your value of your car from getting an internet price from two or three of the big internet buyers like carvana, autonation, and hhgregg. If you are financing, you can do that online also first through Capital One or your local Preferred Bank. Many times the car dealers will get you a better rate only after they have going through the motions of raising their rates first. Good luck as I would bring lunch with me when you buy your car as it might take two or three hours if the salesperson becomes an idiot. Personally I walk out after 30 minutes and I tell them that in advance

B-flat 11-28-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VApeople (Post 2034411)
We bought a RAV4 there a couple years ago and it was a very enjoyable experience.

We had test driven a RAV4, a Honda CRV, and a Hyundai previously and we decided we wanted the RAV4. We used the internet to determine the price we were willing to pay and how much we wanted for our trade-in, a 2005 Honda Accord.

So we wrote down our out-the-door offer and gave it to a salesman. He started talking but we did not hear the word "Yes", so we got up to leave. Then he called his manager over and they said they would accept our offer. Then we gave them a check and drove the new car home.

Buying a new car is fun!

Way to go! I like your style, it's the same sort of strategy I use.

Bellavita 11-28-2021 07:14 AM

Don’t do it

[they are horrible after doing business with them for 13 years they have another new manager and after we made an appointment to see a car they sold and never told us and we were there forever while they couldn’t figure it out I wrote a letter to complain the manager told me I am not allowed at the dealership.

Toyota corporation called me to apologise

I go to Deluca in Ocala and am so happy.

QUOTE=mhballard73@icloud;2034298]Has anyone visited Phillip's Toyota or bought a vehicle from them? Looking for experience working with them.[/QUOTE]

irish2468 11-28-2021 07:36 AM

Terrible Experience

Quote:

We had a terrible experience there...Lies Lies Lies.

We went to Lexus of Orlando and Got a better deal with a great experience and with better value and much better price.

They are LIARS

STEVENMERL 11-28-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

I bought 2 vehicles from them, an Avalon and a Corolla. Service was excellent. 5 years now and still using their service

Baldbaron 11-28-2021 07:46 AM

Phillips Toyota - YES! DeLuca Toyota - ONLY IF YOU ENJOY PAIN

Got my RAV 4 from salesman "Ashley" a while back - good man (and a damned good car). However, the dealer sets the prices, so he didn't have much maneuvering room. And watch out for the "Dealer Fee," which is nothing more than extra profit for the dealership - stand your ground on getting it reduced or eliminated. As to service, I have always worked with service writer Rhonda, and she is excellent. I'm going back to Phillips for my next car, a hybrid RAV 4. Good luck!

Rich Iwaszko 11-28-2021 07:48 AM

This is no time to buy a car! Hold off a year or two...bought 2 from Phillips, sold 2 to Phillips, great experience. Not sure on the service, but, with so little inventory new, your going to have to visit at least 6 dealers. Many have an extra markup due to shortages, can range from 1500 to 10,000...be careful... if you can stay out of the lions den..do it...supply and demand not on your side..caution..rethink

mkjelenbaas 11-28-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 2034407)
Bought our Sienna in 2015, best price (excluding online). Have had no issues with service except service writers keep turning over. Have no intention of getting rid of the vehicle till at least 175 miles.

175 miles does not seem like a lot of miles - and then getting rid of the auto?

cmapgurley@comcast.net 11-28-2021 07:57 AM

toyota purchase

we used Royce at Phillips to buy 2015 Prius but I came in there with the Costco price and they ended up honoring it and even went $1000 better and gave me more for my Sienna 2001 Van than Kelly Blue Book. I have been extremely happy with their service dept. Never balk if I don't want to extra items in
service.

noslices1 11-28-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko (Post 2034535)
This is no time to buy a car! Hold off a year or two...bought 2 from Phillips, sold 2 to Phillips, great experience. Not sure on the service, but, with so little inventory new, your going to have to visit at least 6 dealers. Many have an extra markup due to shortages, can range from 1500 to 10,000...be careful... if you can stay out of the lions den..do it...supply and demand not on your side..caution..rethink

If you have a trade-in, this is the perfect time to buy a new car. Deluca Toyota Service sold me a CH-R in 2018 ($3K less than Phillips), for $24K. Three years later gave me $22K in trade for a RAV4. Last year the Blue Book was $13.5K. They can’t get cars so are paying much more for trade ins.

DIver0258 11-28-2021 08:00 AM

Phillips

Quote:

We purchased a 2020 Highlander from them a few months ago. Prior to that they handled the service on our 2013 Sienna. No complaints with the service department the did a decent job and didn't attempt any service upselling.

The Highlander purchase had a few hiccups. We originally put a deposit on a Highlander Hybrid, when the vehicle arrived it was released to another buyer. Per the manager it was an issue with the deal not being put in the Toyota system. The offered our deposit back or to get us another Highlander. We chose another Highlander in about 2 weeks they had the replacement ready to deliver to us. The vehicle we ultimately purchased was not a hybrid, we decided against the hybrid due to limited availability of them. They lived up to the original deal. The deal closer tried to upsell an extended warranty but he took no the first time.

Ultimately we were pleased with the deal, Phillips took 2K off of the original deal for the mistake with the hybrid, we received a great price for our trade in.

Some thoughts, todays auto market is unusual with the shortage of chips and COVID issues affecting component manufacturing. Prices are being held to MSRP and some dealerships are adding to MSRP because of the shortage vehicles. Southeast Toyota distributer is not owned by Toyota, they work a bit differently in their region that the other regions that Toyota purchased the distributer-ships back. They add on a $799 documentation fee and about $1499 in add ons (pin stripe, floor mats, etc...) they hold fast to in the deal.

jaccik1 11-28-2021 08:29 AM

Phillip's Toyota

I bought my RAV 4 two years ago. Great to work with this group. I use the service center now to keep the vehicle in tip top shape. Never had an issue.

Linda Arnold 11-28-2021 08:36 AM

We have purchased two Toyota Highlanders from Phillips and we have been very happy with the sales and service.

merrymini 11-28-2021 09:21 AM

Recently bought a 2022 Prius there to replace my old Prius. Their service was always excellent, but whenever we looked to buy, I always came away dissatisfied. We dealt with the manager and it all came together beautifully. We also lucked out in that the very day after we purchased the car, Toyota said they were cutting their production by 40 percent, so our timing was fortuitous. With shortages everywhere, I would probably wait a little while until things get back to a semblance of normal. The only problem is, no one knows when that will happen.

caljeff 11-28-2021 09:34 AM

Philips Toyota Response

Quote:

I have purchased two vehicles from Philips Toyota, both RAV4's. Each time I felt the deal was fair, and I was "happy". I would like to add that my experience with their "service" has been mostly one of satisfaction. My service gripes have not been with Philips but the 'Toyota Mothership" itself.

NebraskaRon 11-28-2021 09:34 AM

Another vote for Service Advisor Rhonda — she is excellent. Good follow up, no upsale, and good advice on what is needed and what not.

gatorbill1 11-28-2021 09:42 AM

What deal anyone had gotten before has nothing to do with what you will face in dealerships today due to lack of inventory. As I stated before in a post. Go online and get a quote from Autonation in Pinellas (Clearwater) and you will find they will treat you better than any dealer in Ocala or Leesburg. Their ownership do not allow extra pricing due to current circumstances. Everyone will give you more for your trade in. I also got more on my trade from Autonation than local dealers were offering.

meme5x 11-28-2021 09:52 AM

Have had my RAV4 serviced there..they were fine, no problems

mrkorn12@aol.com 11-28-2021 10:02 AM

I have purchased several vehicles from Phillips Toyota, since moving to The Villages in 2010. I have also used their Service Department the entire time. Both have provided excellent service. Our Sales Rep, who has been there several years, is Jamie Reed. The Service Department Rep we use is Rhonda Cook, who is also there several years. Ask for them when working with Phillips Toyota. Also, the Service Manager is Chris. I can't remember his last name right now; but, I have worked with him a couple of times. Chris is a real gentleman, and will take care of any issues you might have. Our last purchase was a 2020 Avalon Limited Hybrid. This is an excellent vehicle. We get 40+ MPG.

BigSteph 11-28-2021 10:32 AM

My parents purchased a car there last month. They are in the 70's and early 80's. They didn't feel like they were pressured, nor did they feel talked-down to because of age.

They got the Kelly Blue Book price for their trade-in, which was sufficient for their needs -- they could have asked for more in a private sale, but then they would have had to dealt with 1+ people going through the dance of negotiation and test drive, and trust, etc.

Quote:

rmd2 11-28-2021 11:52 AM

I was going to buy a new car but hate the seats in all the new cars. The government now requires the back of the seat in all new cars to be set lower now so you won't slide out of the seat in case of collision. Never mind that you have seat belts and air bags which would prevent that. Anyway I bought a 2018 Camry XLE with a more comfortable seat from Phillips. I went to just about every car dealer in Ocala and Leesburg. I got a trade in of $1,500 for my 2002 Camry XLE with 230 K miles that had an electric seat adjustment problem that could not be fixed. The out the door price for the 2018 was fair at $26K. The car was in perfect condition. Be sure to check the first write up they give you with the final write up at the time sale because there were some differences (the bottom line was the same but there were some things you could negotiate). Overall I am happy with my car and my experience with Phillips.
ps several years ago I had taken my car to DeLuca Toyota in Ocala and the service recommended 3 service items to be "fixed" - none of which needed to be done.

DaleDivine 11-28-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldbaron (Post 2034534)
Got my RAV 4 from salesman "Ashley" a while back - good man (and a damned good car). However, the dealer sets the prices, so he didn't have much maneuvering room. And watch out for the "Dealer Fee," which is nothing more than extra profit for the dealership - stand your ground on getting it reduced or eliminated. As to service, I have always worked with service writer Rhonda, and she is excellent. I'm going back to Phillips for my next car, a hybrid RAV 4. Good luck!

We leased a 2014 RAV-4 from Phillips and Ashley was our salesman. Treated us good gave us a good deal on the Buick Lucerne we traded in. Service department was satisfactory.
But we have switched to Kia Sorento. Looking to lease our 3rd one. I like to trade every 2 years...
:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow:

Michael G. 11-28-2021 12:19 PM

When servicing my oil/filter on my '15 Highlander with Phillips or Deluca Toyota, I notice oil changes
have been going up in price do to the price of oil I guess.

Even Walmart raised their prices for oil change from $49.95 to $59.95 for synthetic, which BTW is the cheapest I seen

Duppman 11-28-2021 12:33 PM

If you are looking to trade a vehicle in addition to some mentioned below, give KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) and work through the cash offer part of their website. Once you have the offer you can select the dealer(s) you wish to have evaluate your car. I looked at both Carvana and Carmax and ended up getting quite a bit more through KBB.

lorilorilori 11-28-2021 01:05 PM

Quote:

Purchased my truck from a very good saleslady (Cat Lenghban) but the service is awful. I used Nahas in Wildwood.

pharmguy 11-28-2021 02:59 PM

Also ran into unfriendly service department so went to DeLuca