Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Windows "off track"??? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/windows-off-track-327545/)

billethkid 12-24-2021 08:41 AM

Windows "off track"???

We have the original white metal framed windows throughout our home....built in 2004.

A couple of them seem to go "off track" or cocked in the track when raising and become difficult to lower correctly.

Seems like a slider comes out of the track.

Before I seek original installer I thought I would check on other's experiences.....if any.

Mortal1 12-24-2021 09:09 AM

You may not be able to find the original company that installed them. Have someone you trust check it out to make certain it is a problem. Windows are not difficult to determine what, if anything, is wrong. I'm guessing that the tracks are plastic as well the window guides. So unless one is cracked or broken perhaps applying a silicon spray lubricant might solve and issue. Dirt and grime can affect how it works.

dewilson58 12-24-2021 09:09 AM

Has it always been a problem??

With our addition, we had the same problem with one window.
Come to find out, the metal track in the window frame was installed backwards.
The window installer came, popped it out and replaced it.

There is a slight, slight difference and a right was to be installed.

:wave:

DAVES 12-24-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 2042598)
We have the original white metal framed windows throughout our home....built in 2004.

A couple of them seem to go "off track" or cocked in the track when raising and become difficult to lower correctly.

Seems like a slider comes out of the track.

Before I seek original installer I thought I would check on other's experiences.....if any.

Typo? Built 2004? The windows would be almost 20 years old. It is unlikely you can find the original installer. It is likely your home has settled. New windows will likely reduce your heating and cooling expense as well as making your home quieter-less outside noise.

villagetinker 12-24-2021 11:14 AM

You may have windows with counter weights and a weight may have come disconnected. Hopefully a handyman familiar with windows of this vintage will contact you.
Also, you should be able to contact home warranty and they should be able to tell you the original installer.

Michael G. 12-24-2021 12:02 PM

My problem is with my narrow window screen, the aluminum frame is bent on one side and doesn't fit tight.
The anoles find their way in the house.

retiredguy123 12-24-2021 12:57 PM

Never had a problem with my windows. But, I have never opened them.

juneroses 12-24-2021 12:57 PM

Our house was also built in 2004 with the double pane white metal frame windows. We've purchased "Kit Balancers" from Romac in the past and replaced the problem balancer with a new one. This make the window once again easy to open and close.

thevillages2013 12-24-2021 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2042669)
My problem is with my narrow window screen, the aluminum frame is bent on one side and doesn't fit tight.

Those darn things can get through the smallest openings. If it is your actual screen frame and not the window frame then just get a new screen. Pretty sure Romac handles those but maybe the one in Leesburg.

Michael G. 12-24-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevillages2013 (Post 2042702)
Those darn things can get through the smallest openings. If it is your actual screen frame and not the window frame then just get a new screen. Pretty sure Romac handles those but maybe the one in Leesburg.

I'm going to stop at Ace Hardware, their pretty efficient about this stuff.

La lamy 12-25-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

I use transparent packing tape for this issue.

Michael G. 12-25-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La lamy (Post 2042818)
I use transparent packing tape for this issue.

That's what I have on now, but in the hot sun, it will bake on the metal frame

Topspinmo 12-25-2021 08:19 PM

Well I would make sure the tracks are clean and the lock in fully engaged at top latches that allows you to fold window out for cleaning or screen removal (especially if interior has been painted?). If it’s like most they probably haven’t been opened 3 times in that 20 years. My house about same age. I swear previous owners never opened the windows. They was nearly impossible to get open. Once I got them open I cleaned out tracks lubricated and made sure the top locks got snapped back in. They open, but IMO -doubt the was ever easy to open. Another thing if you close them fully enough to latch the top levers. That makes them harder being seated in bottle frame.

Topspinmo 12-25-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

I bet the reason they are bent someone tried to remove the screen from outside? That will bend them every time unless the screens don’t fit properly. If the fit properly the only way you can get them out is from inside when you unlatch the window laid down and remove screen from inside.

Bogie Shooter 12-25-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2042681)
Never had a problem with my windows. But, I have never opened them.

Me neither.
Why even open them?