Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Rocky and the Rollers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/rocky-rollers-327749/)

baileysdad 01-01-2022 07:20 AM

Rocky and the Rollers

Went to LSL New Year's Eve to party with Rocky.. what a shock. Instrumentals sounded great but what happened to the vocals ? Not the same Rocky ? Miss the old band.

Bay Kid 01-01-2022 08:02 AM

They sounded great in November when I saw them in Sumter Landing. Happy 2022

Chi-Town 01-01-2022 08:48 AM

I saw them a couple of months back when they had a new vocalist they were trying out. The guy made a difference to the point where they were back as one of my favorites. Then saw them recently and he was gone.

eweissenbach 01-01-2022 03:20 PM

Rocky and the Rollers has always been a huge draw in TV for at least the last 12 years. They are a fun, party band, but in my opinion they are not as good musically as a number of other bands that play here. Fun and energetic, but not in my top ten.

tophcfa 01-01-2022 08:39 PM

We enjoy the band, although some of the band members are definitely getting old and their performance is not what it was several years ago. In fact, I have heard them referred to as Rocky and the Olders. That being said, we very much like the selection of music they play. I would rather listen to a band that plays music that I enjoy even though their performance is slipping a little bit, than listen to a tight band that plays music I don't care for. And besides, who else on the squares plays Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"?

ureout 01-02-2022 06:56 AM

i've seen R&R's for 20 yrs.. the biggest change in their band was when Al joined them several yrs. ago and they started doing some Motown.. he was a GREAT addition to the band..

I know that it's free entertainment BUT most of the top groups NEVER change their set, if you hear them tonight they most likely are singing the same songs in the same order as they have for YEARS

dewilson58 01-02-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 2045058)
they are not as good musically as a number of other bands that play here.

:bigbow:

ronda 01-02-2022 11:23 AM

Sort of new vocalist

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileysdad (Post 2044892)
Went to LSL New Year's Eve to party with Rocky.. what a shock. Instrumentals sounded great but what happened to the vocals ? Not the same Rocky ? Miss the old band.

Rocky has a member (kind of new to me), who just does vocals only; does not play an instrument. I think his vocals are excellent. A few of the other vocalists are not as good as they used to be. Getting old I guess.

Still think R&Rs are a great band, and enjoy them very much.

Love2Swim 01-02-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baileysdad (Post 2044892)

We went and saw them and said the same thing. The vocals were definitely nothing special. Not at all the way they used to be. We used to love to go see them, but based on Saturday night, will pass in the future, unless they come up with a different lead singer.

dewilson58 01-09-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eweissenbach (Post 2045058)
but in my opinion they are not as good musically as a number of other bands that play here.

This was very true last night in Brownwood.

The vocals were very flat, not much range.

:ho:

coffeebean 01-09-2022 08:17 AM

I have been very disappointed in Rocky and the Rollers ever since Al left the group. We saw them last night at Brownwood and were pleasantly surprised. They have a lead singer now that can carry a tune. In fact, he is pretty good.

The horns were great. We were there for their first set which lasted 1 1/2 hours. They did a couple of swing songs toward the end of the set: "In the Mood" and "Sing, Sing, Sing".

Just WOW!!!!

coffeebean 01-09-2022 08:19 AM

~~~

coffeebean 01-09-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2045112)
We enjoy the band, although some of the band members are definitely getting old and their performance is not what it was several years ago. In fact, I have heard them referred to as Rocky and the Olders. That being said, we very much like the selection of music they play. I would rather listen to a band that plays music that I enjoy even though their performance is slipping a little bit, than listen to a tight band that plays music I don't care for. And besides, who else on the squares plays Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"?

A pretty good rendition including the "towel" Armstrong always had handy.

coffeebean 01-09-2022 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 2045315)
We went and saw them and said the same thing. The vocals were definitely nothing special. Not at all the way they used to be. We used to love to go see them, but based on Saturday night, will pass in the future, unless they come up with a different lead singer.

I'm wondering if the lead singer you refer to is the same guy we saw last night at Brownwood. He is very good; doesn't play an instrument but has a lot of personality on stage. He is a short stocky guy with dark hair.

Stu from NYC 01-09-2022 09:02 AM

Saw the first set last night in Brownwood and thought they were fine.

Especially enjoyed the Monkey songs they did at the end.