Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/putting-green-etiquette-dont-hog-holes-327804/)

grayesun 01-02-2022 09:32 PM

Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes.

Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect! :coolsmiley:

HIgolfers 01-02-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayesun (Post 2045367)
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect! :coolsmiley:

This is my pet peeve as well!

dewilson58 01-03-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from putting at either hole.

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.

ThirdOfFive 01-03-2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Courtesy seems lacking at times, but that's not just in The Villages. We as a society have become much more self-centered and mean.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2045395)

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.

Agree. Even on the PGA tour, there is no courtesy given on the practice greens.

Mortal1 01-03-2022 09:12 AM

That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

The person putting to another hole is perfectly within etiquette guidelines, but should at least be a few feet from the hole while putting to another hole. You can always move your ball to another putting line. It is also okay for more than one person to putt to the same practice putting green hole.

Use of the practice putting green doesn't mean you must play from one hole to another. I often putt on one hole from different locations around that hole. In 57 years of tournament(usga)and non-tournament play this is accepted and occurs all the time...even on the pga tour. You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.

grayesun 01-03-2022 11:41 AM

Got no issue with multiple players putting towards same practice hole. Personally I prefer to putt towards a hole not guarded within a foot or two by someone putting away from that hole, who could easily move away a few feet, making the hole more accessible to others. Quoting Mandolorian, "this is the way".

DonH57 01-03-2022 12:22 PM

It gets more interesting when people start chipping balls into other people. :shocked:

Love2Swim 01-03-2022 01:00 PM

I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 2045559)
I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.

Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.

Mortal1 01-03-2022 03:29 PM

actually nothing wrong...

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2045595)
Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.

with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045606)
with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.

really???? I think after over 1/2 century of playing golf, previously at a very high amateur level, I have a pretty good idea of the difference

Rwirish 01-04-2022 06:03 AM

Oh so terrible!

DaleDivine 01-04-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045489)
That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.

I do this. I start about 3 feet out and put 2 balls to the tee. Then gradually move further away.
:coolsmiley:

banjobob 01-04-2022 07:32 AM

I agree one hole to practice is all you need why putt every hole on the practice green ,

noslices1 01-04-2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjobob (Post 2045779)
I agree one hole to practice is all you need why putt every hole on the practice green ,

I putt every hole on non-crowded practice greens, because most practice greens are not perfectly FLAT. Putting to all the different holes gives you practice on READING the putt. Does it break right or left, or is it uphill or downhill? Only that will let you learn how to make a putt on a course green which are never FLAT.

GOLFER54 01-04-2022 07:41 AM

I stay on one hole the entire time I practice. Put 8 balls ,one club length surrounding the flag, after getting them in, do two club lengths, then end up with 3 club lengths, approximately 45 minutes. I disturb no one and no one disturbs me. I have seen groups of folks hit to every hole, but do this if there aren’t others by the flags. Have seen other folks hit from one hole to another only if no one occupied the second hole. Respect and common sense will keep the peace. Those who chip, will chip in designated area, and never putt.

Two Bills 01-04-2022 07:47 AM

I hit about half a dozen balls on the practice putting green before I play.
The one that gets nearest the hole, is the one I play with.
Works for me!

mtoneff 01-04-2022 08:08 AM

Better things to do with whatever time you have left.

Quote:

I'm sure there were plenty of holes for you to putt.

grayesun 01-04-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtoneff (Post 2045808)
I'm sure there were plenty of holes for you to putt.

Actually, there were none, but glad you were sure just the same. Why does a simple act of being considerate and unselfish seem so foreign & far-fetched to some. If I can't find a single open hole, I adapt & putt to a spot or a marker. The point is having some self-awareness, being in the moment and sharing facilities with others. As expected, so many downer comments defending their "me first-ness", exactly why we find "hole hogs"!

chuckpedrey 01-04-2022 11:32 AM

A workaround for that issue is to putt at a specific spot on the practice green rather than to a hole on the green. The side benefits of this exercise include number one seeing how far past the hole your ball would have traveled if it hadn’t dropped and number two you don’t have to lift a pin to get your ball out of the hole. Just a thought

arickis 01-04-2022 04:28 PM

I totally agree. They will stand next to hole and put to another, now blocking 2 holes. It is just common sense and courtesy for other golfers to use one hole at a time. Put your ball in the middle, away from all the holes and pick one not being used to put to. How hard is that??

kcrazorbackfan 01-04-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2045395)

That’s easier said than done. Most golfers will laugh off a ball bouncing off their foot but be prepared for the privileged/entitled pricks that, in their feeble little brain, think they’re getting ready for a pro tournament and will confront you.

golfing eagles 01-04-2022 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 2046053)
That’s easier said than done. Most golfers will laugh off a ball bouncing off their foot but be prepared for the privileged/entitled pricks that, in their feeble little brain, think they’re getting ready for a pro tournament and will confront you.

Which they will subsequently regret:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Calisport 01-05-2022 12:10 AM

Agree. Maybe putt between the legs like at miniature golf.

dewilson58 01-05-2022 06:08 AM

Quote:

That’s easier said than done.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
If you practice enough, you will be able to putt well enough to do.
:clap2:

Mortal1 01-05-2022 05:03 PM

I would say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2045613)
really???? I think after over 1/2 century of playing golf, previously at a very high amateur level, I have a pretty good idea of the difference

that as someone who was competing as an Amateur since 1968 I've a pretty good idea what I'm talking about...also at a fairly high level.

Mortal1 01-05-2022 05:09 PM

So anyone who has a practice regimen that you don't like...

Quote:

must be preparing for a pro tournament must be feeble minded entitled pricks. Talk about a narrowminded view eh? I would guess there's at least one thing a person does that they love and take seriously. Imagine someone takes that same attitude towards the thing they decide to work on seriously. Would that make that person be a feeble minded little entitled prick? Nah.

A hypocrite might feel the same way.

golfing eagles 01-05-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2046515)
that as someone who was competing as an Amateur since 1968 I've a pretty good idea what I'm talking about...also at a fairly high level.

Then we should be in 100% agreement. Probably my misinterpretation--I thought your response to my post regarding the "me-first" attitude of some golfers implied I didn't know what I was talking about. I'll re-read it in light of our similar experiences.

Mortal1 01-05-2022 05:11 PM

And here's curly of the 3 stooges...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisport (Post 2046132)
Agree. Maybe putt between the legs like at miniature golf.

putting in their 2 cents worth. There's just something special about elementary humor.

dewilson58 01-05-2022 06:06 PM

all this amateur level bragging

i guess if the definition fits:
adjective

2. done in an incompetent or inept way.
"it's all so amateur!"
Similar: incompetent inept useless unskillful inexpert clumsy bumbling

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

golfing eagles 01-05-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2046533)
all this amateur level bragging

i guess if the definition fits:
adjective

2. done in an incompetent or inept way.
"it's all so amateur!"
Similar: incompetent inept useless unskillful inexpert clumsy bumbling

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Jealous????