Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/putting-green-etiquette-dont-hog-holes-327804/)

grayesun 01-02-2022 09:32 PM

Putting Green Etiquette - Don't Hog Holes.
 
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect! :coolsmiley:

HIgolfers 01-02-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayesun (Post 2045367)
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect! :coolsmiley:

This is my pet peeve as well!

dewilson58 01-03-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayesun (Post 2045367)
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.

Nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from putting at either hole.

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.

ThirdOfFive 01-03-2022 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayesun (Post 2045367)
Would really appreciate if players would try not to occupy TWO holes on the putting green while practicing. See this all the time, a player standing right beside ONE hole while putting towards a SECOND hole.
This is my last remaining golf peeve - all else in Villages golf is perfect! :coolsmiley:

Courtesy seems lacking at times, but that's not just in The Villages. We as a society have become much more self-centered and mean.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2045395)
Nothing, absolutely nothing stopping you from putting at either hole.

Putt at the hole he/she is standing by, bounce the ball off his/her foot.......he/she will get the idea.

Putt at the same hole he/she is.........if you hit his/her ball, no big deal, it's practice.

Agree. Even on the PGA tour, there is no courtesy given on the practice greens.

Mortal1 01-03-2022 09:12 AM

That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

The person putting to another hole is perfectly within etiquette guidelines, but should at least be a few feet from the hole while putting to another hole. You can always move your ball to another putting line. It is also okay for more than one person to putt to the same practice putting green hole.

Use of the practice putting green doesn't mean you must play from one hole to another. I often putt on one hole from different locations around that hole. In 57 years of tournament(usga)and non-tournament play this is accepted and occurs all the time...even on the pga tour. You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.

grayesun 01-03-2022 11:41 AM

Got no issue with multiple players putting towards same practice hole. Personally I prefer to putt towards a hole not guarded within a foot or two by someone putting away from that hole, who could easily move away a few feet, making the hole more accessible to others. Quoting Mandolorian, "this is the way".

DonH57 01-03-2022 12:22 PM

It gets more interesting when people start chipping balls into other people. :shocked:

Love2Swim 01-03-2022 01:00 PM

I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love2Swim (Post 2045559)
I hate it when people chip onto the putting green, which can put a number of putting holes out of commission for people. If there is a chipping green, pls confine your chipping to it.

Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.

Mortal1 01-03-2022 03:29 PM

actually nothing wrong...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2045595)
Which brings up another pet peeve---people who take the little pin out on the practice green, lay it down nearby, then surround it with half a dozen or so balls---as if they now "own" that hole. It's not just in TV, was out in Tuscon playing a pro-am last month and with 30 or 40 golfers on the practice green and 6 or 7 holes, there were people doing the same thing. Just another example of the ever growing and pervasive "me first" culture.

with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045606)
with this practice. happens at any club. has nothing to do with "me first" culture. those who think it does do not understand those who want to improve as opposed to those who go through the motions.

really???? I think after over 1/2 century of playing golf, previously at a very high amateur level, I have a pretty good idea of the difference

Rwirish 01-04-2022 06:03 AM

Oh so terrible!

DaleDivine 01-04-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045489)
That is not an etiquette breach. And you should specify that you are writing about practice putting greens as some exec courses have two holes.

You also see players putting to a tee stuck on the green.

I do this. I start about 3 feet out and put 2 balls to the tee. Then gradually move further away.
:coolsmiley:

banjobob 01-04-2022 07:32 AM

I agree one hole to practice is all you need why putt every hole on the practice green ,


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.32 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.