Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Staying by the green just played... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/staying-green-just-played-327813/)

Mortal1 01-03-2022 09:28 AM

Staying by the green just played...

while waiting for the next to clear(or practicing putting on that green while there are people on the tee waiting to play the hole you've just finished).

That is a complete breach of etiquette. When a hole is completed and the next tee has a group teeing off or waiting to tee off you pull up past the green just played, but before the next tee.

Now if a person on the next tee is set to hit then don't go further than between the green just played and the next tee behind their carts. Unbeknownst to most on the execs it is not a breach of etiquette to pull up behind the next tee carts while no one is hitting(or between players hitting). Most have been told not to pull up to close to those on the next tee, but that only applies to pulling up to the back tees as a courtesy suggested by the villages(only)because some folks don't like it. The USGA rule book only suggests that while others are in the process of teeing off you don't talk, play music or move around. As long as you are still and quiet you can pull up right behind their carts....again only if no one is in the process of teeing off.

Now it is perfectly okay if the people on the tee ahead of you request you back it up(not as far as the green behind you)and you should comply with their request...good manners.

As to those who say "well we can't go anywhere due to the people on the next tee" that is no excuse to keep those on the tee waiting to play the hole you just finished to have to wait. Now that is a breach of etiquette and it is not your function to affect pace of play when it's backed up...that would be a good ambassadors function.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045495)
while waiting for the next to clear(or practicing putting on that green while there are people on the tee waiting to play the hole you've just finished).

That is a complete breach of etiquette. When a hole is completed and the next tee has a group teeing off or waiting to tee off you pull up past the green just played, but before the next tee.

Now if a person on the next tee is set to hit then don't go further than between the green just played and the next tee behind their carts. Unbeknownst to most on the execs it is not a breach of etiquette to pull up behind the next tee carts while no one is hitting(or between players hitting). Most have been told not to pull up to close to those on the next tee, but that only applies to pulling up to the back tees as a courtesy suggested by the villages(only)because some folks don't like it. The USGA rule book only suggests that while others are in the process of teeing off you don't talk, play music or move around. As long as you are still and quiet you can pull up right behind their carts....again only if no one is in the process of teeing off.

Now it is perfectly okay if the people on the tee ahead of you request you back it up(not as far as the green behind you)and you should comply with their request...good manners.

As to those who say "well we can't go anywhere due to the people on the next tee" that is no excuse to keep those on the tee waiting to play the hole you just finished to have to wait. Now that is a breach of etiquette and it is not your function to affect pace of play when it's backed up...that would be a good ambassadors function.

Absolutely 100% correct!!!

As an interesting aside, was playing Destin about a year ago, came off 4 to go to 5, stopped at the gold tee as 2 women in a group were about to tee off from the YELLOW tees. Some idiot with them came running back up the cart path, screaming and waving his arms yelling back up, back up (interesting since we were just around the curve and probably 80+ yards behind the yellows). He screamed their wives don't like anyone watching them hit!!!!! I suggested that for $5-10 million he can build a very nice 18 hole course of his own and not have anyone watch them hit. Until then, they will be playing on relatively crowded courses with lots of people "watching" (like I'd ever be interested in how they hit a golf ball:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:)

Garywt 01-03-2022 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045495)

So did you have an issue this morning or are you just making a teaching moment. I have never seen anyone stay on a green after finishing the hole.

Mortal1 01-03-2022 10:28 AM

Nope...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 2045512)
So did you have an issue this morning or are you just making a teaching moment. I have never seen anyone stay on a green after finishing the hole.

didn't experience in the last few rounds, but I play 7days/wk and experience it about once a week.

It's an informative post since it appears some folks get quite angry when others approach the tee they are on when all they have to do is ask politely to hang back a bit. While others think it's their choice to take up spare time by practicing on the hole they just finished(or stay parked across from the green conversing and not moving as they should) with no thought or care about the group behind them.

No ulterior motive.

golfing eagles 01-03-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

It's not so much golfers staying on the green after finishing (although some exceptionally rude people do practice their putts while the group behind is waiting, but rarely). It's not moving away from the side of the green when finished---some fiddle in their bags for a minute or 2, some mark their scores, some just chit chat. It is particularly bad at the 18th green especially among linked groups that think it's ok to hold a town meeting right there. My new approach is that I give it a minute, the yell a loud "fore!". If no response, I just go ahead and hit, and hopefully don't have to yell another "fore!"

Garywt 01-03-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2045519)
didn't experience in the last few rounds, but I play 7days/wk and experience it about once a week.

It's an informative post since it appears some folks get quite angry when others approach the tee they are on when all they have to do is ask politely to hang back a bit. While others think it's their choice to take up spare time by practicing on the hole they just finished(or stay parked across from the green conversing and not moving as they should) with no thought or care about the group behind them.

No ulterior motive.

I get it. Some people get angry about many things but nothing worse than having someone drive up on your back swing.

MrFlorida 01-03-2022 01:01 PM

I agree, look behind you, if people are there, move along.

Edzo49 01-04-2022 07:03 AM

How about if a everyone spent a moment fixing their ball mark! PLEASE

DaleDivine 01-04-2022 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edzo49 (Post 2045759)
How about if a everyone spent a moment fixing their ball mark! PLEASE

YESSSS

:clap2::clap2:

DaleDivine 01-04-2022 08:04 AM

Quote:

I see it quite often. The worse is standing by the green of executive course after finishing the hole.
Two ladies were standing by their golf cart chatting away.:blahblahblah::blahblahblah: Yelled four but they just kept talking. Hit the ball on the green :duck: and one of the ladies turned and looked at us with outstretched arms and an expression of WTH. She complained to the ambassador and he told us to wait until they drove away.
:ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

DaleDivine 01-04-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2045510)
Absolutely 100% correct!!!

As an interesting aside, was playing Destin about a year ago, came off 4 to go to 5, stopped at the gold tee as 2 women in a group were about to tee off from the YELLOW tees. Some idiot with them came running back up the cart path, screaming and waving his arms yelling back up, back up (interesting since we were just around the curve and probably 80+ yards behind the yellows). He screamed their wives don't like anyone watching them hit!!!!! I suggested that for $5-10 million he can build a very nice 18 hole course of his own and not have anyone watch them hit. Until then, they will be playing on relatively crowded courses with lots of people "watching" (like I'd ever be interested in how they hit a golf ball:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:)

Similar situation at Mallory Hills. First tee, man and woman teeing off and a walk on told to join them. They teed off and the walk on stood there as they drove away. The starter went out and asked what was going on. Walk on said the lady didn't like playing with strangers??? Sooo, the walk on played by himself. Starter said that was a first for him in 15 years.

:ohdear::popcorn::popcorn:

dennisgavin 01-04-2022 08:41 AM

how about the starter not send groups out too quickly. I HATE waiting on each and every hole after the first couple of holes. And I don't mind others putting while waiting since my group will just end up sitting and waiting anyhow. I've actually left the course when back ups get two and three deep.

Tom M 01-04-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 2045797)
YESSSS

:clap2::clap2:

Fix two ball marks - yours and one other.

jimmy o 01-04-2022 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 2045811)
Similar situation at Mallory Hills. First tee, man and woman teeing off and a walk on told to join them. They teed off and the walk on stood there as they drove away. The starter went out and asked what was going on. Walk on said the lady didn't like playing with strangers??? Sooo, the walk on played by himself. Starter said that was a first for him in 15 years.

:ohdear::popcorn::popcorn:

The stater should have explained to the lady who doesn’t like playing with strangers that she needs to buy foursome tickets, as all golf courses allow for singles to complete a foursome. Golf courses are very expensive to keep up, and foursome money is what is budgeted for. Compare it flying nobody wants a stranger sitting next to them, but unless they buy that ticket too there will be someone in that seat.

DonH57 01-04-2022 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennisgavin (Post 2045838)
how about the starter not send groups out too quickly. I HATE waiting on each and every hole after the first couple of holes. And I don't mind others putting while waiting since my group will just end up sitting and waiting anyhow. I've actually left the course when back ups get two and three deep.

I've experienced that on courses with new inexperienced starters I've never met before. Usually the Ambassadors let them know what they're causing shortly.:popcorn: