Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Bermuda grass is considered(by green supt's)as a weed here... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/bermuda-grass-considered-green-supts-weed-here-327939/)

Mortal1 01-06-2022 03:02 PM

Bermuda grass is considered(by green supt's)as a weed here...

in florida and yet the par 4 at Sweetgum has a terrible fairway with sparse grass cover. now go over to southern star or Yankee Clipper and the par 4 fairways are gorgeous, thick and fun to play. really good at no. 9 on tarpon boil and no.5 at sandhill...all really fine fairways.

Same grass, same conditions....what gives? the par 4 fairways at palmetto are also notoriously poorly conditioned. You may as well be playing hard packed dirt...as a matter of fact hard packed dirt would play better.

Two Bills 01-06-2022 03:12 PM

Different and better green keepers.
Southern and Yankee are almost always in good condition.
Two of our favorite courses.
I think the same gang do Tarpon and Redfish as well.

DaleDivine 01-10-2022 10:20 PM

I think the greens, fairways and tee boxes are in 100% better condition above 466 than the ones between 466 and 44.
:bigbow::bigbow:

tophcfa 01-11-2022 09:53 AM

The grass on our lawn is a weed also, in some spots it’s perfect and in other spots not so much. It’s executive golf, what do you expect? If you get a hard packed lie on a par four, try pinching the ball. It’s good practice for when you pay to play the Championship courses.

Bethwill 01-12-2022 06:56 AM

The ages of the courses may also influence the turf conditions. The GOOD grass courses have been around a lot longer.

kcrazorbackfan 01-12-2022 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2046951)
in florida and yet the par 4 at Sweetgum has a terrible fairway with sparse grass cover. now go over to southern star or Yankee Clipper and the par 4 fairways are gorgeous, thick and fun to play. really good at no. 9 on tarpon boil and no.5 at sandhill...all really fine fairways.

Same grass, same conditions....what gives? the par 4 fairways at palmetto are also notoriously poorly conditioned. You may as well be playing hard packed dirt...as a matter of fact hard packed dirt would play better.

I really wished that the developers had started with Bermuda for the lawns years ago and continued with it; it’s much easier to take care of than Zoysia or St. Augustine.

valuemkt 01-12-2022 02:02 PM

Bermuda a weed ?? You must be joking.. Go a little further up north.. start at georgia.. and most wouldnt let their dogs crap on St Augustine because it is too rough, ugly and spindly.

HoosierPa 01-13-2022 05:57 AM

Bermuda won’t grow well in shade. Not a good option for lawns. Nematodes eat at it and it can go bad. Just like a lawn, there will be issues

Gac57 01-15-2022 04:34 PM

Looks kinda like poiana in a lot of the greens here. That's a weed.

Mortal1 01-16-2022 03:32 PM

yeah....I'd disagree....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleDivine (Post 2048373)
I think the greens, fairways and tee boxes are in 100% better condition above 466 than the ones between 466 and 44.
:bigbow::bigbow:

hawks bay sucks as do Chula Vista and Mira Mesa.

Mortal1 01-16-2022 03:34 PM

not sure I understand your post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by valuemkt (Post 2049003)
Bermuda a weed ?? You must be joking.. Go a little further up north.. start at georgia.. and most wouldnt let their dogs crap on St Augustine because it is too rough, ugly and spindly.

you question Bermuda grass being considered a weed by golf course supers then you talk about st. Augustine...what???? You yanking my chain? No joke as I actually talk to the supers...you?

Topspinmo 01-16-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2046951)

Hard packed? Try the red dirt in Oklahoma. Once hit ball 350 yards. Bounces down the fairway like playing on concrete.

tophcfa 01-16-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2050459)
hawks bay sucks as do Chula Vista and Mira Mesa.

Hmmm, played Mira Mesa yesterday and enjoyed it very much. The conditions were fine for an Executive course.

gbs317 01-30-2022 05:54 AM

Played Sweetgum Friday and, I’m no expert, but doesn’t grass go dormant in the winter and brown out. The greens were beautiful. My foursome had a good time. I guess just playing the game is fun for me.

RICH1 01-30-2022 06:10 AM

Playing behind a foursome the other day and smell weed drifting towards us… I would like to thank them for making it a wonderful day! Had a nice lunch & an early nap…