Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Golf cart heater (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/golf-cart-heater-328118/)

Golfer222 01-12-2022 06:51 AM

Golf cart heater

Looking for a NON propane heater for golf cart. USB or 12 volt powered. Any suggestions.
Thanks

Toymeister 01-12-2022 08:54 AM

You can get 12 volt auto "defrosters" but you do not get to rewrite Ohms laws and how many BTUs that you can get from 12 volts.

While you can get a few thousand BTUs from a propane heater (perhaps 5,000) you can only get 500 from 12 volts and that's just theory, in actually, with the gauge of wire that is in a cart you'll get 200 tops.

With USB you'll get ten.

Now, if you have an electric cart with massive battery reserves and voltage above 12 volts and are willing to add some heavy gauge wires in, that's a different story.

If you change your mind on propane, I have one. I got it with a cart that I sold off $35.00

Golfer222 01-12-2022 09:17 AM

just something a little un-nerving about having a propane heater in such a small enclosed space

villagetinker 01-12-2022 09:20 AM

Also, many carts have the 12 volt accessory port connected to the MAIN fuse, and guess what, when that fuse blows the cart stops, and depending on the wiring harness used it can be very hard to find this fuse. IMHO, the electric only heaters will not work well (as noted above), sorry I do not have any other alternatives except for the propane heaters.

tophcfa 01-12-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2048855)
Also, many carts have the 12 volt accessory port connected to the MAIN fuse, and guess what, when that fuse blows the cart stops, and depending on the wiring harness used it can be very hard to find this fuse. IMHO, the electric only heaters will not work well (as noted above), sorry I do not have any other alternatives except for the propane heaters.

We found an excellent alternative that has no draw on the battery, a jacket, hat, and pair of gloves. Works excellent : (

Garywt 01-12-2022 09:38 AM

My son got me a propane heater for Christmas. Had one before in a different golf cart situation. Look forward to bringing it down with me next week.

frose 01-12-2022 10:44 AM

check out lowes i just saw them there

EdFNJ 01-12-2022 11:13 AM

You can also try a metal salad bowl, some wood chips or wood pellets, lighter fluid and a lighter. Should warm you up real quick and not need that dangerous propane. Just don't make any sharp turns.

CWGUY 01-12-2022 11:19 AM

:ohdear: I saw a sunbrella enclosure on a cart catch on fire and burn with the expected damage. It was on a golf course here on a cold windy day. Side panel blew into the cart after driver got out and walked to his ball.

DALEPQ 01-12-2022 12:07 PM

Golf Cart Heater

Most all Carts with Sunbrella tops are not secure enough to hold in much heat.
I have an electric plug in one that is basically useless when riding since more air comes
in through various places.
I think it is a pure waste of $$ to get an electric plug-in heater.
But, you can try it for yourself if you so choose.

Golfer222 01-12-2022 01:06 PM

Regarding post # 5 and post # 8

hahahahaha- extremely witty- roflmao- lolololololololololololol-is that the response you were so in need of?

Why is it that there is ALWAYS a few that think they are the funniest people in the room and just HAVE to comment with out any substantive contribution

EdFNJ 01-12-2022 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfer222 (Post 2048983)
Regarding post # 5 and post # 8

hahahahaha- extremely witty- roflmao- lolololololololololololol-is that the response you were so in need of?

Why is it that there is ALWAYS a few that think they are the funniest people in the room and just HAVE to comment with out any substantive contribution

Probably 80% of the posts on TOTV are "without substantive contribution." ;) Why are there always a few who are always a bunch of grumpy old people? If there are too many posts "without any substantive contribution" by the same posters one can easily block those posters completely with the "IGNORE" function on the forum and never have to see their posts again. To do that one can click on USER CP on the top bar of the forum then on the left side is EDIT IGNORE LIST. Open that and add any user and they will never be seen again!

Have a happy day and remember: Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella - YouTube

Another alternative for some people is try a couple of these pills: :1rotfl:

DaleDivine 01-13-2022 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfer222 (Post 2048770)
Looking for a NON propane heater for golf cart. USB or 12 volt powered. Any suggestions.
Thanks

You can buy the plug in ones at Rural King for less than $20.
I bought a propane heater last year and only lit it on a cold day to see if it works.
I've never really needed one after putting all the curtains down. It stays pretty warm in the cart.
:ho::clap2:

Bay Kid 01-13-2022 06:44 AM

Another great thing about a gas cart is a little heat from the motor. On cold days I park in the sun before leaving. Best if sun can hit the seat. I always keep a blanket in the upper rear storage tray.

GoneFishing 01-13-2022 07:20 AM

We have a blanket that has pockets that you put hand warmers in. My wife puts it across her lap and legs. Works fine for cart rides.