Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Feral Hogs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/feral-hogs-328123/)

wyealbert 01-12-2022 09:16 AM

Feral Hogs

There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!

tophcfa 01-12-2022 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyealbert (Post 2048849)
There was an article in yesterday's Daily Sun about the growing feral hog population in Florida, resulting in property destruction and spreading of many diseases. The Florida Water Management District conducts regular hunts to help control the population, but it sounds like it's not enough. Hunters are required to purchase a $75 permit in order to legally hunt these hogs. Plus, if you employ a hunting service, that is an additional cost. If the problem is so great, why not offer a bounty for killed hogs? They do it for pythons. Just another bureaucracy not thinking clearly!

That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.

Dana1963 01-12-2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2048861)
That’s a great idea, it used to work on the seals in New England. Since the bounty was lifted the waters have been overrun with seals, Great White Sharks that feast on the seals, seal crap, and the fishing is horrible since the seals eat most of the game fish. Unfortunately, the second the animal rights activists hear the word bounty, watch out.

Between 1880–1962, gray and harbor seals were targeted in legal seal bounty hunts across Maine and Massachusetts due to a perceived competition with commercial fisheries. Following their extirpation 50 years ago

fdpaq0580 01-12-2022 10:04 AM

New menu items?

If the law was only wild caught could be sold for food, might help reduce numbers of feral hogs and snakes and other invasive species. Heavy fines plus jail time for those breeding them in captivity. Exotic foods can be great. Put them on the menu until they are wiped out.

DAVES 01-12-2022 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyealbert (Post 2048849)

There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.

ThirdOfFive 01-12-2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVES (Post 2049060)
There are no PERFECT answers. "Legally hunt these hogs." Sooner or later we will read someone injured. A wild hog is actually a dangerous animal. There is a,"sport," of hunting them with pistols. Poison? Sooner or later someone's dog, pet camel? will eat it.

Swamp people? Like so many reality TV shows they make far more for the videos than for alligators. So many such shows. Antique road show. Yup we only drove 3,000 mile to buy this item for $1,000 and I'll bet we can get $1300 for it. That will pay our mortgage, staff of four plus. Pawn stars-no I will pay you more than you are asking. My expert-he is not only waiting for me to call but he gladly works for free.

I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.

thevillages2013 01-13-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2049124)
I've heard that some people use spears to hunt feral hogs. No thanks. No way am I getting within a few feet of one of those with just a pointed stick.

My son (who is moving down here in a few months) and I have talked about hunting them. I used to make sausage, and pork (wild or not) is the primary ingredient in the sausages I made. If we do it will be with a weapon that has a bit more range than a spear.

Use a slingshot and give them a sporting chance:bigbow:

tsmall22204 01-13-2022 06:07 AM

And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.

DaleDivine 01-13-2022 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsmall22204 (Post 2049151)
And why again is this an issue with you? I think some people search for things to post and complain about.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Pat_RI 01-13-2022 06:36 AM

Driving back from picking up someone at MCO at night 5 years ago I saw about 20 of them of all sizes in the road and on the median on Buena Vista north of Brownwood. Some of them were huge and they were digging around. At first I thought it was a pack of dogs or something but nope wild pigs. Have seen one since.

dewilson58 01-13-2022 06:44 AM

The cost for this sport is very cheap.
The $75 is like a trail fee.
Great target practice.
Jus keep a pair of boots in the trunk.

Luggage 01-13-2022 06:50 AM

I hunted mosquitoes and use a swatter

Mistymom 01-13-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2049124)

My neighbors in Georgia hunted wild hogs on their ATV's using either rifles or combination bows and arrows. They were quite successful and shared their really good sausage with us.

Kgcetm 01-13-2022 07:14 AM

Ill have an order of “Stinky Pig with Slick Wilies”?)

Fastskiguy 01-13-2022 07:24 AM

Secretly I’m rooting for the wild pigs!