Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roof Rats (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roof-rats-328164/)

Michael G. 01-13-2022 04:06 PM

Roof Rats

I walk over to the neighbors today for a friendly chat and he said he and his wife
thought they had squirrels on their roof.

Hired a exterminator and he told them they had roof rats in their attic. (goggle it).

Roof rats are the worst rodent pest in the state of Florida and most abundant. The Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) that is familiar to most people is rare in Florida. Roof rats consume and destroy stored animal and human food, attack fruit crops, and take up residence in attics, soffits, hollow walls, and out-buildings.

Anyone have them ?

Mortal1 01-13-2022 04:48 PM

And if a person did have them what would you do with that information?

GrnThumb 01-13-2022 05:06 PM

Tell them not to have palm trees close to the house and get rid of bird feeders!

Michael G. 01-13-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 2049468)
And if a person did have them what would you do with that information?

Just a friendly question and what people did to get rid of them.

ex34449 01-13-2022 05:39 PM

DO NOT use poison. Get a rat trap and secure it to something. Bait it with Doritos (yes they love them). We have had several. All were caught the first night.
If you have tile vs shingle roofs you will have a little more difficulty as they may not be entering your attic but living under the tiles.

vintageogauge 01-13-2022 05:43 PM

I once set a rat trap back for a friend and went over the next day only to find I killed a dove. I then used poison, problem solved.

Michael G. 01-13-2022 05:52 PM

No poison here.
Buy and bait the enclosed bait boxes from Tractor Supply

They chew on the bait, exit the box, look for water then explode and keel over.

ex34449 01-13-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2049485)
I once set a rat trap back for a friend and went over the next day only to find I killed a dove. I then used poison, problem solved.

You put it in the wrong spot. Use poison, it dies in you attic your home will smell like hell for weeks, use poison and it dies outside for the hawks or fox to eat and you've killed them as well. Poison isn't what you want to use.

triflex 01-13-2022 06:19 PM

Exploding rats ? Mutual of Boomaha's Wild Kingdom.:boom:

If that starts happening please let us know because I am going to come watch that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2049494)
No poison here.

tophcfa 01-13-2022 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2049494)
No poison here.

Hmmm, you don’t use poison but instead put out bait that makes them explode? What non poisonous bait causes them to explode and keel over?

DAVES 01-13-2022 07:32 PM

It is interest man has been trying to get rid of mice, rats and cocker roaches. Like forever.
Here in Florida we got rid of cockeroaches by naming them water bugs.

Someone suggested doretos as bait. Only in the villages do the rats prefer a branded product. Might be interesting to see if the generic brand works as well? TV ads our no name corn chips out perform the name brand in rat traps.

Far as I know we do not have any rats or mice. Based on past experience. Peanut butter works best.

The poison is warfarin. Same chemical used as a blood thinner in humans. It works because rats and mice cannot throw up. It causes them to bleed internally and die.
That is why they seek water-loss of body fluids. I don't think it will kill birds of prey. They will simply throw up the poisoned rodent

Not very kind? Glue traps are not kind either.

DAVES 01-13-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2049512)
Hmmm, you don’t use poison but instead put out bait that makes them explode? What non poisonous bait causes them to explode and keel over?

Old cheap solutions. Fast cook rice. They eat it, it absorbs water in the body and they die.
Hum could have been saved by exlax?

La lamy 01-14-2022 05:53 AM

I use plug in Ultrasonic Pest Repellers near every sink and they seem to work. Not sure if they would help with attic rats though.

DaleDivine 01-14-2022 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triflex (Post 2049500)
Exploding rats ? Mutual of Boomaha's Wild Kingdom.:boom:

If that starts happening please let us know because I am going to come watch that.

He could put trail cams up and video it then put it on YouTube and make money...
:a040::popcorn::popcorn:

rherb55 01-14-2022 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2049453)
I walk over to the neighbors today for a friendly chat and he said he and his wife
thought they had squirrels on their roof.

Hired a exterminator and he told them they had roof rats in their attic. (goggle it).

Roof rats are the worst rodent pest in the state of Florida and most abundant. The Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) that is familiar to most people is rare in Florida. Roof rats consume and destroy stored animal and human food, attack fruit crops, and take up residence in attics, soffits, hollow walls, and out-buildings.

Anyone have them ?

No… do not have them but have heard about them and was informed to put
Moth Balls up in your attic… ever since I have been here in THE VILLAGES, I have put them in our attic and have had NO PROBLEM…..