Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Looking for Koi fish (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/looking-koi-fish-329769/)

mistamick 03-02-2022 03:47 PM

Looking for Koi fish

If anyone has some extra small to moderate sized Koi fish, I would be grateful to accept them for my pond here in The Villages.
Please contact me at 352.661.5171.
Thanks in advance.

Mick

fdpaq0580 03-02-2022 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistamick (Post 2067527)
If anyone has some extra small to moderate sized Koi fish, I would be grateful to accept them for my pond here in The Villages.
Thanks in advance.

Mick

Sorry. I already ate mine. Maybe someone else has some.

Bjeanj 03-02-2022 04:04 PM

Is this your first koi pond down here? Is the pond outside with no protection?

If so, don’t be surprised if they disappear quickly. We have quite a few birds that really like them.

Stu from NYC 03-02-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Mick

I have no idea where to get them but do know that the former owner of our house bought them.

Bjeanj 03-02-2022 05:50 PM

Pet smart?

Iknowwhaturthinking2 04-07-2022 09:29 AM

Koi Wanted….

Hi there Mick!
I’ve raised Koi for many years. In Florida the minimum length you should seek is 10 inches due to the large birds that will likely want to eat them…Wood Storks will congregate and patiently wait for a koi to snack on, even if it takes all day. They have been the largest threat to my collection. I personally would get small koi then “grow them out” to a safe size in a 55 gallon outside Rubbermaid pond before transferring them into my man made backyard pond. Koi can be incredibly expensive, with many breeders charging by the inch…oh yes size matters in this case…some fetching in the thousands of dollars depending on their scales, patterns and coloring for a 12 inch species.
One might suggest to go get a few dozen feeder goldfish from the pet store as they grow fast and get large in a relatively short amount of time. BUT!….keep in mind that if you dump what’s considered an invasive species in a community pond, you could get in deep trouble from Florida, Fish & Wildlife! Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions you may have🐟

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Mick