Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Beware of The Chop House (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/beware-chop-house-329929/)

eray0141 03-06-2022 01:57 PM

Beware of The Chop House

Beware of the Chop House. On Friday March 5th we had a birthday celebration at the Chop House. Our table was ready at the reserved time and we were greeted by our server. I ordered the catch of the day which was sword fish along with potato and broccoli. When our meals were delivered, mine was not. The server said that it was not prepared as I ordered and it would be out soon. It finally arrived (partially) when everyone else had eaten almost half or more of theirs. The broccolli was not on the plate and it would be out momentarily. It actually never came. The final insult was when the bill was presented. The charge for the sword fish was $38.00 for a relatively small portion. We know that prices are rising but to get poor service at a premium price is very disappointing.

Chi-Town 03-06-2022 02:19 PM

Probably best to order a chop at the Chop House and swordfish at Blue Fin.

CWGUY 03-06-2022 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eray0141 (Post 2069137)
Beware of the Chop House. On Friday March 5th we had a birthday celebration at the Chop House. Our table was ready at the reserved time and we were greeted by our server. I ordered the catch of the day which was sword fish along with potato and broccoli. When our meals were delivered, mine was not. The server said that it was not prepared as I ordered and it would be out soon. It finally arrived (partially) when everyone else had eaten almost half or more of theirs. The broccolli was not on the plate and it would be out momentarily. It actually never came. The final insult was when the bill was presented. The charge for the sword fish was $38.00 for a relatively small portion. We know that prices are rising but to get poor service at a premium price is very disappointing.

:ohdear: Next time ask the price if you don't see it.

Here is a thread on Grouper at the Chop House with 175 plus posts.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...hlight=grouper

Number 10 GI 03-06-2022 02:52 PM

So, we are supposed to stay away from Chop House because you had a bad experience? Stuff happens from time to time and it can be annoying, however have you never made a mistake in your life?

Keefelane66 03-06-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Just a general statement we eat out frequently in The Villages. Last week we stayed with vacationing friends in Orlando ate out every night including Disney Springs. Prices were very reasonable as compared to here and portions generous. Convenience is great but a week away from the bubble I feel we are being taken for a ride. Only an opinion.

ThirdOfFive 03-06-2022 04:36 PM

Quote:

We had a somewhat similar experience: VERY tough chateaubriand, a broccoli side that was mush, lukewarm coffee (twice) and barely so-so service. If we were charged $50- to $70 I'd have been a little peeved at most. However for a total price of $150 + for two people...well, we expected a lot better. This was on a Friday night, by the way, which meant the A team was on the floor.

We won't be going back. We patronize instead the Legacy Restaurant at Nancy Lopez. Top-of-the-line service, generous portions no matter when you go, and excellent fare: their chateaubriand was melt-in-your-mouth tender and far more flavorful than that served up by Chop House.

Stu from NYC 03-06-2022 04:39 PM

When a restaurant offers a special best to ask the price as often it is rather high.

davem4616 03-06-2022 06:35 PM

IMHO, the Chop House is one of the better eateries ...

that said, as an earlier post said, you don't order fish at a steak house,
and you don't order steak at a fish house

pauld315 03-06-2022 07:14 PM

Always ask what the special will cost if they don't volunteer the information up front. I hope you spoke to the manager before complaining in social media

Garywt 03-06-2022 09:18 PM

We have been once with no plans to return. Would rather go to Texas Roadhouse.

Anyway you should have received a reduced price especially since you never go your full meal. Not a good way to run a business.

Mrprez 03-07-2022 04:51 AM

What did the manager say when you brought this to their attention? The time to deal with these issues is right then. Before you pay the bill.

Rwirish 03-07-2022 05:54 AM

Wow, sure a reason to beware of the Chop House - not. Might be good to check prices first ( fish is expensive ).

Papa_lecki 03-07-2022 05:59 AM

I was at the Chop House Friday and had a GREAT experience.

banjobob 03-07-2022 06:15 AM

Having owned and operated restaurants for many years , I feel qualified to chime in, kitchens are geared to prepare menu items as printed ,when “special” requests are made it screws up the flow of production, just order as the menu describes it with a lot less disappointment. Special requests are usually handled properly.

Alie222 03-07-2022 06:42 AM

I had the worst steak ever at the chop House so I will never order steak from there again. The chicken dish was excellent and Ahi Tuna appetizer is fabulous. I will stick to those two dishes when I go there. If I complain to the manager they would take it off the bill and I don't want them to do that. One time I pointed it out after I paid the bill and was walking out the door and the manager and I had to go back and forth because he wanted to take it off the bill. Restaurants have suffered so much in the past that I'd rather just stick to what I find good and that's it.