Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dark painted homes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dark-painted-homes-329942/)

coffeebean 03-06-2022 06:57 PM

Dark painted homes

I've noticed some homes have been painted very dark colors and they really stick out like sore thumbs in a community of light colored homes. The reason I am finally posting about it is today I saw a home that most certainly looks to be painted black. Are these dark colors really approved by The Villages? They look so out of place, not only in The Villages, but in Florida.

Bjeanj 03-06-2022 07:07 PM

It’s all about two things:
1) deed restrictions for that area.
2) if against restrictions, has anyone reported it

If it’s not in your neighborhood, you don’t really have any business reporting it, IMO.

pauld315 03-06-2022 07:10 PM

They haven't been approved but nobody complains so it is what it is. Even if you complain, nothing will happen because the CDD supervisors just cave

asianthree 03-06-2022 08:48 PM

Chitty Chatty has homes in Navy Blue, Black, and Forest Green. Pastels in Florida are going by the wayside. Of course one can always paint their house the 50 shades of beige, that are found in older neighborhoods. Developers must have a variety of light beige, every 10 houses, darken the vat one shade then paint ten more houses

Garywt 03-06-2022 08:56 PM

The new section has a lot of darker colors that I just love. Obviously if the Villages paint them they are allowed. Since these new colors are allowed in the south then maybe they are on the list for everyone.

Bjeanj 03-06-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 2069298)
The new section has a lot of darker colors that I just love. Obviously if the Villages paint them they are allowed. Since these new colors are allowed in the south then maybe they are on the list for everyone.

Not strictly true. You need to get approval from your district.

Calisport 03-06-2022 09:28 PM

I was just noticing that in the new areas today - Dark colored houses. In Florida that can't be good.

Bonanza 03-06-2022 10:38 PM

New House Pint Colors

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisport (Post 2069315)
I was just noticing that in the new areas today - Dark colored houses. In Florida that can't be good.

Why can't it be good in Florida?
Three cheers for getting rid of the "cookie-cutter" look, and what a nice change!

Now when these homeowners come home after imbibing a little too much, they won't mistakenly go to the wrong house!

MDLNB 03-07-2022 05:51 AM

I needed to paint my home so I did a poll in the neighborhood to see what would be acceptable by my neighbors. I never realized that someone driving through the neighborhood would be offended by "our" color choice. Next time, I will have to do a nation wide poll to get a consensus. When I first started my poll, I had way too many folks that wished for me to paint my house hot pink, so I had to extend the cutoff date so I could get more votes. Apparently, my neighborhood is partial to violet. Now, I find it necessary to change my roofing color. Darn, trying to please everyone is getting so expensive. Wish the Villages would use a color palette to make this decision easier. Oh, wait..............

BlueStarAirlines 03-07-2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 2069335)
Why can't it be good in Florida?

Just off the top of my head, the darker colors retain heat which will increase cooling costs.

All State Insurance

banjobob 03-07-2022 06:05 AM

Satire

banjobob 03-07-2022 06:09 AM

Give these “new” decorator colors 10-15 years and see if they are still the”in” thing of maybe house painting could be an upcoming business in the south 44 areas.

crash 03-07-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banjobob (Post 2069359)
Give these “new” decorator colors 10-15 years and see if they are still the”in” thing of maybe house painting could be an upcoming business in the south 44 areas.

In 10-15 years you will need to repaint. So if they are not the thing you can repaint to what is if that is your thing c

DisneyHawksMom 03-07-2022 06:42 AM

So.. our house is not Black it is as dark gray as possible.. we wanted Black but it was not allowed. We back up to Meggison so we hear all of the comments.. makes us laugh. Its much easier to tell people that you are the dark gray house than the tan one.. we custom built the house, so everything is all approved.. Next time instead of gasping or making a comment.. say hello.. :)

MandoMan 03-07-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calisport (Post 2069315)

Some colors fade much faster than others. Some brands of paint flake and fade much faster than others. White galvanized steel on the roof reflects much more heat than do dark shingles. White galvanized steel can save a lot of money in cooling costs. Of course, it’s not allowed here.

“ A white, galvanized metal roof should save a customer who lives in an average-size 1,770 square foot home approximately $128 or 23 percent annually in cooling costs, compared with a dark gray shingle roof on the same home. For the same size home, white, S-shaped cement tile produces the second-best savings of $110 or 20 percent of annual cooling costs followed by white, flat cement calculated at $96 per year for a 17 percent savings compared to the dark gray shingles. White shingled roofs trim $24, or about four percent off the annual cooling bill, while terra cotta S-shaped cement tiles net a modest $15, or three percent compared to dark gray shingles.”
(Energy Study Helps Homeowners Keep Cooling Costs From Going Through The Roof)