Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Villagers SLOW DOWN! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/villagers-slow-down-331933/)

Sportsguy1 05-11-2022 09:02 PM

Villagers SLOW DOWN!

Even though I have rented and spent weeks in The Villages over the past 15 years I have called The Villages ‘home’ since moving here from the Midwest this past summer. One thing I just can’t understand is why do so many Villagers drive so fast or come up on you and get so close to you as they follow you and act upset when they don’t think you are driving fast enough! What is the big hurry? You are retired! Slow down and smell the roses!!! I had an incident yesterday where I was driving my car in the Spanish Spring area from a country club and I had to share the road with two golf carts that were ahead of me in a residential area that didn’t have golf cart lanes along the road. Another vehicle comes flying up behind me, is waving his arms because I’m not passing these two golf carts heading toward Morse Blvd. it would have been too dangerous to pass and it was only a couple of blocks at most. I don’t get it. What’s the big hurry? Haven’t you heard the song lyrics ‘ I rush and rush until life’s no fun, all I have to do is live and die, I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why’! Slow down, there is a speed limit, try to stay somewhere close to it! I know what some of you are thinking. It’s not just the Villagers driving like this, it’s the non village residents too. Well for us residents retiring here it’s OUR community and if we Villagers slow down a bit and drive safer maybe everyone else will take our lead and just might drive a little slower and safer too. We need to set the tone. Take your time. Be safe. Avoid accidents and chill out a bit! And……. don’t even get me started on the roundabouts! Now go have a nice day and Be Well!!

thevillages2013 05-12-2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 (Post 2094643)
Even though I have rented and spent weeks in The Villages over the past 15 years I have called The Villages ‘home’ since moving here from the Midwest this past summer. One thing I just can’t understand is why do so many Villagers drive so fast or come up on you and get so close to you as they follow you and act upset when they don’t think you are driving fast enough! What is the big hurry? You are retired! Slow down and smell the roses!!! I had an incident yesterday where I was driving my car in the Spanish Spring area from a country club and I had to share the road with two golf carts that were ahead of me in a residential area that didn’t have golf cart lanes along the road. Another vehicle comes flying up behind me, is waving his arms because I’m not passing these two golf carts heading toward Morse Blvd. it would have been too dangerous to pass and it was only a couple of blocks at most. I don’t get it. What’s the big hurry? Haven’t you heard the song lyrics ‘ I rush and rush until life’s no fun, all I have to do is live and die, I’m in a hurry and I don’t know why’! Slow down, there is a speed limit, try to stay somewhere close to it! I know what some of you are thinking. It’s not just the Villagers driving like this, it’s the non village residents too. Well for us residents retiring here it’s OUR community and if we Villagers slow down a bit and drive safer maybe everyone else will take our lead and just might drive a little slower and safer too. We need to set the tone. Take your time. Be safe. Avoid accidents and chill out a bit! And……. don’t even get me started on the roundabouts! Now go have a nice day and Be Well!!

Since we are complaining about drivers in TV my complaint is the opposite of your’s. Why would anyone drive a car 25 mph on a 30 mph road especially the ones with golf cart lanes beside them. Most carts go 25 mph. We had guests in town last month and rented a four seater cart from TV. That thing went exactly 15 mph not one bit faster. Had to pull off on the grass on the rec trail a few times to let a line of carts pass. Embarrassing.

ThirdOfFive 05-12-2022 05:45 AM

Quote:

There is nothing as obstreperous as an entitled geezer.

ThirdOfFive 05-12-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevillages2013 (Post 2094670)
Since we are complaining about drivers in TV my complaint is the opposite of your’s. Why would anyone drive a car 25 mph on a 30 mph road especially the ones with golf cart lanes beside them. Most carts go 25 mph. We had guests in town last month and rented a four seater cart from TV. That thing went exactly 15 mph not one bit faster. Had to pull off on the grass on the rec trail a few times to let a line of carts pass. Embarrassing.

Darn near had a head-on yesterday with a cart passing two bicyclists on a turn. Managed to swerve onto the grass just in time.

Cart paths and roads are meant to be SHARED. No one person owns them. Nor is any one person entitled to break the law just because he or she feels entitled to do so.

Driving 5 mph below the speed limit is not against the law.

Eg_cruz 05-12-2022 05:52 AM

Quote:

Let me guess. You are perfectly fine with slow traffic in the left lane, as long as they are going the speed limit.
I would agree speed has seemed to step it up around here

MDLNB 05-12-2022 06:21 AM

Don't forget, you will see a lot of "outsiders" speeding on their way to work, going to and from lunch, etc. Rt441 slows them down, with the construction and lights.

TrapX 05-12-2022 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2094674)
Driving 5 mph below the speed limit is not against the law.

Well... that's not exactly true...
Going slower than traffic is often dangerous. Dangerous driving is illegal.
It is illegal to putz in the left lane, and thus impede faster traffic. No matter what their speed is.
Going slower than other traffic causes everybody else to have to deal with your vehicle as a hazard. If they are involved in an accident as a result of your irresponsible actions, which were the root cause for the accident, you can be held responsible. Lots of lawyers out there appreciate your actions.

How about driving properly? If you are not comfortable, drive at another time when there is less traffic.
Things going too fast for you? Maybe you should not be driving.

When you think everybody else is wrong, typically it's you who is wrong. Step back, rethink your stance, and consider making changes.

Bay Kid 05-12-2022 06:39 AM

If you got to pee you got to go!

GpaVader 05-12-2022 06:55 AM

First of all, not all of us are retired yet. Second, if you are driving the speed limit, it's their problem. Thirdly, if you are in a two lane traffic and you are in the left lane holding up traffic, consider pulling into the right lane to let them pass. Fourthly, use your judgment about passing carts in residential areas, if its not safe don't do it, if there is room and its safe you are better off going around them. Finally, remember in most cases you will never see these people again. Not worth getting upset about, let them go around and enjoy the rest of your day.

MrFlorida 05-12-2022 07:03 AM

My cart can't go more than 20 mph, and most carts are the same as mine.... 20 mph is the speed limit here in the Villages anyway. Going 25 isn't going to get you there much that much sooner , so slow down and enjoy life.

brianherlihy 05-12-2022 07:11 AM

i drive and y dont the cars that want to go slow stay out of the left land. i saw tow cars goi the same speed one in the right lane and one in the left for a long time

Wing-nut2 05-12-2022 07:11 AM

Why can't drivers use the right lane? Are they only qualified to drive in the left lane? Why do they drive side by side and never pass someone? Keep right except to pass!

PersonOfInterest 05-12-2022 08:28 AM

Being retired doesn't mean I have nothing to do and all the time in the world. When I'm in my Car or my Cart I've got someplace to go and usually a time that I have to be there. I do Always leave early if I can. I don't mind if You want to go slow, but thought should be given to whether you're impeding others. If you have that much time on your hands and want to go slow and 'smell the roses' consider walking and getting some exercise as well.

Sportsguy1 05-12-2022 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest (Post 2094749)
Being retired doesn't mean I have nothing to do and all the time in the world. When I'm in my Car or my Cart I've got someplace to go and usually a time that I have to be there. I do Always leave early if I can. I don't mind if You want to go slow, but thought should be given to whether you're impeding others. If you have that much time on your hands and want to go slow and 'smell the roses' consider walking and getting some exercise as well.

You totally missed my message….I’m
Not talking about a person driving ‘slow’ on a 35 mph street like Morse Blvd or Buena Vista and you are only going 25. I’m talking about being on a street with one way lane traffic each way following two golf carts and they’re going 20-22 mph and it’s dangerous to pass and a guy gets right up on your tail and is waving and acting like a jerk. Also if I’m on Morse or Buena Vista and I’m going 5 miles or so OVER the 35 mph speed limit I’ve had people coming flying up on my tail and get all worked up I’m not going faster. I’m just saying, slow down, drive ‘around the speed’ limit and don’t be a jerk! #BeWell

Bilyclub 05-12-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy1 (Post 2094776)
You totally missed my message….I’m
Not talking about a person driving ‘slow’ on a 35 mph street like Morse Blvd or Buena Vista and you are only going 25. I’m talking about being on a street with one way lane traffic each way following two golf carts and they’re going 20-22 mph and it’s dangerous to pass and a guy gets right up on your tail and is waving and acting like a jerk. Also if I’m on Morse or Buena Vista and I’m going 5 miles or so OVER the 35 mph speed limit I’ve had people coming flying up on my tail and get all worked up I’m not going faster. I’m just saying, slow down, drive ‘around the speed’ limit and don’t be a jerk! #BeWell

Drivers must not continue to drive a vehicle in the far left lane when being overtaken by a faster moving vehicle, unless the driver is preparing for a left-hand turn at an intersection. Drivers failing to move from the far left lane will receive a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation.