Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Shutting off water main to home due to heading up north (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/shutting-off-water-main-home-due-heading-up-north-332050/)

B-flat 05-16-2022 08:46 AM

Shutting off water main to home due to heading up north

We are heading up north for 4 months. We have a gas hot water heater that I turn to low/vacation mode. My question is can I safely shut off the main supply of water to the home without the possibility of causing damage to the hot water heater?

I'm leaving the irrigation system on.

villagetinker 05-16-2022 08:49 AM

Make sure you turn off the hot water heater (gas or electric).

tophcfa 05-16-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-flat (Post 2095909)
We are heading up north for 4 months. We have a gas hot water heater that I turn to low/vacation mode. My question is can I safely shut off the main supply of water to the home without the possibility of causing damage to the hot water heater?

I'm leaving the irrigation system on.

Should be OK unless somehow the water gets drained from the tank. Our water heater is electric so we simply turn off the water and throw off the circuit breaker to the tank, but with gas you would have to shut off the gas line and turn off the pilot light, which is more cumbersome. The tank should have a built in safety mechanism that would not allow the heater to kick on if the tank is dry, but “should” and “does” are not always one in the same.

rjm1cc 05-16-2022 09:39 AM

I do this for trips of several weeks. Do not see a problem for longer time but good that you are asking the question.

B-flat 05-16-2022 09:52 AM

Thanks you for giving me something to think about. I’ve had trouble relighting the pilot light on the gas heater in the past so I’m a little reluctant to mess with the pilot and shutting it off completely.

I just may be better off shutting the water to the washing machine instead. The only reason I didn’t originally want to shut off the washer is because it’s in a hard to get location we have stackable washer and dryer and I have to pull them out from the wall. It’s much easier just to shut the water stop into the house from outdoors.

Bay Kid 05-17-2022 06:56 AM

Is turning off the main house water an advantage having instant hot water, gas or electric.

retiredguy123 05-17-2022 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 2096164)
Is turning off the main house water an advantage having instant hot water, gas or electric.

The main reason for turning off the water is to prevent damage to the house if there is a water leak. A water leak that goes undetected for days or weeks can almost totally destroy a house. I've seen it happen, especially up north when there is a leak on the top floor of a multi-story house.

rjm1cc 05-17-2022 12:41 PM

I have a neighbor who left for the summer but left the water on to the house. A pipe broke in the bathroom and caused considerable damage. I would turn the water off to the home not just the washer.

davem4616 05-17-2022 02:43 PM

don't forget to empty the ice out of the ice maker if you're turning off the fridge

dewilson58 05-17-2022 02:57 PM

We shut off house water and shut off the water heater.

laboutj 05-18-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2096358)
We shut off house water and shut off the water heater.

Same. We also unplug everything except the modem/router and security system

dewilson58 05-18-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboutj (Post 2096684)
Same. We also unplug everything except the modem/router and security system

:bigbow:

Take batteries out of everything (not smoke detectors).......even those fake candles (which I don't understand)