Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   My bad, vinyl siding repair (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/my-bad-vinyl-siding-repair-332332/)

Shbullet 05-26-2022 12:55 PM

My bad, vinyl siding repair

Opened the hot grill cover too close to the house siding. Curled about 3 pieces 1 ft long.

Anybody know how to repair or have recommendations? Also will need matching siding.

Thanks

photo1902 05-26-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shbullet (Post 2099269)
Opened the hot grill cover too close to the house siding. Curled about 3 pieces 1 ft long.

Anybody know how to repair or have recommendations? Also will need matching siding.

Thanks

Vinyl siding is easy to remove and replace.

Email home warranty (product.info@thevillages.com). Or, if you have your home spec sheet, it'll be listed there as well. Give them your unit/lot number, or your address, and they'll tell you the color and style. More than likely its dutchlap, but you'll need the color

T&D Supply (301 south of the turnpike) has the styles and colors.

If your home here is older, Home Depot carries Dutchlap 4.5" in white only.

Shbullet 05-26-2022 02:24 PM

Photo1902

Thank you for the info. I just emailed them so I'll see what they say. Also, I looked at the siding and maybe there is a trick to removing a section... Do you know that trick? Thanks

photo1902 05-26-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shbullet (Post 2099299)
Photo1902

Thank you for the info. I just emailed them so I'll see what they say. Also, I looked at the siding and maybe there is a trick to removing a section... Do you know that trick? Thanks

I sent you a Private Message, and will be happy to help.

villagetinker 05-26-2022 04:43 PM

OP, you stated about a foot long, so I am assuming this is between to vertical corner pieces. If so just garb a damaged piece and pull it off, then pull off the one above or below. Cut the new pieces so they fit under the corner pieces, bend slightly to fit inside the corner pieces and working from the bottom up snap the bottom of the new piece to the old piece. When you get to the last (top piece) snap it under the existing siding at the top, the use a home made probe to pull the new siding over the second piece of siding to snap it in place. Hope this made sense.

retiredguy123 05-26-2022 05:00 PM

If you can't find a matching color, you can always use any color siding and buy a quart of computer matched paint. I have had excellent results doing that with siding and other things.

rjm1cc 05-26-2022 05:20 PM

Try Youtube

photo1902 05-26-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2099368)
If you can't find a matching color, you can always use any color siding and buy a quart of computer matched paint. I have had excellent results doing that with siding and other things.

You can find a matching color. I’ve matched colors for homes here that are 20 years old

andercat 05-26-2022 07:00 PM

Fake wood grain

We found the proper color vinyl to repair some damage from golf balls hitting our house. The problem was that the wood grain pattern of the vinyl changed sometime after 1992 when the house was built. We ended up replacing an entire wall with the new pattern vinyl so it was not so obvious. We saved the old vinyl to do repairs on the other side of the house that also had golf ball hits. Husband is talented and did all the work himself, so it was not too costly. T&D let us take a huge color sample book home to match our siding. Since the house was old, the siding had faded and we were able to get a good match. I couldn't believe they let us take that sample book home. That was very nice.

Rainger99 05-27-2022 04:18 AM

YouTube video showing how to replace vinyl.

https://youtu.be/bz9JoJGWvI4

thevillages2013 05-27-2022 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2099358)
OP, you stated about a foot long, so I am assuming this is between to vertical corner pieces. If so just garb a damaged piece and pull it off, then pull off the one above or below. Cut the new pieces so they fit under the corner pieces, bend slightly to fit inside the corner pieces and working from the bottom up snap the bottom of the new piece to the old piece. When you get to the last (top piece) snap it under the existing siding at the top, the use a home made probe to pull the new siding over the second piece of siding to snap it in place. Hope this made sense.

Sounds to me like he melted a one foot spot on three pieces of siding that are longer

thevillages2013 05-27-2022 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shbullet (Post 2099269)

Thanks

Let Photo 1902 help you it’s not that hard but he’s done it before. Make sure you don’t drive the nails in tight (the nail head should not be tight to the siding) to allow the siding to expand and contract.

kirkward1 05-27-2022 05:27 AM

Call your homeowner insurance and submit a claim.

NoMoSno 05-27-2022 07:08 AM

This will help with the removal:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Malco-Si...SRT2/100098527

conman5652@aol.com 05-27-2022 07:28 AM

Replacement of damage siding

As a retired contractor in my lifetime have replaced many pieces of siding damaged by the grill. As everybody has said how to do it just keep one thing in mind your new siding will not match the old siding so what you really wanna do is remove a piece of siding at the bottom somewhere else use that to replace your siding so it matches in that spot and put the new siding in an area where you don’t see it all the time