Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Current Events and News (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/)
-   -   This can't be good news. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/current-events-news-541/cant-good-news-333062/)

vintageogauge 06-20-2022 09:02 AM

This can't be good news.

The West Coast Longshoreman and Warehouse workers contract covering 16,000 workers ends on July 1st and per a business news quote it is unlikely that a deal will be reached by then. This is a potential problem that we don't need at this time.

Stu from NYC 06-20-2022 09:08 AM

Their salaries are already outrageous and their work rules have really tied up unloading of ships and delaying of merchandise coming from outside the USA.

manaboutown 06-20-2022 09:25 AM

Sadly, it has been some time since I have heard or seen any good news.

Stu from NYC 06-20-2022 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2108273)

Well our kids and grandchildren are all doing well and we have both recovered from covid so this is the good news of the day.:icon_wink:

Topspinmo 06-20-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2108267)
Their salaries are already outrageous and their work rules have really tied up unloading of ships and delaying of merchandise coming from outside the USA.

What unions do. Throw out everything see what sticks. Then there the underground side of unions to get there way.

Stu from NYC 06-20-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2108355)
What unions do. Throw out everything see what sticks. Then there the underground side of unions to get there way.

Unfortunately too many businesses or public utilities forgot that they still have to sell their product and give in too outrageous demands.

Keefelane66 06-20-2022 02:09 PM

Good grief WalMart and the Dollar store’s shelves are empty. No useless junk to buy. I just can’t take it anymore.

Papa_lecki 06-20-2022 03:11 PM

Does that mean The Villages Costco will have empty shelves?

Stu from NYC 06-20-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2108407)
Does that mean The Villages Costco will have empty shelves?

Since the shelves come from overseas there will be no shelves all items on the floor.

MrFlorida 06-20-2022 04:10 PM

So, they can ship it to Florida instead.

Worldseries27 06-21-2022 04:55 AM

Go east

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrflorida (Post 2108434)
so, they can ship it to florida instead.

put elon in charge.
His space barge will be customs checked at point of origin and fly into the distribution centers to neet the trailers.
No more dock workers.
You say nay?
Prescriptions, packages being delivered by drones. Just the beginning of defeating the docks maginot line.

ThirdOfFive 06-21-2022 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2108273)

That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any. Bad news sells papers, attracts viewers and generates hits. Good news doesn't.

Blackbird45 06-21-2022 05:46 AM

Why Unions exist

Last five years of my career I was the sole negotiated for my local. The one thing I leaned was if employers treated workers fairly unions would not exist. It's not only wages on the table, many times it's also the safety of the employees. I went against the 3 major networks, the Broadway League, the Major studios. You never sit across from a CEOs; you sit across from a group of hired guns who have a parameter they are locked to, and they secure their position by how low they can keep the cost. It doesn't matter if they are not offering a living wage, or they work their employees around the clock, they do what is best for themselves. I don't fault them, they have families and mouths to feed, but so do union members.

barbnick 06-21-2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worldseries27 (Post 2108524)
put elon in charge.
His space barge will be customs checked at point of origin and fly into the distribution centers to neet the trailers.
No more dock workers.
You say nay?
Prescriptions, packages being delivered by drones. Just the beginning of defeating the docks maginot line.

Never happen

Robbb 06-21-2022 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird45 (Post 2108541)
Last five years of my career I was the sole negotiated for my local. The one thing I leaned was if employers treated workers fairly unions would not exist. It's not only wages on the table, many times it's also the safety of the employees. I went against the 3 major networks, the Broadway League, the Major studios. You never sit across from a CEOs; you sit across from a group of hired guns who have a parameter they are locked to, and they secure their position by how low they can keep the cost. It doesn't matter if they are not offering a living wage, or they work their employees around the clock, they do what is best for themselves. I don't fault them, they have families and mouths to feed, but so do union members.

Bull**** unions protect the weak we workers at the expense of the good workers