Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water Usage Now a Secret (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-usage-now-secret-333132/)

retiredguy123 06-22-2022 03:01 PM

Water Usage Now a Secret

As long as I have lived in The Villages, you could go to the "districtgov.org" website and click on "Utility Bill Inquiry" and view the water usage data for any address in The Villages. It was public information. You did this by doing an address search. That feature has recently been eliminated. Now, you need to enter the account number and last name of the person who lives at the address. Personally, I don't care who knows how much water I use, but I like to compare my usage to other properties in the neighborhood. To me, it is not a privacy issue. It was a useful feature, but now it is gone.

MartinSE 06-22-2022 03:06 PM

It was a useful feature to you. Maybe not everyone felt the same way?

Stu from NYC 06-22-2022 03:44 PM

Never did it but based on what I know now about irrigation would have shown me we were using too much water a long time ago and caused me to rid myself of Massey and saved quite a bit.

Topspinmo 06-22-2022 03:56 PM

Actually I don’t think any personnel information should be public. That how sleazbags use information to steal. I don’t even think should be able to look up address and see who live there. IMO invasion of privacy. Now want talk about health records where I have to pay for my own records. But, any office worker or insurance has full access.

Dr.Butler 06-22-2022 04:39 PM

Keeping in mind, that many people here are from European countries, that may have violated GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).

Boffin 06-22-2022 04:39 PM

Boogie, boogie, boogie!

MrFlorida 06-22-2022 04:52 PM

Good, it's not really anybody's business anyway.

Garywt 06-22-2022 04:54 PM

Not only water usage but you could see their entire bill and whether or not they were paying it or not. Always found it strange that this type of info was available for all to see.

villagetinker 06-22-2022 05:13 PM

Could have been used by the bad guys to see if anyone was staying in the home (potable water use), so I am glad no longer available.

gatorbill1 06-22-2022 05:28 PM

Called VCDD yesterday and told the new site is only a couple of days old and they are working on getting all the old information back.
I always check my water usage when meter is read - lets you know if you might have a leak or if they might have read it wrong, which has happened a few times. I called them and they re-read it the next day, so I didn't have to fight it after the bill was posted.

rhood 06-22-2022 05:31 PM

I think the old page (data) is still there. I was able to access it using the last bill link they sent me. I took screen shots so I have all my neighbors account numbers. I also check vacant homes of snowbird neighbors each month when they are gone for abnormal use.

Altavia 06-22-2022 05:47 PM

Flume is a nice option to monitor of your irrigation.

Flume Water | Smart Home Water Monitor | Water Leak Detector

EdFNJ 06-22-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2109121)
Could have been used by the bad guys to see if anyone was staying in the home (potable water use), so I am glad no longer available.

You mean you don't have an automatic random toilet flusher hooked to your random light timer to fool the "bad guys"? :D :D

photo1902 06-22-2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 2109137)
You mean you don't have an automatic random toilet flusher hooked to your random light timer to fool the "bad guys"? :D :D

Priceless.

Djean1981 06-22-2022 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2109080)
As long as I have lived in The Villages, you could go to the "districtgov.org" website and click on "Utility Bill Inquiry" and view the water usage data for any address in The Villages. It was public information. You did this by doing an address search. That feature has recently been eliminated. Now, you need to enter the account number and last name of the person who lives at the address. Personally, I don't care who knows how much water I use, but I like to compare my usage to other properties in the neighborhood. To me, it is not a privacy issue. It was a useful feature, but now it is gone.

Water usage, even who owns what property is no one's business. I know it's public record, but I don't believe it should be unless property is owned by a business..