Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Issue with Nuvo Water Filter/Conditioner (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/issue-nuvo-water-filter-conditioner-333211/)

tjdmlhw 06-24-2022 07:36 PM

Issue with Nuvo Water Filter/Conditioner

We just had a whole house Nuvo Water Filter/Conditioner unit installed in our home and we have noticed a strange taste to the water. It's not really a chemical taste, but close to it.

Is this normal? Has anyone else with one of these units experience an unpleasant flavor to their water?

Bogie Shooter 06-24-2022 07:48 PM

What is the installer saying?

Stu from NYC 06-24-2022 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjdmlhw (Post 2109949)
We just had a whole house Nuvo Water Filter/Conditioner unit installed in our home and we have noticed a strange taste to the water. It's not really a chemical taste, but close to it.

Is this normal? Has anyone else with one of these units experience an unpleasant flavor to their water?

If unpleasant first thing is call the people you purchased it from.

Hardlyworking 06-25-2022 04:39 AM

Did you flush the system?

CFrance 06-25-2022 06:51 AM

Do you mean Nuvo or Nova? If Nova, you have to turn every faucet in the house on and run for 15 minutes before drinking the water.

tjdmlhw 06-25-2022 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2109951)
What is the installer saying?

Kiley and Sons' office was closed last night and the message says they are closed until Monday. I had hoped someone could offer a suggestion to try before then or could tell me if Nuvo does make the water taste different.

The tech that installed the system did flush the line, but only to the utility faucet in the garage. I will try flushing the system by opening all of the faucets in the house and letting them run for 15 minutes.

If that doesn't help, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday and call them.

Thanks for your reply

tjdmlhw 06-25-2022 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 2110024)
Do you mean Nuvo or Nova? If Nova, you have to turn every faucet in the house on and run for 15 minutes before drinking the water.

It is Nuvo

Worldseries27 06-26-2022 04:35 AM

Refrigerator cartridges anyone ?

Change them every 4 months . Cheap. Fill pots right from my ge dispenser. No issues

Ski Bum 06-26-2022 06:15 AM

A water softener works by exchanging salt (sodium chloride) for the other minerals in the water. When you take the existing minerals out, and exchange them for salt, it will taste different, but not unpleasant.

jimkerr 06-26-2022 06:16 AM

No, you shouldn’t taste a chemical taste. Why did you not go with Nova?

CosmicTrucker 06-26-2022 06:55 AM

I experienced this with our Nova install. I think the installer was a little heavy with the glue they use to connect the pipes. Flush your system by running the water at every faucet for at least 15 minutes. You may still detect a slight odor and taste for two or three days after. I would still call and let the installer know if your still having trouble by Monday

Kenswing 06-26-2022 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski Bum (Post 2110300)
A water softener works by exchanging salt (sodium chloride) for the other minerals in the water. When you take the existing minerals out, and exchange them for salt, it will taste different, but not unpleasant.

According to their website Nuvo is a saltless system.
NuvoH2O - Get Your Saltless Water Softener Now!

Speedie 06-26-2022 07:22 AM

The chemicals in the new plastic parts take some time to leach out in the water. I would flush out drinking water lines for 15 min before drinking for several days after installation. Same after new filters installed

Remembergoldenrule 06-26-2022 07:30 AM

We love our Nova system and no strange tastes. This is second house with it. We did flush every facet in house for 15 - had all on at same time. We suggest you call installer.

jimbo2012 06-26-2022 07:34 AM

The Nuvo is primarily a softener, with minor filtering.
The softener uses Citrus cartridge unlike all other softeners there is much controversy as to how a citus based system does NOT remove the calcium & magnesium,

But

[I"The NuvoH2O system binds and isolates the hard mineral ions with a process known as chelation. Once bounded to CitraCharge®, NuvoH2O’s binding agent, the mineral cannot form scale". [/I]

In other words it claims to encapsulate or suspend the calcium, but it's still remains in the water.

The phrase salt-free water softener is a bit of a misnomer. This is because salt-free water softeners don’t technically soften the water. Instead, they condition the water by crystalizing the calcium and magnesium ions to keep them from forming scale within a plumbing system.
So, salt-free water softeners should really be called salt-free water conditioners.

Last point, the Nuvo system does not have a sediment filter, that is very important here in TV.

Salt & potassium softeners have been in use about 100 years, time tested.