Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Deed restrictions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/deed-restrictions-334107/)

Bikehike 08-01-2022 07:49 AM

Deed restrictions

Some people that move to The Villages really struggle with the deed restrictions. I don't think people realize the compromises necessary to live in a deed restricted community even though they are told upfront about the restrictions. I think they believe the restrictions will not be enforced. It seems like people that moved from a deed restricted community have certain expectations that differ from people that moved from a non-restricted community, and they disagree on the value and benefits of deed restrictions. The best example I can give is a person who moves into a patio Villa and has outgrown it in 6 months and they begin to modify the patio Villa to their needs. One example would be putting rocks in the front yard to be able to park three cars at the location. They rely on peer pressure to look the other way and not speak up or object to their interpretation of the rules. I think that's why a lot of opinions may vary and I'm interested to hear what people think?

People move here for different reasons some people want the lifestyle the activities some people want a nice place to live. I guess it depends on what your priorities are in that regard and what's more important to you.

This is just a general discussion I'm not looking for help or information about deed restrictions.

vintageogauge 08-01-2022 07:59 AM

They are common sense restrictions and should not be a problem for anyone to abide by. Putting rocks in your lawn to turn it into a parking lot is not common sense.

Stu from NYC 08-01-2022 08:03 AM

An hardly anyone reads them anyway

frose 08-01-2022 08:10 AM

the restrictions are ridiculous and outdated I wish they would give you these things up front instead of after you close. Not to be allowed to have a pink flamingo on your lawn in florida is just stupid. I would to see them brought up to the 21st century.

retiredguy123 08-01-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2121139)
An hardly anyone reads them anyway

I do

Keefelane66 08-01-2022 08:17 AM

As th OP referenced example of 3 vehicles at patio villa there are no ladies driving around reporting violations to deed restrictions it’s one neighbor turning in another quite simple those two ladies driving around could have no idea your lifestyle unless they live in your neighborhood!

Kenswing 08-01-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frose (Post 2121145)
the restrictions are ridiculous and outdated I wish they would give you these things up front instead of after you close. Not to be allowed to have a pink flamingo on your lawn in florida is just stupid. I would to see them brought up to the 21st century.

It’s called due diligence. The deed restrictions are easily found online.

billethkid 08-01-2022 08:22 AM

Compromise?
Pink flamingos?
What some had before moving here?

Never mind.....Answer is obvious.

Bill14564 08-01-2022 08:24 AM

Quote:

Your real estate person should have informed you that you were looking at a deed-restricted neighborhood. The restrictions are online, were likely presented to you before closing, and were certainly part of closing. If you weren't aware of them until after you closed then you weren't paying attention.

Allowing pink flamingos would be moving back to the 50s.

tophcfa 08-01-2022 08:32 AM

The deed restrictions are there for a reason, without them the Villages wouldn’t have the same look or feel. I just wish they wouldn’t be selectively enforced. Why aren’t the restrictions enforced that prohibits homes being used for activities other than single family residential use or running a business out of one’s home? Enforcement of those restrictions would stop the neighborhood disrupting short term renting of rooms in one’s home while they live there (Air B&B’s). I would rather have a neighborhood full of homes with little white crosses than a next door neighbor using their home as a revolving door of short term rentals.

Bill14564 08-01-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2121165)
The deed restrictions are there for a reason, without them the Villages wouldn’t have the same look or feel. I just wish they wouldn’t be selectively enforced. Why aren’t the restrictions enforced that prohibits homes being used for activities other than single family residential use or running a business out of one’s home? Enforcement of those restrictions would stop the neighborhood disrupting short term renting of rooms in one’s home while they live there (Air B&B’s). I would rather have a neighborhood full of homes with little white crosses than a next door neighbor using their home as a revolving door of short term rentals.

Take a look at the text in the restrictions concerning businesses. Mine only prohibits commercial activity that requires maintaining an inventory, equipment, or customer visits.

tophcfa 08-01-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2121194)
Take a look at the text in the restrictions concerning businesses. Mine only prohibits commercial activity that requires maintaining an inventory, equipment, or customer visits.

Wouldn’t renting a room in one’s home be considered customer visits? Sounds like what is being prohibited is designed to not keep people from working remotely online from their home, which makes perfect sense.

Laker14 08-01-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Nothing screams "21st Century!!" like a pink flamingo.

Bill14564 08-01-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2121202)
Wouldn’t renting a room in one’s home be considered customer visits? Sounds like what is being prohibited is designed to not keep people from working remotely online from their home, which makes perfect sense.

Technically, I suppose renters could be considered customers but I doubt that was the intent. All the things listed would require additional traffic to the home above what you would expect from a residence. Renters would not add any traffic.

But there's an easy way to find out - make a complaint to Community Standards and see what they tell you.

frose 08-01-2022 09:59 AM

don't tell me about paying attention.. when someone tells me what i can or cannot do with My property they better be paying my property taxes, or **** off. and real estate people are only selling "a lifestyle, not a home" and only are about the commission, there was never a mention of these restrictions before, during or after closing. we were told about them when we were getting our ID cards. I can only hope that someone will come to their senses and fix this..( i know, it's not broken) can't wait to leave!!