Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Need Computer and Printer set up (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/need-computer-printer-set-up-334245/)

terrijoe122 08-07-2022 01:41 PM

Need Computer and Printer set up

We just moved to The Villages and we are not the swiftest when it comes to computers. Does anyone know of someone who would be able to set up a computer and a printer, possibly a wireless one, that has fax and scanning. Thank you for any help you might be able to give us in locating someone of the sort.

Stu from NYC 08-07-2022 02:33 PM

Mmd or the Geek Squad we prefer mmd

retiredguy123 08-07-2022 02:41 PM

If you are just trying to connect a wireless printer to a computer, you may want to try it yourself. The computer will pretty much set up the printer automatically when it recognizes it on your wifi network.

Babubhat 08-07-2022 02:43 PM

Plug everything in. Boot machine. Windows should detect devices. You may need to download printer software. Windows or the manufacturer should have built in troubleshooting

retiredguy123 08-07-2022 02:50 PM

Printers can sometimes appear a lot more complicated than they really are. It may come with a software disc, but Windows already has the needed software built in to print to just about every printer on the market.

villagetinker 08-07-2022 04:40 PM

OP, you did not state APPLE or WINDOWS, makes a difference. As noted above Windows is almost plug and play. Is all the equipment new? Do you have the installation CDs? Do you have an operational internet connection? I have Windows on 2 PC, and have installed printers (canon and currently brother) several time, as well as a few other brands in a previous lifetime. The manufacturers have actually made this relatively easy, but I think we need more info to help.

splashes 08-07-2022 05:15 PM

MMD computer excellent in lady lake

Stu from NYC 08-07-2022 05:47 PM

Thinking the OP has not done this before and is not confident doing it himself.

NoMoSno 08-07-2022 08:18 PM

Don't think installation CDs come with new printers as new computers no longer have CD drives.
Drivers are likely already in the OS with the latest downloadable.
Must be someone in one of TV computer clubs that could help.

rsmurano 08-08-2022 04:28 AM

If you just moved here and everything worked before, it’s probably because your wifi network name (ssid) is different from your prior home. The easiest thing you can do is rename your wireless network to the name you had before in your last house. If you can’t, then you will need to configure your printer to use the new wireless network name.
Don’t go to the geek squad or a computer store unless you are desperate. If you are using windows, good luck, it’s called plug and pray!

Luggage 08-08-2022 04:31 AM

If it's your original computer, make sure simply whoever installs your new Wi-Fi router and modem keeps the same name and password you had before. If it's a brand new computer and printer as everyone else said it'll probably just work out of the box but since no one really answered you MMD as a reputable computer company retailer here and The villages does have a computer club I am sure almost anyone there would be able to help you.

rmjexline 08-08-2022 05:11 AM

Jon Townsend 352-250-1686. I’ve heard great things about his knowledge of computers. Good luck.

eeroger 08-08-2022 05:17 AM

Email Joe at Computer Central. He may be able to do everything remotely. He has been my go-to computer expert for years.
joe@computercentralFL.com

EnzoDe 08-08-2022 07:38 AM

Call John Chumbler. 352 289 1596

Used John many times. Good work, resonably priced.

John Chumbler, In-Home Technology Services - 68 Recommendations - The Villages, FL - Nextdoor

Whitley 08-08-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2123616)
Thinking the OP has not done this before and is not confident doing it himself.

I have done this for so many people. Usually a very straightforward process. Sometimes it requires deleting the driver and reinstalling it. Do you know any neighbors yet. The easiest choice if you have any, invite a grandchild over for a visit then put them to work.