Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   Delete Zoom app from your computer. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/delete-zoom-app-your-computer-334396/)

Vikingjunior 08-14-2022 07:14 AM

Delete Zoom app from your computer.

I don't know why Zoom was the platform of popularity because they have a terrible security history.
Hackers are getting access to your full computer because when you downloaded Zoom it requested full administrative access. There was no reason for them to have full access but most people not knowing accept the terms.
Security analysis have warned Zoom that their app has vulnerability issues but Zoom has and still is dragging their feet to solve the problem.
Basically, hackers get in through the Zoom installer and then have full control over your computer.
It happened right in front of my eyes. Windows of personal and private documents started popping open on their own, a window to access all my passwords opened up, the Zoom app kept opening and closing the camera came on and probably the microphone, the whole computer then froze. This was on a brand new MacBook, don't believe that Macs don't get viruses.
Luckily I was able to force shut down the computer reboot it in safe mode and able to delete Zoom and all the nasty files they left behind. Of course I had to change all my passwords which is a pain in the ass.
If you have no other choice but to use Zoom use their website instead of their app.
They're a horrible company that made a boat load of money during the Pandemic and set off to sail in the sunset leaving billions of people vulnerable to hackers.
The Zoom installer let a researcher hack his way to root access on macOS - The Verge

ElDiabloJoe 08-14-2022 08:08 AM

I used Zoom four days ago on Thursday for a 30+ minute meeting with my financial professional across the country. I used it on my MacBook Air. I had, and continue to have, zero issues as described above.

YMMV.

JoelJohnson 08-14-2022 08:11 AM

Same with my Chromebook, no problem! Of course, the Chromebook is far more secure than an Windows PC.

Vikingjunior 08-14-2022 08:43 AM

You don't have to be using Zoom to be infected. I wasn't using Zoom when I was infected. Reason being is Zoom has serious security issues that as long as there is a internet connection you can be infected.

I used Zoom for 2 years everyday with no problems until yesterday out of nowhere I was attacked before my very eyes. It's so creepy.
After this ordeal I will never put anything private on a computer again. Unfortunately I don't have control over all these companies that have my private info on their servers.

PugMom 08-14-2022 03:49 PM

i suggest Avast security, breach-guard. they're an excellent company, look them up

Bikehike 08-14-2022 08:28 PM

You could try running it on your cell phone

Debra Freeman 08-16-2022 04:46 AM

The courts in Florida and financial analysts use Zoom. It’s your security.

ithos 08-16-2022 05:14 AM

Here is some more info

We've got some trouble | 503 - Backend unavailable

Zoom update: Download new version right now or risk having someone take over your computer, company warns

And there are many more just in the last month.
There is absolutely no excuse for these security issues.
Thanks for the notice. I have deleted it. Will only use it on an android or tablet if I have to.

I have been using microsoft team anyway.

danglanzsr 08-16-2022 06:12 AM

Zoom installer

It sounds to me as if the poster downloaded an installer that was not the real Zoom installer.

MacScuba 08-16-2022 06:30 AM

The latest version of Zoom has the fix. Like all software, you should always be running the latest version.

JMintzer 08-16-2022 07:55 AM

Meta (FaceBook) is now advertising their own "Zoom-like" feature...

I wonder if that has anything to do with the problems...

ThirdOfFive 08-16-2022 08:44 AM

We use FaceTime. Apple stuff is more secure overall anyway and they don't share/sell your data with anyone else.

JMintzer 08-16-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2126486)
We use FaceTime. Apple stuff is more secure overall anyway and they don't share/sell your data with anyone else.

Face tine is good for small chat groups, but not so much for business meetings...

Marine1974 08-16-2022 10:28 AM

I only use zoom on my I phone . Does this apply to me

Nucky 08-18-2022 03:23 PM

Updating Zoom on a regular basis is the answer to the Security problem. The only person out of twelve of us who Zoom every week that never updated his Zoom got zoomed twice already. Just update. Problem solved!