Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Marshview (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/marshview-334635/)

66Lion 08-22-2022 06:58 PM

Marshview

Tried to play Marshview P&P. The conditions overall were very bad. The greens had not been cut or rolled for what appeared to be quite a while. Lumps of grass, and what appeared like someone had taken a knife and cut slices into the greens. The rough area was horrible, grass was way too high, again not cut. In the fairway portion of the hole the areas that had been cut there were piles of dead cut grass over what was grass. The mats were like trying to hit off concrete. Totally unacceptable. Probably worst course we have played.

John Mayes 08-22-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Lion (Post 2128731)
Tried to play Marshview P&P. The conditions overall were very bad. The greens had not been cut or rolled for what appeared to be quite a while. Lumps of grass, and what appeared like someone had taken a knife and cut slices into the greens. The rough area was horrible, grass was way too high, again not cut. In the fairway portion of the hole the areas that had been cut there were piles of dead cut grass over what was grass. The mats were like trying to hit off concrete. Totally unacceptable. Probably worst course we have played.

How much did you pay to play?

tophcfa 08-22-2022 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66Lion (Post 2128731)

Never played a pitch and put and probably never would even before your report. But holly crap, you have to hit off a mat, that’s a non starter! And what difference does it make what the conditions of the fairway portion of the holes are like? It’s a friggin pitch and put!

Hardlyworking 08-23-2022 04:55 AM

Those “cuts” are from the Sandhill Cranes.

RICH1 08-23-2022 05:15 AM

Some people will complain after a “ Happy Ending”…

Hardlyworking 08-23-2022 08:28 AM

I’d rather have beginners learning their swing on the pitch and putts than out in the other courses clogging up the system.

rsimpson 08-23-2022 08:50 AM

Pitch-n-Putt - good for your 'game'

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2128748)
Never played a pitch and put and probably never would even before your report. But holly crap, you have to hit off a mat, that’s a non starter! And what difference does it make what the conditions of the fairway portion of the holes are like? It’s a friggin pitch and put!

Hitting from the mat is not all bad. It does teach to hit the ball first with a descending blow, and not scoop it. The greens do need to be maintained better (and at a little faster speed that I witnessed this year). All in all, the Pitch-n-Putts are fun and great for your short game.

laboutj 08-23-2022 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardlyworking (Post 2128860)
I’d rather have beginners learning their swing on the pitch and putts than out in the other courses clogging up the system.

Wholeheartedly agree. Great place to learn the swing and course etiquette (if you have somebody that knows what they're doing playing with you). I've only played it when recovering from rotator cuff surgery, short holes meant I didn't have to give a full swing.

Mrfriendly 08-24-2022 06:28 AM

I enjoy playing down at Marshview. Depending on the time you play you get to listen to music for all 18 holes then drown your sorrows for either your bad golf or your thoughts on the bad conditions.

cj1040 08-24-2022 06:58 AM

Marshview

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mayes (Post 2128739)
How much did you pay to play?

Very bratty remark . Answer is $179 a month like we all pay, at least in newer homes south of 44.

MrFlorida 08-24-2022 07:29 AM

Played there many times, seems ok to me, maybe just bad timing on the maintenance schedule.

CoachKandSportsguy 08-24-2022 07:52 AM

Definitely NOT a good course for a ranked amateur! ranked amateurs need to play on the 18 hole courses only! Great for beginners! Excellent for learning golf! excellent for practicing after a long lay off, or recovering from injury

hrenner 08-24-2022 07:53 AM

When you experience a great little course, in wonderful shape, become a cow pasture, it is natural to become sad. I was SO disappointed to see the neglect. Yes, it is free. It used to be free and excellent. Now it is free and almost unplayable due to greens "unputtable".

hrenner 08-24-2022 07:54 AM

I guess i'm "bratty" for experiencing a loss :)

John Mayes 08-24-2022 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrenner (Post 2129142)
I guess i'm "bratty" for experiencing a loss :)

No, you weren’t “bratty”. My comment was uncalled for. My apologies.