Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Golf Cart Etiquette (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/golf-cart-etiquette-334763/)

Michael 61 08-26-2022 08:28 PM

Golf Cart Etiquette

I’m currently enjoying my second lifestyle visit here in TV this week. I have a golf cart that is fixed not to exceed 15 MPH. I have noticed while driving the golf cart paths that a golf cart will come up behind me and begin to tailgate me. I have been signaling and pulling to the side of the path when there is space to do this. Is this the correct thing to do?

kaydee 08-26-2022 10:32 PM

I’d say that is very thoughtful. Enjoy your visit

Kelevision 08-27-2022 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael 61 (Post 2130254)
I’m currently enjoying my second lifestyle visit here in TV this week. I have a golf cart that is fixed not to exceed 15 MPH. I have noticed while driving the golf cart paths that a golf cart will come up behind me and begin to tailgate me. I have been signaling and pulling to the side of the path when there is space to do this. Is this the correct thing to do?

Since the speed is 20 MPH, yes that is the correct thing to do. I had a rental once that didn’t go 20 and I was pulling over quite often to let people pass.

frose 08-27-2022 05:30 AM

The speed limit is 20. Good luck with that. They pass doing near 30. I do clock them just to satisfy my curiosity.

asianthree 08-27-2022 05:35 AM

Our first lifestyle in 07 the cart barely do 12 miles an hour. If you went up hill you could’ve walked faster.

Have no idea what speed owned carts were set at, but everyone passed us. Bonus, everyone that passed us knew were were in a lifestyle cart, no one seemed upset at the slow rate of speed, they just waved or smiled.

Toymeister 08-27-2022 06:27 AM

There is no speed limit on the multimodal paths. There is a federal requirement that golf carts not exceed 19.9 mph. If it exceeds 19.9 it is a low speed vehicle which must be licensed and insured per Florida statute in addition to additional Federal safety requirements.

As the OP certainly can testify there are thousands of law breakers here in Florida's friendliest home town.

golfing eagles 08-27-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2130295)
There is no speed limit on the multimodal paths. There is a federal requirement that golf carts not exceed 19.9 mph. If it exceeds 19.9 it is a low speed vehicle which must be licensed and insured per Florida statute in addition to additional Federal safety requirements.

As the OP certainly can testify there are thousands of law breakers here in Florida's friendliest home town.

Interesting. I could not find anything in federal statutes or the Federal Register that reference golf carts. There are some safety regulations regarding LSVs, but nothing about speed other than the definition that they go 20+ mph. All golf cart regulations appear to be state and local. IF there is any federal regulation of golf carts, it would only go to prove we have way, way too much government.

Papa_lecki 08-27-2022 07:10 AM

Oh Good, another thread on golf cart speeds.

Bay Kid 08-27-2022 07:42 AM

Wave them on by or pull to the side. ENJOY!

BrianL99 08-27-2022 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2130308)
Interesting. I could not find anything in federal statutes or the Federal Register that reference golf carts. ... IF there is any federal regulation of golf carts, it would only go to prove we have way, way too much government.

What it really proves, is what everyone on this site should know. Villagers/Posters fancy themselves experts on every subject under the sun and opinions are offered as if Moses chiseled them on stone tablets.

fdpaq0580 08-27-2022 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2130330)
What it really proves, is what everyone on this site should know. Villagers/Posters fancy themselves experts on every subject under the sun and opinions are offered as if Moses chiseled them on stone tablets.

You calling Moses a chiseler? 😒

golfing eagles 08-27-2022 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2130330)

How so? It was stated there is a Federal regulation on golf cart speed. I stated I couldn't find it. It doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I also stated the opinion, that if such a federal regulation exists, it is an overreach by big government. How that makes anyone an "expert" on federal law is beyond me. Besides, if you are a believer, either Christian or Jewish, it was God, not Moses that chiseled those tablets.

charmed59 08-27-2022 08:56 AM

Yes, I remember in our lifestyle visit the card went no where near 20mph, so those with personal carts could always pass us. It was okay, as we needed to pull over often anyway to check our directions.

Cupcake57 08-27-2022 12:51 PM

Welcome! I am a very defensive driver and hate tailgaters, so if there is no curb on the MMP, I pull off into the grass, smile sweetly, and say to myself "they must have to pee worse than I do!" HA! Enjoy your visit and come back for good soon.

JMintzer 08-27-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frose (Post 2130288)
The speed limit is 20. Good luck with that. They pass doing near 30. I do clock them just to satisfy my curiosity.

So your cart goes 30?

Interesting...