Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Adios Farmshed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/adios-farmshed-334776/)

Michael 61 08-27-2022 06:37 PM

Adios Farmshed

Had dinner tonight at Farmshed in Spanish Springs - was told by waiter that tonight is their final night - restaurant is closing, to be replaced by a steak house.

starflyte1 08-27-2022 06:54 PM

Used to be a fovorite place.

I used to go there often until they raised the price of their burger and charged, maybe $6 for a side of Grandmas potatoes, not fries.

They did have the best burgers, but just got out of my price range for a burger.

Babubhat 08-27-2022 07:24 PM

Far too many establishments charging 20 for a burger and fries. If they need that price they should shut their doors

Chi-Town 08-27-2022 10:00 PM

Never considered Farmshed a burger and fries joint. Food quality was very high and that's worth paying for.

Taltarzac725 08-27-2022 10:11 PM

Sad to hear.

tophcfa 08-27-2022 10:21 PM

Wish ToJays would go back to that spot. It was a good place to get a decent breakfast or deli sandwich for lunch. That type of place is seriously lacking in the area.

asianthree 08-28-2022 02:00 AM

We tried them 3 times, presentation was good, always had to ask that the food came out hot, not warm. Since it was farm to table, some could deal with the limited menu. In the beginning it was to open for breakfast, if they had it might have made a huge difference in their business

Darield 08-29-2022 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael 61 (Post 2130505)
Had dinner tonight at Farmshed in Spanish Springs - was told by waiter that tonight is their final night - restaurant is closing, to be replaced by a steak house.

I will really miss them. They were pricey but the food was really good. I always enjoyed their unique sides including beets and brussels sprouts.Am I the only one that thinks the Villages has an over abundance of steak houses?

richardc1947 08-29-2022 06:56 AM

Seems to me that part of the problem may be the lack of activity in the Spanish Springs square. We don’t visit there very often since we live much further south nearer Brownwood and Lake Sumter. But I had occasion to go to SS last week to pick up some medical supplies about 10:30 am. I cruised the square and only saw one person seated at a bar at Americanos. No pedestrians, no coffee drinkers in front of Dunkin, and no shoppers walking the sidewalks. If you go to the other squares at that time of day, there will be a lot of activity. Maybe the aging population of that area has fewer residents getting out as much. I know as we grow older, we don’t go out as frequently as we did 12 years ago when we first moved here. Perhaps the proposed apartments in SS will attract a younger demographics and help keep some of the businesses open….. just saying….

Villages Kahuna 08-29-2022 07:22 AM

With $15 hamburgers that didn’t even include French fries, that was predictable from the beginning. We took one look at their expensive online menu and never visited even once.

Kenswing 08-29-2022 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna (Post 2130934)
With $15 hamburgers that didn’t even include French fries, that was predictable from the beginning. We took one look at their expensive online menu and never visited even once.

Unfortunately this looks to be downward spiral we're currently in. Restaurants are facing higher supply and labor costs. Overhead costs in general are skyrocketing with inflation. Restaurants in turn must raise prices to remain profitable, or at least viable. Consumers have less disposable cash and are not willing or able to afford the new increased pricing. It's a catch 22. I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of places suffer before things turn around.

MrChipster 08-29-2022 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 2130512)
Far too many establishments charging 20 for a burger and fries. If they need that price they should shut their doors

Welcome to $15.00 minimum “living wage” - thanks progressive thoughts (demands).

Santiagogirl 08-29-2022 08:28 AM

I've eaten there 2 or 3 times. Was thrilled to see variations of some classic Southern dishes on the menu. Tried hard but unfortunately just couldn't bring myself to like their food. Overpriced as well, and very slow service. Sad they were not able to make a go of it.

krick093 08-29-2022 08:29 AM

Good restaurant, but very limited menu & neglected by owners

We used to see the owners all the time in the restaurant keeping an eye on things. Staff was attentive and competent. Menu was always somewhat limited and a bit on the high priced side, but quality/taste was very good.

Once we didn't see the owners any more and staff turnover was high, we told ourselves the place wasn't going to last. Too bad. There's plenty of very similar, average restaurants around. Farmshed was at least something different. Hopefully the steak house is a good one (i.e. better than Chop House).

BTW - if you've never been to a restaurant you should refrain from providing comment about it. That's like the blind men describing an elephant...

gatorbill1 08-29-2022 08:34 AM

Overpriced and not a menu to make one want to go to more than once.