Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pro Golf (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/)
-   -   Have paydays in sports gotten obnoxious? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pro-golf-333/have-paydays-sports-gotten-obnoxious-334784/)

jebartle 08-28-2022 11:59 AM

Have paydays in sports gotten obnoxious?

Where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "

Taltarzac725 08-28-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 2130728)
Where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "

Probably all based on ads on TV and elsewhere that a top athlete can generate based on his or her fans watching on various platforms.

tophcfa 08-28-2022 12:22 PM

It’s a business, revenue is generated through ticket sales, sponsors, television contracts, merchandise sales, etc…. The elite athletes that are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money are getting paid because their popularity generates huge amounts of revenues that make money for the team owners who pay their salaries. The team owners don’t pay the athletes because they like them, it’s a business decision based on economics. Don’t blame the athletes if you think they are overpaid, blame society for putting them on such a pedestal. The same can be said for many Hollywood actress and actresses, musicians, etc…. It’s also why most male athletes make significantly more than females, society is way more willing to pay to watch and support most sports played by males. If female sports generated the same revenue as male sports, the pay of the athletes would reflect that.

retiredguy123 08-28-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

No. Professional athletes are part of a profitable business that pays taxes to the Government. Almost all income that the Government receives is from income taxes paid by profitable businesses. Without private businesses generating a profit, the Government could not even exist. And, most surgeons rely on the Government for their education, hospitals, and for most of their income that is paid by Government subsidies to insurance companies and patients. Without indirect financial support from the Government, surgeons would make a lot less money than they do. Ironically, without the Government, the only customers surgeons would have would be wealthy people, like professional athletes. So, I don't see anything obnoxious about professional athletes making a lot of money.

ohioshooter 08-28-2022 02:33 PM

$18M for 1st place Fedex cup.

Mrs.Guy 08-28-2022 02:46 PM

Quote:

:shrug: Could you please give us a "free estimate" of what a sports professional should be paid. Just a ballpark figure .... I won't hold you to it. ;)

Stu from NYC 08-28-2022 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Guy (Post 2130781)
:shrug: Could you please give us a "free estimate" of what a sports professional should be paid. Just a ballpark figure .... I won't hold you to it. ;)

50 million per year to play basketball is a bit much

Mrs.Guy 08-28-2022 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2130787)
50 million per year to play basketball is a bit much

:ho: You're right about that, but what I posted was meant as a joke for jebartle and not meant for to be taken seriously. It went over your head..... sometimes I just says things to amuse myself. No problem. :kiss:

Stu from NYC 08-28-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Guy (Post 2130790)
:ho: You're right about that, but what I posted was meant as a joke for jebartle and not meant for to be taken seriously. It went over your head..... sometimes I just says things to amuse myself. No problem. :kiss:

Actually I have seen comments like this before and understood what you were saying but did not think it was a joke. In a capitalist society money flows according to the profitability of whoever is doing the work.

Blackbird45 08-29-2022 04:32 AM

Show me the money

The title Professional Athlete, give them the right to demand whatever they believe is their worth. There are CEOs in this country that exceed over $100 million a year and do very little to earn it. Plus, if the company takes a downturn the CEO contractually walks away with a large severance package. It doesn't matter what your profession, in this country the sky is the limit.

dewilson58 08-29-2022 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2130740)
It’s a business, revenue is generated through ticket sales, sponsors, television contracts, merchandise sales, etc…. The elite athletes that are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money are getting paid because their popularity generates huge amounts of revenues that make money for the team owners who pay their salaries. The team owners don’t pay the athletes because they like them, it’s a business decision based on economics. Don’t blame the athletes if you think they are overpaid, blame society for putting them on such a pedestal. The same can be said for many Hollywood actress and actresses, musicians, etc…. It’s also why most male athletes make significantly more than females, society is way more willing to pay to watch and support most sports played by males. If female sports generated the same revenue as male sports, the pay of the athletes would reflect that.

Bingo

jimbomaybe 08-29-2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird45 (Post 2130886)
The title Professional Athlete, give them the right to demand whatever they believe is their worth. There are CEOs in this country that exceed over $100 million a year and do very little to earn it. Plus, if the company takes a downturn the CEO contractually walks away with a large severance package. It doesn't matter what your profession, in this country the sky is the limit.

You can "demand" anything you want, convincing some one else to pay you is another thing, its called competition, if you can play what is a game for children at a very high level your abilities are worth a lot as an entertainer , watching on TV/or video doesn't give a good appreciation of the physical abilities of the athlete what ever the worth financially, CEOs are put in place by ownership in an effort to keep the business profitable, the only reason it can exist, of course there are examples of dumb ,ill-considered moves on the part of CEOs of large corporation,( in hindsight) Say what you will about capitalism but it has allowed for creation of the wealthiest period in human history, yes I know not for everyone, (is there a government program that supplies crying towels? ) Much of this is due to the ability to manage all the variables, insight into what is and the creative abilities of good management. A top CEO is worth much more than an entertainer to the people who hold equity in the business, those who make their living working for the business.

vickersbond 08-29-2022 05:32 AM

You hit the nail on the head pefectly. And - no end in sight.

Worldseries27 08-29-2022 05:35 AM

Voodo economics

Quote:

where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "

the trouble with your issue is that your ok with the players making less and disregarding the fact that the owners will merely pocket it. Please dont tell me owners will charge less for admission. Tale a look at the empty box seats behind every home team in baseball. So my choice is let the kid who beat the odds ( only 5 out of 100 thriple aaa players ever appears in one big league game) have his payday

Fran from MI 08-29-2022 05:47 AM

It's not just Professional Athletes, CEO's and Movie Stars. $93BILLION for the Artemis Space Program!

NASA will spend $93 billion on Artemis moon program by 2025, report estimates | Space