Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Baseball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/)
-   -   Baseball rule changes for 2023 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/baseball-rule-changes-2023-a-335067/)

Rainger99 09-09-2022 02:56 PM

Baseball rule changes for 2023

MLB officially passes major rules changes for 2023 season.

MLB officially passes major rules changes for 2023 season

Stu from NYC 09-09-2022 03:05 PM

Happy if this will speed up the game

retiredguy123 09-09-2022 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2134773)
Happy if this will speed up the game

I would rather they put me to sleep faster.

Babubhat 09-09-2022 03:45 PM

Half the player roster and half the games would make the regular season more meaningful. Most teams out it by July 4

blueash 09-09-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2134770)

Sadly it does not include the change I think would most improve the game.. Use technology to call balls and strikes. Every single game has myriad wrong guesses by the home plate ump. There is the lovely box on the screen that tells me where the strike zone is and it would so nice if a ball was called a ball and vice versa.

fdpaq0580 09-09-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 2134793)
Sadly it does not include the change I think would most improve the game.. Use technology to call balls and strikes. Every single game has myriad wrong guesses by the home plate ump. There is the lovely box on the screen that tells me where the strike zone is and it would so nice if a ball was called a ball and vice versa.

And robot pitching machines and drones with nets to snag the long fly ball headed for the center field fence, and...... Or, forget the tech. It is a game, not an arms race.....??? Or is it?

Stu from NYC 09-09-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 2134791)
Half the player roster and half the games would make the regular season more meaningful. Most teams out it by July 4

Too many dollars would be lost to do that. Besides once upon a time only two teams were in playoff.

Davonu 09-09-2022 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 2134793)

You sure trust that box. Read the official MLB definition of the strike zone. Often the box isn’t even right according to that definition. Plus, the strike zone is 3 dimensional…due to home plate having depth. That really matters on breaking pitches. The box doesn’t reflect that at all.

I think balls and strikes will be automated someday, but I don’t think the tech is quite ready…at least the way it’s shown on the screen today.

Worldseries27 09-10-2022 04:41 AM

Fat lady ain't singing yet

Quote:

Originally Posted by babubhat (Post 2134791)
half the player roster and half the games would make the regular season more meaningful. Most teams out it by july 4

july 4th yankees up by 15 games on tampa bay rays
today 3 and a half.

La lamy 09-10-2022 05:05 AM

I love it when people try to make things better! I'm all for a faster game that's for sure. :BigApplause:

djplong 09-10-2022 05:38 AM

Robo-umps will be here in 2024. I can't find a link at the moment but that "rule change" can't happen until a year after a meeting where it's decided and that meeting is scheduled in 2023.

Unfortunately, they won't be doing it right. As I understand it, instead of the system that basically signals the ump as to whether a pitch is a ball or strike, umps will still call the pitches and there will be another "challenge system" that players or the managers will have to instigate.

The system in question is a true 3-dimensional system, unlike the "2D" boxes you see on regular telecasts. That means that a breaking ball could be in the dirt by the time it gets to the catcher's mitt but still have "nicked the strike zone" on it's way there.

RiderOnTheStorm 09-10-2022 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2134776)
I would rather they put me to sleep faster.

I'm with you. I'll be watching my grass grow. Much more exciting.

RICH1 09-10-2022 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2134770)

An Excellent Post ! Thank you for the great read… some of my best memories were at the ballpark

Travelhunter123 09-10-2022 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davonu (Post 2134845)
You sure trust that box. Read the official MLB definition of the strike zone. Often the box isn’t even right according to that definition. Plus, the strike zone is 3 dimensional…due to home plate having depth. That really matters on breaking pitches. The box doesn’t reflect that at all.

I think balls and strikes will be automated someday, but I don’t think the tech is quite ready…at least the way it’s shown on the screen today.

The technology is more than ready. The state of the art is way beyond this

garykoca427@gmail.com 09-10-2022 06:36 AM

Baseball

I am for the changes that are being implemented. I remember watching a Dodger pitcher - Baez - taking about two minutes to throw each pitch. I don't understand why the players could not have solved the problem of stacking the infield all to one side by bunting or hitting the ball to the vacated side, but I guess they can't. And I would not put in an automatic ball and strike robot. Having umpires is part of the charm of the game.