Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Ceiling fan speed problem (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/ceiling-fan-speed-problem-335149/)

Arctic Fox 09-13-2022 07:43 AM

Ceiling fan speed problem

Two years ago you all came in with helpful advice regarding a ceiling fan that had lost some of its speeds.

New problem for you today, class.

I have a Hunter ceiling fan that has lost its fastest speed so I suspect, based on answers to the above, that the capacitor needs replacing.

I have checked all combinations of pull cord and wall switch and can get every speed except the fastest.

I use only the wall switch, not the pull cord on the fan, so can I just remove the capacitor from the fan and "rewire" or is it needed for something other than the various speeds?

My thinking is that the default will be the fastest speed so having no capacitor might let me select all speeds from the wall switch. Or I may burn the place down.

Thank you

villagetinker 09-13-2022 09:13 AM

Artic Fox, capacitors are cheap usually less than $10, You should be able to see exactly what you need from removal of the light fixture or the bottom plate. Also, I have seen switches go bad, lowes has switch on an end cap in the fan isle, not sure if they have the caps.

Hape2Bhr 09-13-2022 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2136110)
Artic Fox, capacitors are cheap usually less than $10, You should be able to see exactly what you need from removal of the light fixture or the bottom plate. Also, I have seen switches go bad, lowes has switch on an end cap in the fan isle, not sure if they have the caps.

Curious...are there individual capacitors for the different fan speeds?

TommyT 09-13-2022 10:24 AM

Call Hunter directly. If I'm correct don't they have a lifetime warranty ?

Help Center
1 (888) 830-1326
Mon-Fri 8AM to 6PM CST
Sat 11AM to 5PM CST
Email Us

Michael G. 09-13-2022 10:31 AM

I respect your "Tool man fix it ability ", but ceiling fans are cheap.
Crawl up there once, replace it, one and done, life is good.

villagetinker 09-13-2022 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr (Post 2136129)
Curious...are there individual capacitors for the different fan speeds?

All of the fans I have worked on had one capacitor unit with 3, 4, or 5 wires, depending on the fan design, with typically 2 or 3 different values for different speeds.

Arctic Fox 09-13-2022 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2136143)
I respect your "Tool man fix it ability ", but ceiling fans are cheap.
Crawl up there once, replace it, one and done, life is good.

Thank you, Michael G, but I'm not one for throwing away something that can be fixed. Especially when replacing a capacitor is much easier than replacing the whole fan. Even better, if the problem can be solved by just removing the capacitor (which I doubt) then the job is even easier.

Arctic Fox 09-13-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2136110)

Thank you, as always, VillageTinker.

My problem is that I am not currently near a decent hardware store so I can't get hold of the right capacitor for at least six weeks. No matter, I have survived on "medium" speed for two years :-)

Toymeister 09-13-2022 12:53 PM

It is not your cap, it is your pull chain switch. These are available on Amazon. Mechanically these switches are very cheap and prone to breakage. It's unlikely you will find these at a hardware store, although you might find them on their online store.

All of this is assuming that you have set the fan's pull switch to high or to otherwise determine the fan speed and are using the wall switch as an on/off

villagetinker 09-13-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 2136190)

My problem is that I am not currently near a decent hardware store so I can't get hold of the right capacitor for at least six weeks. No matter, I have survived on "medium" speed for two years :-)

ArticFox, I am currently out of service, if you can hold on for about 4 weeks i will be glad to look at the fan, and test the switch. I believe you know how to contact me.

retiredguy123 09-13-2022 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 2136190)

If you need a capacitor or a chain switch, you can get them both from Amazon in one day for less than 10 dollars.

Arctic Fox 09-13-2022 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toymeister (Post 2136218)
It is not your cap, it is your pull chain switch. These are available on Amazon. Mechanically these switches are very cheap and prone to breakage.

Thank you, Toymeister

I leave the fan's "pull chain switch" on maximum and vary the speed using the wall control, so once replaced it should last.

metoo21 09-13-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 2136140)
Call Hunter directly. If I'm correct don't they have a lifetime warranty ?

Help Center
1 (888) 830-1326
Mon-Fri 8AM to 6PM CST
Sat 11AM to 5PM CST
Email Us

That was the original made in the USA hunter fans that had a real decent motor with oilable bearings. The current ones are made with the cheap parts and motors like all of the other fans.

Remembergoldenrule 09-14-2022 06:34 AM

Have you checked Amazon?

Toymeister 09-14-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Fox (Post 2136251)
Thank you, Toymeister

I leave the fan's "pull chain switch" on maximum and vary the speed using the wall control, so once replaced it should last.

You've introduced new variable into the situation. The problem could be your wall speed control. To determine if that is the problem replace the wall speed control with a standard on/off switch (spst) and see if the fan now operates on high speed.

Not every fan problem is a capacitor issue.