Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Pet lost to gator (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/pet-lost-gator-335453/)

Cedere Nescio 09-24-2022 11:03 AM

Pet lost to gator

Have heard that a dog was taken by an alligator in Bradford a few days ago. Haven’t seen any word in news outlets or forums but have heard from persons that were present.

Just a reminder to keep your pets on leashes and away from the shore lines of any lakes. It only takes a moment for a gator to pull an animal into the water and even large dogs can be drowned before they can escape.

Taltarzac725 09-24-2022 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedere Nescio (Post 2139530)
Have heard that a dog was taken by an alligator in Bradford a few days ago. Haven’t seen any word in news outlets or forums but have heard from persons that were present.

Just a reminder to keep your pets on leashes and away from the shore lines of any lakes. It only takes a moment for a gator to pull an animal into the water and even large dogs can be drowned before they can escape.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences to the family of the dog.

Most of the people at dog parks and elsewhere whom I have met who have lost a dog have been to cars/trucks or golf carts.

Keep dogs on a leash and keep a hold of it.

Kenswing 09-24-2022 11:28 AM

Before there is too much speculation. From what people who witnessed the event, The dog was being walked by a pet sitter/dog walker. The dog was on a leash and on the path. Just goes to show that a hungry gator, especially one that’s used to seeing people isn’t afraid to leave the pond for food.

Also from what I understand, the gator was removed.

ThirdOfFive 09-24-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenswing (Post 2139539)
Before there is too much speculation. From what people who witnessed the event, The dog was being walked by a pet sitter/dog walker. The dog was on a leash and on the path. Just goes to show that a hungry gator, especially one that’s used to seeing people isn’t afraid to leave the pond for food.

Also from what I understand, the gator was removed.

Alligators are--well--alligators. If they see lunch walking by (I doubt alligators have the concept of "leash") they'll partake.

Alligators rarely leave the comfortable confines of their pond. Keep Fifi well away from the shore and things should be fine.

coffeebean 09-24-2022 12:40 PM

I did not want to live near water because I did not want to fear working in the yard. With my back to the water, I would always feel as though a gator would come up behind me and attack. I do not trust them. I do a lot of work in the yard and enjoy it.

ThirdOfFive 09-24-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2139554)
I did not want to live near water because I did not want to fear working in the yard. With my back to the water, I would always feel as though a gator would come up behind me and attack. I do not trust them. I do a lot of work in the yard and enjoy it.

Saw a picture awhile back of a gator with a golf ball on his back.

What IS the ruling in a case like that?

Taltarzac725 09-24-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2139556)

Probably to let her have it.

Taltarzac725 09-24-2022 12:56 PM

Recall a dog park friend had let Jon Snow out to pee in the middle of the night in a backyard on a cul-de-sac and, unfortunately, one or more coyotes took off with the pooch. He used to break up fights in the back field of Doggie Doo Run Run where they allow any size dog.

I could no longer celebrate Game of Thrones with the dog's owner and daughter by telling them "Jon Snow lives!" They are a fan of Game of Thrones.

Jon Snow has a memorial bench at Doggie Doo Run Run.

Lots of critters to look out for day and night here in the Villages.

Stu from NYC 09-24-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Two stroke penalty for not hitting the ball as it lies

Two Bills 09-24-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Free drop. Two club lengths, no nearer hole. No penalty!

Altavia 09-24-2022 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2139551)
Alligators are--well--alligators. If they see lunch walking by (I doubt alligators have the concept of "leash") they'll partake.

Alligators rarely leave the comfortable confines of their pond. Keep Fifi well away from the shore and things should be fine.

Fishermen attract gaters. Especially if they tease them with their catch.

We had gator that started following fishermen, then start following walkers.

A fishing pole and line may look similar to a dog on a leash.

Stu from NYC 09-24-2022 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altavia (Post 2139585)
Fishermen attract gaters. Especially if they tease them with their catch.

We had gator that started following fishermen, then start following walkers.

A fishing pole and line may look similar to a dog on a leash.

Foolish for a fisherman to interact with gators especially with fish on the line. They get them used to people and thinking of people as food.

Nothing good can come of that.

JMintzer 09-24-2022 03:51 PM

Quote:

Let the gator play thru...

thelegges 09-24-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 2139554)

Small 5’ gator left a pond 36 houses away, crossed the street, walked through houses, no where near a pond, crossed 2nd street, where a golf cart ran over end of tail, in the dark.

Made his way down our street crossed behind our house, to enter pond across the street. Neighborhood named him lucky. Stayed 8 days, then walked different route to a 3rd pond. Cameras are a good thing, but gator never smile when the light comes on

So be aware no need to live near a pond, they can roam anywhere.

coffeebean 09-24-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelegges (Post 2139629)
Small 5’ gator left a pond 36 houses away, crossed the street, walked through houses, no where near a pond, crossed 2nd street, where a golf cart ran over end of tail, in the dark.

Made his way down our street crossed behind our house, to enter pond across the street. Neighborhood named him lucky. Stayed 8 days, then walked different route to a 3rd pond. Cameras are a good thing, but gator never smile when the light comes on

So be aware no need to live near a pond, they can roam anywhere.

Very true but there is more of a chance of a gator encounter when one lives close to the water.