Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   McCall’s (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/mccalls-335770/)

Chandra10100 10-07-2022 10:29 AM

McCall’s

NEW OWNERS !
Still have fried chicken!
Still have Penn State and Bills Parties.

Changes will make it twice as good as it once was.

valuemkt 10-07-2022 12:55 PM

Since the overall experience there has been horrible the past few years, will it now be twice as bad ? Hopefully there will be a 100% turnover in service staff and management

PugMom 10-07-2022 01:13 PM

i had not heard of McCall's, & had to look it up. i see reviews that reflect exactly what you are saying & it appears the good reviews ended aprox. 1 year ago. do you think it's the management or worker's fault?? am curious, thx

Stu from NYC 10-07-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PugMom (Post 2144352)
i had not heard of McCall's, & had to look it up. i see reviews that reflect exactly what you are saying & it appears the good reviews ended aprox. 1 year ago. do you think it's the management or worker's fault?? am curious, thx

Both?

Mrs.Guy 10-07-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2144357)
Both?

;) Considering we have been going to McCall's for 18+ years let me offer my guess...... It just sold so maybe the OWNER didn't really want to be there and just maybe it was his/her/their fault. I find the workers to be very nice. Also, let's remember it's a BOWLING:icon_hungry:ALLEY!!!! Just some info. for posters who have never been there and didn't know it existed a day ago. :oops:

Bill14564 10-07-2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

The last time we were there, probably a year ago, it was the manager's fault. The servers never stopped moving but there were too many tables seated for the number of servers and we were told by the manager that the kitchen was understaffed.

Being short on staff happens, especially so soon after COVID, but the manager should have kept some tables empty to improve the experience for the rest.

(we haven't been avoiding McCall's, just don't get up to Spanish Springs very often)

Keefelane66 10-07-2022 02:59 PM

Restaurants fail because of poor management if you pay peanuts you get monkeys to work for you. Owners usually take out capital and don't reinvest.

PugMom 10-07-2022 03:42 PM

i don't get to Spanish Springs much either, which is a shame because it's such a lovely area. thanks for the input, i may try it someday

Mleeja 10-07-2022 05:59 PM

I hope the new ownership improves the service. Our last couple of trips there were not the best. Again, the wait staff was prompt, courteous, and helpful but the food took forever to arrive. Most bad restaurant reviews revolve around slow service from the kitchen. It is up to management to get the proper kitchen staff. Then again, I am willing to guess short order cooks are hard to find…

Garywt 10-07-2022 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Guy (Post 2144368)
;) Considering we have been going to McCall's for 18+ years let me offer my guess...... It just sold so maybe the OWNER didn't really want to be there and just maybe it was his/her/their fault. I find the workers to be very nice. Also, let's remember it's a BOWLING:icon_hungry:ALLEY!!!! Just some info. for posters who have never been there and didn't know it existed a day ago. :oops:

I did not know it was a bowling alley. So do you order food while bowling or can you go even if you don’t want to bowl. Have only sat outside for a couple drinks.

Bill14564 10-07-2022 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 2144470)
I did not know it was a bowling alley. So do you order food while bowling or can you go even if you don’t want to bowl. Have only sat outside for a couple drinks.

I've noticed there was a bowling alley attached but to me it is a bar/restaurant.

Mrs.Guy 10-07-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2144478)
I've noticed there was a bowling alley attached but to me it is a bar/restaurant.

:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Never saw a bowling alley without a bar. :D

Mrs.Guy 10-07-2022 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 2144470)

:icon_wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeXGd1AQrz8

Bill14564 10-07-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Guy (Post 2144498)
:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl: Never saw a bowling alley without a bar. :D

Never saw a bowling alley with 20+ tables, a stage, a full menu, servers, and an outdoor eating area. But then I haven't spent much time at bowling alleys in the last 20 years so.....

Go to McCall's and take a seat facing the bar or the door and you won't even know a bowling alley exists.

Mrs.Guy 10-07-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2144501)
Never saw a bowling alley with 20+ tables, a stage, a full menu, servers, and an outdoor eating area. But then I haven't spent much time at bowling alleys in the last 20 years so.....

Go to McCall's and take a seat facing the bar or the door and you won't even know a bowling alley exists.

I agree. Always amazed you can't hear the bowling.

Have you been to Fiesta Bowl? Similar setup...... can't remember if they have a stage. :smiley: