Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Are we all really just cannibals? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/we-all-really-just-cannibals-336133/)

YeOldeCurmudgeon 10-22-2022 09:44 AM

Are we all really just cannibals?

Read this interesting article questioning what would happen if the human race turned vegetarian / vegan. This is not to say I am one, though I try to eat less meat, but it would have both positive and negative consequences. At present it is simply unrealistic but it seems to me that eventually, perhaps some centuries into the future, we will be viewed in the same way we view cannibals today.

What Would Happen If the World Suddenly Went Vegetarian?

Byte1 10-22-2022 09:51 AM

I enjoy a good ribeye steak or a juicy "smash" burger and fries. I get my veggies on a sausage and pepperoni pizza by the tomato sauce and occasionally a few mushrooms. My father was a meat and potato man and lived into his 90's. Why ruin a good thing with veggies, when you can eat those animals that enjoy their veggies? Give me a Brazilian steak house any day over a salad bar.

Stu from NYC 10-22-2022 09:58 AM

Tastes like chicken?:icon_hungry:

fdpaq0580 10-22-2022 10:03 AM

[QUOeat those animals that enjoy their veggies? [/QUOTE]

Secondhand vegetarian diet. Only eat animals that are vegetarian. No meat eaters. Seafood is the reverse.

Stu from NYC 10-22-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 (Post 2149768)
[QUOeat those animals that enjoy their veggies?

Secondhand vegetarian diet. Only eat animals that are vegetarian. No meat eaters. Seafood is the reverse.[/QUOTE]

So you can be a second hand veg by eating deer? Asking for a friend who is a vegetarian.

Two Bills 10-22-2022 12:49 PM

I am an unrepentant carnivore, but love my vegetables as well.
Especially the ones I grow myself.
Many moons ago, ate some of the animals we raised as well.

manaboutown 10-22-2022 04:10 PM

I hope the carnitas in my lunch tacos did not come from long pig.

Mortal1 10-22-2022 06:17 PM

Dealing with the present...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon (Post 2149754)
Read this interesting article questioning what would happen if the human race turned vegetarian / vegan. This is not to say I am one, though I try to eat less meat, but it would have both positive and negative consequences. At present it is simply unrealistic but it seems to me that eventually, perhaps some centuries into the future, we will be viewed in the same way we view cannibals today.

and very near future is enough for me. I think a person has to be a bit of a masochist to worry about the future when I won't exist.

Imagine if George Washington had wondered if there would be people who would want to end free speech or freedom of choice.

It is a fools errand to wonder such things when the light at the end of the tunnel could really be an oncoming locomotive.

Velvet 10-22-2022 11:21 PM

Cannibal means a person who eats the flesh of another human. I sort of doubt we are going to turn into that. I also doubt we are all going to be chewing the cud like cows anytime soon. Our teeth tend towards omnivore.

Byte1 10-23-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2149943)
Cannibal means a person who eats the flesh of another human. I sort of doubt we are going to turn into that. I also doubt we are all going to be chewing the cud like cows anytime soon. Our teeth tend towards omnivore.

I'm mostly a carnivore...:icon_hungry:

spinner1001 10-23-2022 09:38 AM

Quote:

Are we all really just cannibals?

Maybe it’s one way to reduce greenhouse gases.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 10-23-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

In the US, for example, an average family of four emits more greenhouse gases because of the meat they eat than from driving two cars
I stopped reading after this. It's a well known fact that vegetarians produce more gas than meat eaters.

When I read this statement, the author lost all credibility.

Stu from NYC 10-23-2022 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 2150033)
I'm mostly a carnivore...:icon_hungry:

Mostly????? Do we want to know more?:bigbow:

Priebehouse 10-24-2022 05:24 AM

Great!

Quote:

Great! More methane! :ohdear:

midiwiz 10-24-2022 05:57 AM

Quote:

Better question What if Bill Gates was buying all the cattle land so he could rid us of beef (polution crap) and make us eat ...... eeeewwwww I just can't say it.

but you get my drift.