Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   NFL Football (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nfl-football-328/)
-   -   Changes I'd Like to see the NFL Make (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/nfl-football-328/changes-id-like-see-nfl-make-336432/)

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 11-03-2022 10:00 AM

Changes I'd Like to see the NFL Make

Get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.
When a team is penalized and the penalty yardage is more than the distance they have behind them, move the ball halfway to the goal line but add the additional yardage at the other end. For example, a team is on their own 10 yard line and they commit a fifteen yard penalty move the ball to the five but move the sticks ten yards so they have to make it to the thirty for a first down. That way they are actually getting a fifteen yard penalty.
I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty. Since most kickoffs go into or over the end zone. I'd just eliminate kickoffs and place the ball on the twenty.
When there is a defensive penalty on a touchdown, it is applied to the ensuing kickoff which is meaningless because all it does is allow the kicking team to kick the ball out of the end zone. I'd place the ball on the 10 yard line and make it first and ten. If it was a fifteen yard penalty, it would be first and fifteen from the ten.
Any other ideas or comments?

GpaVader 11-03-2022 10:15 AM

The only comment on the kick off piece is that it doesn't really allow for onside kicks.

Sometimes they are predictable, behind by a possession or more with time running out. Other times they come out of the blue like in the SB with NO and Indy. A coach see's something or wants to roll the dice...

Personally, I think they should give the coach's one more challenge and let them challenge anything, anytime. Same rules apply if you are wrong you lose a time out and if don't have a time out, you don't have any challenges. Really think the roughing the passer is getting out of hand. Next thing you know the QB will have to wear flags...

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 11-03-2022 12:13 PM

I thought about the onside kick. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It doesn't happen very often and I'd say that 95% of the time everyone knows it's coming.

I have mixed feelings about that one.

Yes, roughing the passer does seems to be called too much. A lot of the times I think it's just a bad call.

Stu from NYC 11-03-2022 12:17 PM

Not going to happen but shorten the game with less and shorter commercials

Badger 2006 11-03-2022 01:59 PM

Agree with at least 1 coaches challenge for anything. Too many missed or bad calls that can impact the game outcome. Since the ref’s on the field are going to get critical calls wrong, or flat out miss a call sometimes, and the zillion cameras will almost immediately expose the error, possibly an off field ref that has the ability to make a missed call, or reverse a bad call would help.

Badger 2006 11-03-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2154185)
Not going to happen but shorten the game with less and shorter commercials

That’s tapping into the networks revenue stream, so that’s not going to happen.

MarkD1981 11-04-2022 04:46 AM

Always having the visitors bat first in baseball makes sense because it is more exciting for the home team fans since the game is over once the home team has the lead in the final inning. With football, there are really two decisions. Who gets the ball first and what end zone do you defend first. Deciding can be a meaningful advantage especially in bad weather.

jedalton 11-04-2022 04:57 AM

I like it

Two Bills 11-04-2022 05:08 AM

I think that any franchise making their team wear pink, should have to give all their players a $million bonus.
Plus.
All teams playing against Patrick Mahomes should be given a 14 point start, because he's that good!

George Page 11-04-2022 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2154391)
All teams playing against Patrick Mahomes should be given a 14 point start, because he's that good!

Better yet, start the season presenting the Super Bowl trophy to whatever team has Brady and cancel all the games.

Worldseries27 11-04-2022 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr winston o boogie jr (Post 2154141)
get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.
When a team is penalized and the penalty yardage is more than the distance they have behind them, move the ball halfway to the goal line but add the additional yardage at the other end. For example, a team is on their own 10 yard line and they commit a fifteen yard penalty move the ball to the five but move the sticks ten yards so they have to make it to the thirty for a first down. That way they are actually getting a fifteen yard penalty.
I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty. Since most kickoffs go into or over the end zone. I'd just eliminate kickoffs and place the ball on the twenty.
When there is a defensive penalty on a touchdown, it is applied to the ensuing kickoff which is meaningless because all it does is allow the kicking team to kick the ball out of the end zone. I'd place the ball on the 10 yard line and make it first and ten. If it was a fifteen yard penalty, it would be first and fifteen from the ten.

1. No hash marks.
Useless marker.
2. Wider field
3. Penalties away
from the play

cannot negate it
4. Qb can throw a
field goal from 70
plus yards
5. Pass interference
only called if their
is grabbing of
players body or
uniform

rrtjp 11-04-2022 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 2154141)
Get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.

Eliminate all the celebration BS in the end zone

NoMo50 11-04-2022 06:52 AM

Change the scoring values for field goals, which would add strategy to the game:

From 1 to 25 yards = 1 point
From 26 to 40 yards = 2 points
From 41 to 55 yards = 3 points
Field goals over 56 yards = 4 points

Sparky6236 11-04-2022 07:02 AM

Not this year

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Page (Post 2154394)
Better yet, start the season presenting the Super Bowl trophy to whatever team has Brady and cancel all the games.

No Super Bowl trophy for Tom Baby this season.

Fredman 11-04-2022 07:03 AM

[QUOTE=Dr Winston O Boogie jr;2154141]Get rid of the coin toss. like in baseball.

I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty.
It is not controversial they do move the ball to the 25 yard line.