Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Investment Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/)
-   -   Housing Markets Crushed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/investment-talk-158/housing-markets-crushed-33692/)

Ajack 11-20-2010 12:01 AM

Housing Markets Crushed

These are the 15 housing markets that will get crushed the hardest by 2012.

Check out all the Florida cities.

http://www.businessinsider.com/real-...e-most-2010-11

chuckinca 11-20-2010 02:51 AM

Property Taxes should go down too!

2 Oldcrabs 11-20-2010 06:48 AM

Our home value in Delaware has dropped $100k in the last 18 month. As a want-to-be, it makes it hard to find a comparable in The Villages!

nkrifats 11-20-2010 07:11 AM

Nothing new here. Pricing before was out of control. Trying to sell my house now. Have to be ready to deal with today's market in order to sell. Do I like it no. But it is what it is.

Russ_Boston 11-20-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrifats (Post 309954)
Nothing new here. Pricing before was out of control. Trying to sell my house now. Have to be ready to deal with today's market in order to sell. Do I like it no. But it is what it is.

Wow, a realistic person. Same boat here.

Ajack 11-20-2010 07:52 AM

Nine out of fifteen are in Florida. I guess that demonstrates the amazing exception of the Villages?

Russ_Boston 11-20-2010 08:00 AM

Yes TV seems to be world's apart from reality. But I do think TV prices adjusted accordingly to keep the sales flowing. Prices are much lower, 'apples' to 'apples' than 2007.

ajbrown 11-20-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston (Post 309969)
Yes TV seems to be world's apart from reality. But I do think TV prices adjusted accordingly to keep the sales flowing. Prices are much lower, 'apples' to 'apples' than 2007.

Thanks for reminding me Russ, being here for my 4th winter I had almost forgot :laugh:

brostholder 11-20-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkrifats (Post 309954)

Same situation in NW Ohio. Took me a year to learn that the market determines the selling price of my house, not what I paid for it or what I think it is worth. Had to make some hard decisions, but my often empty home in the villages is calling to me.

Russ_Boston 11-20-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbrown (Post 309971)
Thanks for reminding me Russ, being here for my 4th winter I had almost forgot :laugh:

An extra 4 winters in TV makes up for any monetary loss!

BobKat1 11-20-2010 09:20 AM

If one can work it out, it's definitely a great time to buy, not only in TV and Fl, but elsewhere around the country.

Bill-n-Brillo 11-20-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brostholder (Post 309990)
Same situation in NW Ohio. Took me a year to learn that the market determines the selling price of my house, not what I paid for it or what I think it is worth. Had to make some hard decisions, but my often empty home in the villages is calling to me.

Pretty much the same thing we went through in order to sell our prior "permanent" home in central OH. Took us a year of a continuum of price reductions to get the asking price to a point where we found a solid buyer. The buyers are out there - but unfortunately, price seems to be THE driving factor in today's market. For us, it was painful and a bit tough to not be bitter about the whole thing. But we sucked it up and got on with things. Such is life sometimes!

As Paul Sr. said in an American Chopper episode a few years back: "What was, was and what is, is is, and this what is....is what's happening right now!" :)

Bill

starflyte1 11-20-2010 12:42 PM

Over the years, we have had success with real estate transactions, but the two that brought us perhaps the most happiness and peace of mind, were the ones we lost money. It was worth something to get on with our lives.

Our friends in Bonita Springs (South Florida) have been trying to sell their home for years, and have been chasing the market down the whole time. In the beginning, the price was too high. Waaay tooo high. They are still behind.

Tbugs 11-21-2010 11:37 AM

Home prices have come back a little bit over the past year but not much. I was extremely blessed to sell my house in Washington, DC area (Maryland) in 8 days last year at the asking price.

One person posted their home had declined in value by $100K. That probably was at the peak of the bubble and hopefully, not what they paid for it. Hopefully, they can sell at today's prices and still make money over what they paid for the house.

You have to ask yourself if it is worth holding out for a higher price or moving to this slice of Heaven we call The Villages? I say it is wiser to sell for what you can and move here. Of course, there are still markets where it is impossible to sell at any price.

Snowbirdtobe 11-21-2010 12:13 PM

TV housing market has been severely dented but not crushed.
Look at new home sales. They have taken a hit even in TV but they continue.
There are no streets full of unfinished homes. There are no homes with the copper wiring ripped out. No reasonable person worries that the pools will be closed this winter because the developer can't pay the bills. All of these things have happened and continue to happen at other developments in FL and around the country.
I believe that TV will recover faster then the rest of the country as the boomers flee the North to retire in TV.

PS I don't work for the developer and don't sell real estate.
I work for a large defense contractor that just had a small layoff and wasn't included. :swear::swear: