Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lawn care for villa (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lawn-care-villa-336946/)

Henryfrakl 11-25-2022 10:06 AM

Lawn care for villa

Looking for lawn service for small villa that would need the use of a small lawnmower not sit down

fdpaq0580 11-25-2022 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryfrakl (Post 2160679)
Looking for lawn service for small villa that would need the use of a small lawnmower not sit down

Small electric mower could probably do the job in minutes. Good excuse to get outside. Or, get a pygmy goat and they can "mow", trim bushes and plants and fertilize, for free.

retiredguy123 11-25-2022 11:21 AM

If you don't want to do any lawn care work, I have found that Massey is the only company that will do everything, including mowing, shrub trimming, weed control, fertilizing, pest contol, termites, and irrigation maintenance. And, they will return your phone calls. They are not best and they are not cheap, but, if you don't want to do anything and you only want to deal with one company, I don't know of another company. Also, you can pay as you go, with no advance payments, autopay, or contracts (except termites). If anyone knows another company, please post it.

vintageogauge 11-25-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2160704)
If you don't want to do any lawn care work, I have found that Massey is the only company that will do everything, including mowing, shrub trimming, weed control, fertilizing, pest contol, termites, and irrigation maintenance. And, they will return your phone calls. They are not best and they are not cheap, but, if you don't want to do anything and you only want to deal with one company, I don't know of another company. Also, you can pay as you go, with no advance payments, autopay, or contracts (except termites). If anyone knows another company, please post it.

Everyone on my street that used Massey got rid of them except one snowbird who ended up getting a notice that his lawn and weeds were exceedingly high so he then dumped Massey also. In my opinion, and my opinion only, they are one of the worst landscaping companies in The Villages. If you want a smaller independent lawn service post what village you are in as the good guys tend to stay in one area and no sense wasting your time calling someone that won't service your villa.

retiredguy123 11-25-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2160725)
Everyone on my street that used Massey got rid of them except one snowbird who ended up getting a notice that his lawn and weeds were exceedingly high so he then dumped Massey also. In my opinion, and my opinion only, they are one of the worst landscaping companies in The Villages. If you want a smaller independent lawn service post what village you are in as the good guys tend to stay in one area and no sense wasting your time calling someone that won't service your villa.

I'm satisfied with Massey. I have hired and fired several small companies. Never found any company who will take care of everything needed for a small villa. What good is a company who will mow your grass, but won't trim your shrubs, spray for weeds, apply fertilizer, repair a broken sprinkler, or even return a phone call? And, then they go out of business.

The closest I have found is Dean's, but I don't think they work on sprinklers, and they require a credit card that they can charge any time they want. And, they won't provide a multi-year termite contract.

vintageogauge 11-26-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2160734)
I'm satisfied with Massey. I have hired and fired several small companies. Never found any company who will take care of everything needed for a small villa. What good is a company who will mow your grass, but won't trim your shrubs, spray for weeds, apply fertilizer, repair a broken sprinkler, or even return a phone call? And, then they go out of business.

The closest I have found is Dean's, but I don't think they work on sprinklers, and they require a credit card that they can charge any time they want. And, they won't provide a multi-year termite contract.

Decades ago the owner of a lawn & garden store told me that you never want the same company fertilizing your lawn that has to come and mow your lawn as he's the only one that doesn't want to see it grow. Lots of great small local companies that will handle all of anyones landscape maintenance. Today just happens to be small business Saturday, give one a try.

retiredguy123 11-26-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2160803)
Decades ago the owner of a lawn & garden store told me that you never want the same company fertilizing your lawn that has to come and mow your lawn as he's the only one that doesn't want to see it grow. Lots of great small local companies that will handle all of anyones landscape maintenance. Today just happens to be small business Saturday, give one a try.

Can you name one who will do everything listed in Post No. 3?

Michael G. 11-26-2022 11:29 AM

On this subject, I find your neighbors are the best information on getting lawn care of any type.
Besides, if said company is in the neighborhood, it might make sense to hire them.
It amazes me the number of them around.

rochellepfaff 11-27-2022 06:14 AM

Lawn service for villa

qUOTE=Henryfrakl;2160679]Looking for lawn service for small villa that would need the use of a small lawnmower not sit down[/QUOTE]

I use Choice Services for my villa. 352-502-2880. They use a push mower that fits thru the gate. They come every week like clockwork, do it fast and efficiently, and always remember to close the gate. They also will trim bushes and do other landscaping services if you want them to. They do many of the houses in my area.

Nucky 11-27-2022 08:29 AM

I’m inclined to agree with retiredguy123. He gives good advice all the time. The OP asked a question and he answered it. If you have another experience then he offered then share it.

I used Choice Maintenance and the experience was good and bad. They certainly have their act together. They didn’t have all the services that the OP spoke of back then but I would try them again if Massey doesn’t work out.

Thanks for the tip, retiredguy.

darylj2000 11-27-2022 08:58 AM

Morgan’s W

ljr811 11-27-2022 09:00 AM

Lawn Services

Laguna Lawn Services

chrissy2231 11-27-2022 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henryfrakl (Post 2160679)

marcus merano 843-425-0875

RICH1 11-27-2022 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2160725)

You speak the Truth ! Massey is the worst! I would like to go as far, and say they SUCK !

vintageogauge 11-27-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2160807)
Can you name one who will do everything listed in Post No. 3?

I stated in post number 6 that is't not a great idea to have the same person that mows your lawn fertilize your lawn and Massey does a terrible job on both. I would use one company that specializes only in chemical work and another to do everything else and there are plenty of them. Post on your specific village Facebook page and you will get lots of replies.