Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Griner freed - marine left behind (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/griner-freed-marine-left-behind-337248/)

Rainger99 12-08-2022 08:39 AM

Griner freed - marine left behind

Russia has freed WNBA star Brittney Griner in exchange for the US releasing Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

The exchange does not include retired U.S. Marine Paul Whelan. Whelan has been in Russian custody for nearly four years.

RedChariot 12-08-2022 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2164304)
Russia has freed WNBA star Brittney Griner in exchange for the US releasing Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout.

The exchange does not include retired U.S. Marine Paul Whelan. Whelan has been in Russian custody for nearly four years.

Why her first? Shouldn't Paul Whelan be first to come home?

Rainger99 12-08-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedChariot (Post 2164308)

Griner pleaded guilty and Whelan pleaded not guilty.

So we make a deal for the one who admitted she committed the crime and we don’t make a deal for the one who didn’t commit the crime.

Keefelane66 12-08-2022 08:56 AM

Retired USMarine was issued a bad conduct discharge relating to larceny.
Arrested on charges of espionage and convicted he carries American, Canadian. Irish and British Citizenship a real James Bond?

JSR22 12-08-2022 08:58 AM

I am happy she was released, and hope other American prisoners are released.

Caymus 12-08-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2164304)

Just had to trade "The Merchant of Death"

tophcfa 12-08-2022 09:36 AM

Hmmmm, so we traded a brutal arms dealer termed “the merchant of death” for someone who refused to respectfully stand for the national anthem. The anti gun crowd is cheering and celebrating that justice has been achieved, you just can’t make this stuff up. Now Russia knows exactly what strings need to be pulled to get other brutally horrible criminals released.

charlieo1126@gmail.com 12-08-2022 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2164321)
Retired USMarine was issued a bad conduct discharge relating to larceny.
Arrested on charges of espionage and convicted he carries American, Canadian. Irish and British Citizenship a real James Bond?

I want to see him get out , but your right about him . I’ve thought for a long time that he’s the real deal and would take more to get him out.

BrianL99 12-08-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2164345)
Hmmmm, so we traded a brutal arms dealer termed “the merchant of death” for someone who refused to respectfully stand for the national anthem. The anti gun crowd is cheering and celebrating that justice has been achieved, you just can’t make this stuff up. Now Russia knows exactly what strings need to be pulled to get other brutally horrible criminals released.

Refused to stand for the Nation Anthem, is the least of her sins. She had a contract to play basketball in Russia, for at least the last 5-6 years and lived there for 6 months out of the year and got paid over $1,000,000/year. She was no "innocent American caught up in a Russian scam" .... she was as much a citizen of Russia, as she was of the USA.

Kelevision 12-08-2022 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedChariot (Post 2164308)

It wasn’t really her first since they freed Trevor Reed earlier this year and left both Griner and Whelan behind. The US offered this trade for both Griner and Whelan but Russia said not both, only Griner. Should we have said, no keep them both? I’m happy she’s out. As every single American should be.

JSR22 12-08-2022 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelevision (Post 2164358)
It wasn’t really her first since they freed Trevor Reed earlier this year and left both Griner and Whelan behind. The US offered this trade for both Griner and Whelan but Russia said not both, only Griner. Should we have said, no keep them both? I’m happy she’s out. As every single American should be.

agree. am very happy she s out and on the way home to her family.

charlieo1126@gmail.com 12-08-2022 10:41 AM

I’m sure there are many TV residents that may have protested the war in Vietnam , maybe even a few that cheered when someone burned a flag during the protest. Would you be okay with one of those protesters being incarcerated in a penal colony for years for a minor crime .You want to criticize her for a expressing her feelings go ahead , but being ok with her spending years in a penal colony because of it is just wrong . You may not have liked her actions , but free speech and peaceful protests no matter how distasteful is one of the things I and many others fought for .

Stu from NYC 12-08-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com (Post 2164371)
I’m sure there are many TV residents that may have protested the war in Vietnam , maybe even a few that cheered when someone burned a flag during the protest. Would you be okay with one of those protesters being incarcerated in a penal colony for years for a minor crime .You want to criticize her for a expressing her feelings go ahead , but being ok with her spending years in a penal colony because of it is just wrong . You may not have liked her actions , but free speech and peaceful protests no matter how distasteful is one of the things I and many others fought for .

I would agree with you but she did commit the crime she was accused of.

Tvflguy 12-08-2022 11:01 AM

Do not want to get “political” and end up in TOTV penalty box.

My only comment is grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Taltarzac725 12-08-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSR22 (Post 2164363)
agree. am very happy she s out and on the way home to her family.

Me too. And I give her the benefit of the doubt about her packing her bag in a rush.