Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Hospital Question (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/hospital-question-337444/)

kmspla1952 12-15-2022 05:50 PM

Hospital Question

I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Does anyone know if that is correct?
Thank You.

LAFwUs 12-15-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmspla1952 (Post 2166827)
If I/husband have a serious medical issue (stroke/shock/heart attack) and an ambulance is called, I was told that we would not be able to request being taken to another hospital but MUST be brought to The Villages Hospital.
Thank You.

Did you happen to ask whom ever stated that, why that is?
They would know better than anyone I'd imagine, if they are making that statement.
It could be a region/zone/area thing...where local ambulance service will only transport within certain mile range or is contracted to only provide transport to a given location(s). In this case, nearest being TV Hospitol...in other words, you cannot ask them transport your husband 2900 miles to Portland OR General, because your favorite doctor is there. (as an example).

BrianL99 12-15-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Thank You.

How Florida counties handle ambulances | News | The Villages Daily Sun | thevillagesdailysun.com

https://www.districtgov.org/images/p...2009-05-08.pdf

https://www.**************.com/2022/...-reports-have/

It's not a simple question. Depends on the circumstances and a hospital's current load, capacity and capabilities.

asianthree 12-15-2022 06:21 PM

From St Cat’s driver strongly suggested Leesburg General, due to MI. But they wanted to go to villages hospital, so that’s where patient was taken

Babubhat 12-15-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 2166839)
From St Cat’s driver strongly suggested Leesburg General, due to MI. But they wanted to go to villages hospital, so that’s where patient was taken

Leesburg has been the destination along 466a. No idea if mandatory but it’s been first rate care

Flyers999 12-15-2022 06:24 PM

From my short experience with a friend of mine in TV, the ambulance took him to where he could get the fastest treatment. They have constant contact with the nearby hospital emergency rooms. If one is overloaded, you wouldn't want to go there. After all, it is an emergency.
Once they took him to Ocala, another they took him to Leesburg. But this was about eight years ago.

asianthree 12-15-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babubhat (Post 2166841)
Leesburg has been the destination along 466a. No idea if mandatory but it’s been first rate care

It depends if Leesburg is full, then Ocala is in the mix. But everyone has a choice where they want to go. Suggestions can be made, but no bus driver can make it mandatory where you go. It’s your choice, your body, your insurance.

Unless you need Level 1-2, then you aren’t capable of talking to make a choice

Michael G. 12-15-2022 08:28 PM

A friend of mine from Stonecrest was transported by ambulance to Advent health in Ocala by his request for passing blood.
No questions ask.

tophcfa 12-15-2022 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers999 (Post 2166843)
From my short experience with a friend of mine in TV, the ambulance took him to where he could get the fastest treatment.

From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.

Sabella 12-16-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2166912)
From my experience with the Villages Hospital, it would be way quicker to drive someone to Boston or NYC if you were looking for faster (and actually get competent) treatment.

From my experience this past August do not go to the villages hospital . I don’t understand why this hospital is still open?

me4vt 12-16-2022 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been told this is #1 in the area.

Quote:

Thank You.

eeroger 12-16-2022 07:09 AM

Ambulance

[QUOTE=kmspla1952;2166827]I have a question please if anyone knows the answer.
Thank You.

As of Oct 1 VPSD is now responsible for ambulance transport. All other updates / info prior to Oct are obsolete. According to the fire chief, unless you are critical (stroke, heart attack, etc) you can request transport to a neighboring hospital, i.e. Ocala. If critical you will be taken to nearest hospital.

Heytubes 12-16-2022 07:19 AM

My experience and those of friends and relatives have had excellent care at the Villages and Leesburg hospitals. Problem is short staffed and the ER seems to have many patients without insurance, or so it appears from talking with some staff that doesn’t violate HIPPA.

waterflower 12-16-2022 08:06 AM

Not correct. You must be firm polite and strong.

jabacon6669 12-16-2022 08:07 AM

Yes, In the case of a potential life threatening illness, Parametics by law are required to transport a patient to the nearest facility, they can be over ruled by dispatch. When you become stable enough, you may request a transfer to a facility of your choice. I know back in my home state of Mass. there're were several hospitals that we transported to. Different hospitals were rated better for different incidents. Only some were trauma centers, only a couple were stroke centers. etc. In some cases if the ER was full, the dispatch might divert you to another facility. When a transport starts, the Parametic calls into dispatch with all the vital info on the patient. Dispatch is in the ER of certain hospitals, manned by nurses, maybe even a doctor. Dispatch makes the final call.