Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Contractors & Lawn Mowing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-contractors-lawn-mowing-272/)
-   -   Weed Control (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-contractors-lawn-mowing-272/weed-control-337579/)

RiderOnTheStorm 12-21-2022 09:05 AM

Weed Control

Does anyone know of someone who will spray gardens to kill weeds? Pulling the weeds out does not fix the problem; the weed roots are usually left in place and the weeds usually grow back more densely than before. I would like someone to spray with a general purpose weed killer every three months or so. Thank you.

rsimpson 12-21-2022 09:12 AM

Weed Spray

B&C Pest Solutions - Brian Guaghan 352-625-4630.
They do a nice job on beds, $25.00 per month.

retiredguy123 12-21-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm (Post 2168426)
Does anyone know of someone who will spray gardens to kill weeds? Pulling the weeds out does not fix the problem; the weed roots are usually left in place and the weeds usually grow back more densely than before. I would like someone to spray with a general purpose weed killer every three months or so. Thank you.

Why not buy a container of Roundup and do it yourself? For about $25, it comes with a battery operated pump. You just hold the trigger and aim. Very easy DIY project.

chrissy2231 12-21-2022 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2168442)
Why not buy a container of Roundup and do it yourself? For about $25, it comes with a battery operated pump. You just hold the trigger and aim. Very easy DIY project.

cancer

retiredguy123 12-21-2022 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy2231 (Post 2168509)
cancer

According to the Federal Government, EPA, Roundup does not cause cancer. The only people who determined that it does were the jurors in a trial where greedy attorneys convinced them that it does to make a lot of money. But, if you use it, I would suggest spraying it on the weeds, not on yourself.

Nucky 12-21-2022 01:19 PM

Choice Maintenance. $12.00 per month after the initial charge to clean up whatever has been left behind. Great Company. 352-502-2880.

Pairadocs 12-21-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2168512)
According to the Federal Government, EPA, Roundup does not cause cancer. The only people who determined that it does were the jurors in a trial where greedy attorneys convinced them that it does to make a lot of money. But, if you use it, I would suggest spraying it on the weeds, not on yourself.

Well spoken ! Good advice to handle ANY chemical substance, including paint, with care, but really, to spray weeds in a flower bed a couple times on a calm (not windy day), seems a bit overly fearful, but, who knows ? Also would add, that we've used several of the home made weed solutions on vegetable plants and they DO WORK. One last tip, the U. of Florida extension people here in the
V's are a very valuable FREE resource for villagers. Saved us THOUSANDS over the years with their guidance on how to care for southern lawns and plants, and how to avoid OVER chemical saturation (like lawn services) that often results in lawns becoming resistant to constant chemical applications.

MrChip72 12-22-2022 12:32 AM

I'm here on and off throughout the year and I've been able to keep weeds under control by applying weed and feed with a little spreader every 3 months when I'm down here combined with spot treatments of Roundup and/or Spectricide depending if it's on my lawn or not. The weed and feed isn't cheap but it makes a difference and much cheaper than paying my lawn cutting guy to do it.

Battlebasset 12-22-2022 06:56 AM

Yes, spraying Roundup yourself is easiest, and pretty cheap. No cancer risk unless you bathe in the stuff. I also have a weed burner that uses a 1 pound propane tank to burn them up once dead, but I have rocks, not mulch or pine straw as my cover.

Question - how do you keep the grass from growing up at the base of your shrubs? It invades from the main lawn, and you can't burn or spray it, too close and intertwined with the shrub.

wamley 12-22-2022 07:04 AM

Buy a small sprayer and use the following to kill the weeds and its safe.
Recipe For Vinegar Weed Killer
* 1 Gallon White Vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Liquid Dish Soap or Vegetable Oil
* 1 Cup Salt (only if you don’t want to replant there)

G.R.I.T.S. 12-22-2022 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChip72 (Post 2168650)
I'm here on and off throughout the year and I've been able to keep weeds under control by applying weed and feed with a little spreader every 3 months when I'm down here combined with spot treatments of Roundup and/or Spectricide depending if it's on my lawn or not. The weed and feed isn't cheap but it makes a difference and much cheaper than paying my lawn cutting guy to do it.

I disagree with your method of weed control. You may indeed control weeds by using a weed and feed product, but applying "feed" every three months contributes to excess nitrogen entering the ground which ends up causing algae in lakes and ponds. (Plants do not absorb nutrients during winter dormancy. Fertilizers pass through the soil to the groundwater.) PLEASE :pray: contact UF/IFAS extension office for guidance on the proper use of chemicals to avoid wrecking surrounding surface water and groundwater.

retiredguy123 12-22-2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamley (Post 2168682)
Buy a small sprayer and use the following to kill the weeds and its safe.
Recipe For Vinegar Weed Killer
* 1 Gallon White Vinegar
* 1 Tablespoon Liquid Dish Soap or Vegetable Oil
* 1 Cup Salt (only if you don’t want to replant there)

I don't know about your formula, but a small manual sprayer will wear out your fingers, if you are spraying the entire yard. A 1.33 gallon container of Roundup comes with a battery operated pump for about $25. You just hold the trigger and aim. Much faster and easier on the hands.

Mikenbats66 12-22-2022 08:03 AM

crabgrass weeds almost impossible to kill
best remedy is to dig out weed with roots and replant plugs or sod
labor intensive

RiderOnTheStorm 12-22-2022 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2168442)

I would if I were there.

rogerrice60 12-22-2022 11:00 AM

Weed control

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm (Post 2168426)

Massey provides these services