Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Paying for meal (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/paying-meal-338428/)

rhood 01-22-2023 06:40 PM

Paying for meal

When I am finished with my meal at a restaurant, I like to pay and leave. Problem many times is that the wait person can’t be found.
I have started to ask for the check when food is delivered so I can offer my card the next time the wait person passes even before I have finished. Then, when it’s delivered, I can just sign the chit and leave when I’m ready.
I’m usually not in a hurry, but I just don’t want to sit there and wait.
Is that so wrong ?

ThirdOfFive 01-22-2023 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhood (Post 2178759)
When I am finished with my meal at a restaurant, I like to pay and leave. Problem many times is that the wait person can’t be found.
I have started to ask for the check when food is delivered so I can offer my card the next time the wait person passes even before I have finished. Then, when it’s delivered, I can just sign the chit and leave when I’m ready.
Is that so wrong ?

Wrong? Nah. I can understand the impatience. But if the restaurant is busy then waitstaff will be busy as well.

We can be pretty sure that if we owe them money, they WILL remember that you're there.

OrangeBlossomBaby 01-22-2023 07:46 PM

Or you could just remember to bring cash, and figure out the tax and tip and round up to the nearest dollar. No waiting for a check necessary, just set it on the table sticking out from under your plate. Or hand it to the server on your way out and tell them "no change."

Aces4 01-22-2023 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2178791)
Or you could just remember to bring cash, and figure out the tax and tip and round up to the nearest dollar. No waiting for a check necessary, just set it on the table sticking out from under your plate. Or hand it to the server on your way out and tell them "no change."

That sounds like a plan but I’d never stuff cash under part of a plate and hope it was collected and processed by the right person. I’d get the tab right away, personally.

kcrazorbackfan 01-22-2023 07:51 PM

Quote:

Is that so wrong ?

Nope. I do not like to sit there wasting time after eating so I always ask for the check as soon as the meal comes.

retiredguy123 01-22-2023 08:03 PM

For me, it's cash only in restaurants. No credit cards. I never need to ask for change. I have also found that two dollar bills come in handy. I special order them at the bank, a hundred at a time.

JMintzer 01-22-2023 08:54 PM

No problem asking for the check when the food arrives...

But servers are often trained NOT to rush diners with a check. Many people find that to be rude...

rjm1cc 01-23-2023 12:41 PM

Very reasonable

MrFlorida 01-23-2023 01:54 PM

Just ask the waiter/waitress for the check when the food arrives.

ElDiabloJoe 01-23-2023 05:29 PM

While I agree with the OP, I also like to leave as soon as I am done, there are many people who enjoy a leisurely meal, and the dining out and lingering over coffee and conversation is a large part of the experience. For them. Not me.

Sensei 01-24-2023 04:52 AM

This confuses me

I frequently dine out. I've always been expected to pay first...at the first window... before the order is presented at the second one.

banjobob 01-24-2023 05:16 AM

Tell your sever to bring the bill with our food

mickey100 01-24-2023 05:26 AM

It's a good idea to ask for the check when food arrives. I usually manage to forget.

Worldseries27 01-24-2023 05:36 AM

Quote:

when i am finished with my meal at a restaurant, i like to pay and leave. Problem many times is that the wait person can’t be found.
I have started to ask for the check when food is delivered so i can offer my card the next time the wait person passes even before i have finished. Then, when it’s delivered, i can just sign the chit and leave when i’m ready.
I’m usually not in a hurry, but i just don’t want to sit there and wait.
Is that so wrong ?

get up. Head to bathroom for wash up.
You'll be greeted upon exiting

La lamy 01-24-2023 06:26 AM

I totally agree about the server often being impossible to find at end of a meal. I think asking for the check with your meal is a good idea.