Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Labor loves building houses (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/labor-loves-building-houses-338538/)

RICH1 01-27-2023 08:07 AM

Labor loves building houses

Why all of a sudden do Villagers need to subsidize Workforce Housing apartments? Plenty of places to live in surrounding towns that house and support the working men and working ladies.. Changing the fabric of a Retirement Community will only cheapen the quality of Retiree life by creating more expenses to draw from a fixed income. Raising the minimum wage has become more than my High Skilled Tradesmen career I had 10 years ago! And this Tipping thing is over, do your job and make me a pizza

Stu from NYC 01-27-2023 09:40 AM

Will agree that tipping has gotten out of hand.

Someone handing me my dinner which I take to my table and than making me place used tray and plates and silverwear somewhere for them to clean or whatever is not going to get a tip from me.

Taking my order at a table and than bringing my food to the table and refilling my glass is a different story.

LuvtheVillages 01-27-2023 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICH1 (Post 2180316)
Why all of a sudden do Villagers need to subsidize Workforce Housing apartments? Plenty of places to live in surrounding towns that house and support the working men and working ladies.. Changing the fabric of a Retirement Community will only cheapen the quality of Retiree life by creating more expenses to draw from a fixed income. Raising the minimum wage has become more than my High Skilled Tradesmen career I had 10 years ago! And this Tipping thing is over, do your job and make me a pizza

You are NOT subsidizing any workforce housing. Any apartments being built (other than at Brownwood, and they pay fees just like you) are OUTSIDE the Villages. None of your money or fees go to those apartments.

Within the Villages, the non-age-restricted housing is completely separate from the age-restricted housing. They have their own facilities and recreation, completely separate from yours.

The only expense I can think of is that some of your property taxes may be used to build roads and schools. Just like in any city in the country.

blueash 01-27-2023 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICH1 (Post 2180316)

There are not plenty of places in the surrounding communities. That is why capitalist entrepreneurs are building new housing. That is why the Morse clan, not stupid people at all, are building more family sections. The work force now comes from afar.

And do you expect us to be so gullible as to believe that you as a "High Skilled Tradesman" were paid less than $11 an hour ten years ago?

Marathon Man 01-27-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages (Post 2180403)
You are NOT subsidizing any workforce housing. Any apartments being built (other than at Brownwood, and they pay fees just like you) are OUTSIDE the Villages. None of your money or fees go to those apartments.

Within the Villages, the non-age-restricted housing is completely separate from the age-restricted housing. They have their own facilities and recreation, completely separate from yours.

The only expense I can think of is that some of your property taxes may be used to build roads and schools. Just like in any city in the country.

Correct

Marathon Man 01-27-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 2180420)
There are not plenty of places in the surrounding communities. That is why capitalist entrepreneurs are building new housing. That is why the Morse clan, not stupid people at all, are building more family sections. The work force now comes from afar.

And do you expect us to be so gullible as to believe that you as a "High Skilled Tradesman" were paid less than $11 an hour ten years ago?

Also correct.

RICH1 01-27-2023 06:39 PM

Disney is paying 20.00 bucks per hour to their Cast members, with 5 % increases every year…frustrating seeing these and other entry level jobs making these wages & pushing that tip jar in our faces… guess I’m just sick & tired of the system bleeding the Retiree on Fixed incomes… I’m comfortable now but the future looks bleak..

Sandy and Ed 01-28-2023 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RICH1 (Post 2180480)
Disney is paying 20.00 bucks per hour to their Cast members, with 5 % increases every year…frustrating seeing these and other entry level jobs making these wages & pushing that tip jar in our faces… guess I’m just sick & tired of the system bleeding the Retiree on Fixed incomes… I’m comfortable now but the future looks bleak..

And I remember when the 10% tip was the norm which then went to 15% and then 18% and now everyone is pushing 20%. Thankfully they do the math now and make tip suggestions on the check in case you can’t do math. All the while the base cost of the meal goes up and up and up. And why carrying a plate of porterhouse steak to your table warrants a higher tip than that plate of meatloaf makes no sense to me at all. Tip based on level of service not on the cost of the plat.

golfing eagles 01-28-2023 06:53 AM

Quote:

Agree

RICH1 01-28-2023 07:12 AM

Quote:

Nobody said “ Stupid People” please don’t put words in my mouth!, that’s how people get broken jaws…. And TWISTING my Post about my pay 10 years ago so others only read your TWISTED SPIN is a recipe for Disaster!

JGibson 01-28-2023 07:38 AM

OP managed to cover 3 complaints in one post.

Housing
Minimum Wage
Tipping

Maybe OP had a bad day or just needs to let up on consuming the media a little bit.

So TV is not paying for the housing.

The minimum wage in Florida is one of the lowest in the country.

Tipping is always optional.

I hope you have a better day.

mikeycereal 01-28-2023 08:26 AM

Don't get me stated on the tip jar. I remember when I first saw one of those back in the 80's at the register of our favorite pizza hut. Though it's been widely accepted for the past I don't know several years, it wasn't as much in the customer's view back then. Optional yes, but the idea to try to collect more money after being left a tip at the table seemed pretty outrageous. I don't think I've ever fed one of those... ever.

As for minimum wage... hmmm $20 now, $3 back when I first began working. I need to start upping my side job hourly rate... they pretty much caught me up!

asianthree 01-28-2023 08:32 AM

Starting for for new graduate RN can start at $22-24 hourly rate, state by state, unless you want to work in high crime area, then you get hazard pay.

So why go into health care, when you can work for Disney, get ticket perks, and have a stress free magical day.

RICH1 01-28-2023 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGibson (Post 2180565)
OP managed to cover 3 complaints in one post.

Housing
Minimum Wage
Tipping

Maybe OP had a bad day or just needs to let up on consuming the media a little bit.

So TV is not paying for the housing.

The minimum wage in Florida is one of the lowest in the country.

Tipping is always optional.

I hope you have a better day.

Thank you , I needed that ! Yes the minimum wage here in Florida is on of the lowest in the country…paid in Sunshine dollars….lol
The News does get my goat pretty easily lately, and I’m flipping all channels..that 20.00 per hour Walmart story, possibly took me over the edge, knowing most employees still qualify for supplemental government benefits..I’ll just take a chill pill and try to figure out how to process 20 million illegals getting Social Security numbers and 1099s. It might be less Stressful… anyway Thanks again …

Janie123 01-28-2023 08:38 AM

Let’s see, Villagers complain about service at restaurants… mostly due to lack of staff. I note some FB posts recently where a few of the CC restaurants cancelled breakfast service due to lack of staff. We were at Cody’s mid week. We can tell the staff was short. Handed. Our server was out of breath a few times coming to our table so her tips could suffer as the time between visits were too long.

I digress… Wildwood and other towns around the villages see and hear about short staffed establishments and decide to subsidize housing for more minimum wage workers. Is that any different that the state and cities giving large tax credits to large corporations to bring their businesses to FL? Subsidized housing is the same IMHO just 1-2 people at a time.

Also IMHO, the service is very good in and around the villages (with some exceptions) as I compare it to Denver/Aurora where we moved from… seems to me more hard working folks want to get out of poverty or just struggling workers vs. workers that have more of an entitled mindset… but just my $.02.