Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   downpayment for flooring replacement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/downpayment-flooring-replacement-338629/)

sswitenki 01-30-2023 03:41 PM

downpayment for flooring replacement

We just received an estimate to replace all flooring in our house as well as removal of popcorn ceiling. The estimate states a 50% downpayment is required before they will schedule work or place any order. Is this standard practice?

GpaVader 01-30-2023 03:52 PM

The only time I've been required to do a down payment is when they are making something custom for me. In all other cases, it was payment in full upon completion of the work. If needed, its often the only leverage you have if you are unsatisfied with work that has been completed. That's just me.....

tonyt57 01-30-2023 08:12 PM

Deposit

Nonononono, never. There are too many options out there, try A-n-W flooring for example. We used them twice, no deposit, no contract

villagetinker 01-30-2023 08:14 PM

No not standard, IMHO, I would get other estimates, or at a minimum, pay by credit card, so you can contact CC if the vendor runs with your money.

sswitenki 01-30-2023 08:29 PM

So many good reviews for Roberto’s. We were shocked by the huge deposit. Maybe they just don’t want to do this particular job???

retiredguy123 01-30-2023 08:43 PM

I would never pay any money in advance to any contractor. But, if they will accept a credit card, and agree to perform the work within 60 days, with no written agreement to waive the credit card dispute process, you would be protected by Federal law. If you use a credit card, you have 60 days from the statement date on which the charge first appears, to dispute the charge. If they will agree to those terms, then you may want to accept the contract. Otherwise, I would reject the contract.

MSchad 01-30-2023 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswitenki (Post 2181351)
So many good reviews for Roberto’s. We were shocked by the huge deposit. Maybe they just don’t want to do this particular job???

Robertos did our floors. 50% and used CC. Absolutely no problem. Owner even came over half way through install and checked on job and our satisfaction thus far. When job was done wasn’t even presented with final bill. Went in to store 5 days later to pay and even got reimbursed due to a few changes we ask installers make. Robertos is a highly reputable business.

villagetinker 01-30-2023 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswitenki (Post 2181351)

Was this a special order flooring, if so there maybe a case for the deposit, but 50% still seems high.

mrf0151 01-31-2023 06:38 AM

Used Floor Masters many years ago and no deposit needed at that time.

Altavia 01-31-2023 07:40 AM

Great Lakes is asking for 50% down also. That doesn't worry me from the large business when using a charge card.

Lead time was only two weeks.

ThirdOfFive 01-31-2023 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswitenki (Post 2181284)
We just received an estimate to replace all flooring in our house as well as removal of popcorn ceiling. The estimate states a 50% downpayment is required before they will schedule work or place any order. Is this standard practice?

Maybe a Florida thing? I don't ever remember paying anything down on a construction or home improvement project, but from the posts up to now, 50% down might be a little high but not unheard-of.

One thing I'd insist on though is that the quote includes absolutely EVERYTHING they're going to do, even small things like waste removal and disposal, and last but certainly not least, the timelines. Doing so will prevent any unpleasant surprises when it comes time to settle up.

retiredguy123 01-31-2023 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2181424)
Maybe a Florida thing? I don't ever remember paying anything down on a construction or home improvement project, but from the posts up to now, 50% down might be a little high but not unheard-of.

One thing I'd insist on though is that the quote includes absolutely EVERYTHING they're going to do, even small things like waste removal and disposal, and last but certainly not least, the timelines. Doing so will prevent any unpleasant surprises when it comes time to settle up.

I have never made a down payment for any project. Also, if you set a timeline in the contract, it will usually not be enforceable. One way to improve your chances for enforcement, is to include the legal words, "time is of the essence". But, even then, you need to have a good financial reason why the project must be completed within a specific time.

JoelJohnson 01-31-2023 08:20 AM

Used East Coast Flooring twice (including having to remove my floor due to water problems , not their fault). No deposit, great work. They even used a floor leveler to make sure the produce met the manufacturer's warranty.

JohnN 01-31-2023 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GpaVader (Post 2181292)
The only time I've been required to do a down payment is when they are making something custom for me. In all other cases, it was payment in full upon completion of the work. If needed, its often the only leverage you have if you are unsatisfied with work that has been completed. That's just me.....

Bingo

MrFlorida 01-31-2023 08:41 AM

Never pay upfront, find another contractor.