Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   What books would you take with you? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/what-books-would-you-take-you-339045/)

Rainger99 02-14-2023 10:15 AM

What books would you take with you?

You are going to a deserted island for year and you can only take five books with you.

What are they?

Michael G. 02-14-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2187360)
You are going to a deserted island for year and you can only take five books with you.

What are they?

One would be "How to survive on a deserted island",
Volumes 1 2 3 4

Rainger99 02-14-2023 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2187373)
Volumes 1 2 3 4

So what is the fifth book?

fdpaq0580 02-14-2023 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2187382)
So what is the fifth book?

Everyone needs a nice coffee table book.

Boomer 02-14-2023 11:35 AM

I would have to think about this for a while. The only thing that came to mind immediately was a two-volume set I used to have, “The Complete Works of Mark Twain.”. .or was it the “Collected Works”? Anyway, that guy sure had a handle on human nature.

The second thing I thought of when I read that question was an episode of “The Twilight Zone” when a man who loved to read was in the bank’s vault (I think it was) and when he came out, he was the only person left anywhere. He found the library but then broke his very thick glasses. It was awful. (I was a glasses-wearing little girl when I saw that episode, but I still remember it.)

Boomer

ThirdOfFive 02-14-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 2187411)
I would have to think about this for a while. The only thing that came to mind immediately was a two-volume set I used to have, “The Complete Works of Mark Twain.”. .or was it the “Collected Works”? Anyway, that guy sure had a handle on human nature.

The second thing I thought of when I read that question was an episode of “The Twilight Zone” when a man who loved to read was in the bank’s vault (I think it was) and when he came out, he was the only person left anywhere. He found the library but then broke his very thick glasses. It was awful. (I was a glasses-wearing little girl when I saw that episode, but I still remember it.)

Boomer

I remember it well. One of the first episodes of the first season as I recall.

Not precisely on topic, but...there is a YouTube series called "Twilight Tober Zone" that plays selected old episodes of the series. Good stuff.

As far as the books I'd take...Bible, Koran, The Book of Mormon, and the Hindu Itihasa and Vedas. Lots of time to compare and contrast, assuming I wasn't spending 18 hours a day just struggling to survive.

Arctic Fox 02-14-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

You are going to a deserted island for year and you can only take five books with you. What are they?

Not the Pentateuch.

Taltarzac725 02-14-2023 10:04 PM

Quote:

What are they?

Cook books for the area's flora and fauna, large books for kindling and books of matches.

Worldseries27 02-15-2023 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 2187411)
i would have to think about this for a while. The only thing that came to mind immediately was a two-volume set i used to have, “the complete works of mark twain.”. .or was it the “collected works”? Anyway, that guy sure had a handle on human nature.

The second thing i thought of when i read that question was an episode of “the twilight zone” when a man who loved to read was in the bank’s vault (i think it was) and when he came out, he was the only person left anywhere. He found the library but then broke his very thick glasses. It was awful. (i was a glasses-wearing little girl when i saw that episode, but i still remember it.)

boomer

burgess meredith of rocky fame

Worldseries27 02-15-2023 04:47 AM

Gilligan where art thou

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainger99 (Post 2187360)
you are going to a deserted island for year and you can only take five books with you.

What are they?

biographies of
albert einstein
marco polo
kublai khan
george washington
&
the bible

RedFoxRick 02-15-2023 04:59 AM

Catcher in the Rye - Salinger
On The Road - Kerouac
To Kill a Mocking Bird - Lee
Empire Falls - Russo
Any one of Tom Perrotta's Books

CSB1228 02-15-2023 06:44 AM

Quote:

What are they?

Outlander Series. Five of them because they are all over 1000 pages each.

Luggage 02-15-2023 08:27 AM

Books

the collected stories of Agatha Christie, and all-in-one encyclopedia, had a survive in desert island, how to talk to yourself for one year straight and get a response,the Old Testament cuz I'd finally get to read it, and one good joke book

MandoMan 02-15-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

What are they?

Wilderness Medical Society Practice Guidelines for Wilderness Emergency Care. (I have enough of a medical background to understand it and do a lot of it if necessary.)

SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere.

Complete Works of Shakespeare. (I was a college English professor.)

Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1. (A lot of my favorite poems.)

How to Eat in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Foraging, Trapping, Fishing, and Finding Sustenance in the Wild.

Rodneysblue 02-15-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2187373)
Volumes 1 2 3 4

Double ditto along with “How to build a boat out of next to nothing”