Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Pimlico OMG (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/pimlico-omg-339560/)

JGibson 03-04-2023 08:16 PM

Pimlico OMG

Haven't played here in about 5 months but the greens are a total joke. This was a nice course 5 months ago.

So Churchill, Belmont, and Pimlico really need a lot of work.

UpNorth 03-05-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGibson (Post 2194415)
Haven't played here in about 5 months but the greens are a total joke. This was a nice course 5 months ago.

Add to that Pelican, Heron, Palmetto and a few others. March has the worst conditions for several of the executives. Winter overseeding dying and Summer grasses not yet thriving. Happens every year. Throw in some sprouting poa annua and you have a mess.

rustyp 03-05-2023 10:27 AM

Quote:

Agreed - throw Pelican into the mix also. On the opposite side we played Silver Lake this week and the greens were in great shape.

kkingston57 03-05-2023 09:38 PM

Quote:

Not going to get any better. Very little winter rain and we are now in the dry season.

I'm Popeye! 03-05-2023 10:29 PM

Bonita Pass, the conditions of the greens are horrible; that's expected with so many players this time of the season.

Mrs. Heck 03-06-2023 07:03 AM

Churchill

Quote:

They closed Churchill Greens last Friday for renovations.

jarodrig 03-06-2023 09:05 AM

I played Oakleigh @ 8:59 followed by Yankee Clipper @ 11:38 yesterday (Sunday) …..

Both courses were in very good condition……

alwann 03-06-2023 09:23 AM

As I understand it, the Districts (we amenity-payers) own the executive courses. Is this correct? And somewhere in the Villagesphere, there is an individual who oversees the executive courses. Is this correct? Whose payroll is he/she/they on? Who evaluates this person's performance?

I'm Popeye! 03-06-2023 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 2195020)
Who evaluates this person's performance?

A friend of a friends friend, that's who... :confused:

PurePeach 03-06-2023 10:36 AM

Quote:

:agree:
We played Pimlico last Thursday and it was like putting on gravel. Horrible. They need to keep these greens watered!

Scbang 03-06-2023 12:36 PM

There are no excuses. All of the executive courses get full schedule play. Heck, I can't even get any tee time anywhere. Yet, some courses have still very nice greens. I believe every executive courses are maintained by 1 associated Championship Course maintenance crew. So, it is those guys who are not doing the job. Blame the weather, rain, traffic? I don't think so..

Cheers!

UpNorth 03-06-2023 08:41 PM

We play courses outside The Villages that get just as much play and no rain either, and they are in much better condition than The Villages. Excuses of "too much play" and "lack of rain" don't add up. It boils down to poor maintenance, plain and simple.

Flyers999 03-07-2023 09:33 AM

Heron just as bad....

Played Heron last week and I can understand why the greens (if you can call them that) might not be in great shape because of being overplayed, bad winter frost spell, etc. But why do they have to be so hard and dry?
I hit the ball high and I couldn't find one ball mark on the greens.
I played another Villages executive course on Saturday, and it was great. The greens actually had perceptable grass on them. Downhill putts didn't roll 10 feet off the putting surface.

arickis 03-10-2023 08:28 AM

person in charge

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwann (Post 2195020)
As I understand it, the Districts (we amenity-payers) own the executive courses. Is this correct? And somewhere in the Villagesphere, there is an individual who oversees the executive courses. Is this correct? Whose payroll is he/she/they on? Who evaluates this person's performance?

His name is Mitch Leininger, Director of Executive Golf Course Maintenance
Mitch.Leininger@districtgov.org
Direct all complaints to him