Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Just For Fun (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/)
-   -   Computers and Humans (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/just-fun-109/computers-humans-340594/)

Michael G. 04-14-2023 10:34 AM

Computers and Humans

A good (quote) on computers and Humans........

“Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid.
Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant.
Together they are powerful beyond imagination.” - Albert Einstein.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-14-2023 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2207241)
A good (quote) on computers and Humans........

“Computers are incredibly fast, accurate, and stupid.
Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate, and brilliant.
Together they are powerful beyond imagination.” - Albert Einstein.

I agree with the content of the quote -

however, there is no evidence that Einstein ever said it or wrote it anywhere, ever in his entire life. He died in 1955. The oldest attribution of that quote is dated 1969, in a journal called Advances in Instrumentation.

Quote:

Even with a computer there is no substitute for a good operator. Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. On the other hand, a well trained operator as compared with a computer is incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant.

Michael G. 04-14-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 2207249)
I agree with the content of the quote -

however, there is no evidence that Einstein ever said it or wrote it anywhere, ever in his entire life. He died in 1955. The oldest attribution of that quote is dated 1969, in a journal called Advances in Instrumentation.

Your evidence makes sense to me, Thanks

Keefelane66 04-14-2023 11:01 AM

Thanks for picking up on this. Some people are full of wealth of useless information or was the quote from Leo Cherne

fdpaq0580 04-14-2023 11:03 AM

Einstein? Doesn't sound like him.
Sounds more like Hawking to me. I could believe that possible.

OrangeBlossomBaby 04-14-2023 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2207259)
Thanks for picking up on this. Some people are full of wealth of useless information or was the quote from Leo Cherne

It was attributed to Leo Cherne but if you dig deep enough into the black holes of Google you'll find that 1969 journal reference, that predates Cherne by around 6 years.

Blueblaze 04-14-2023 06:32 PM

After 40-plus years as a professional computer programmer, I have but one observation to make about computers.

In order to screw anything up beyond all hope of repair, you need a computer.

tophcfa 04-14-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueblaze (Post 2207415)
After 40-plus years as a professional computer programmer, I have but one observation to make about computers.

In order to screw anything up beyond all hope of repair, you need a computer.

That’s why I love old cars that don’t have any computer chips in them. In my humble opinion the world was a much simpler and better place before cell phones and the internet. Kids actually went outside and did stuff like climb a tree. And with no social media, mental health issues were way less and mass shootings were few and far between. Sometimes change is not a good thing.

rsmurano 04-15-2023 05:06 AM

I also have 45 years in the information technology field. I think the original post needs clarification: not all people are brilliant and not all computers are stupid. Have you heard the phrase garbage in-garbage out? If you have a human that doesn’t know what they are doing and feeding a computer wrong information, the computer will give inaccurate results very fast. We have been getting prepared for many years/decades for when computers can think for themselves and that’s called AI, and this can be real scary if done wrong.

Worldseries27 04-15-2023 05:50 AM

Whatttt

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by orangeblossombaby (Post 2207249)
i agree with the content of the quote -

however, there is no evidence that einstein ever said it or wrote it anywhere, ever in his entire life. He died in 1955. The oldest attribution of that quote is dated 1969, in a journal called advances in instrumentation.

here's a quote

Michael G. 04-15-2023 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2207422)
That’s why I love old cars that don’t have any computer chips in them. In my humble opinion the world was a much simpler and better place before cell phones and the internet. Kids actually went outside and did stuff like climb a tree. And with no social media, mental health issues were way less and mass shootings were few and far between. Sometimes change is not a good thing.

Welcome to your senior years :smiley:

Davonu 04-15-2023 07:07 AM

Quote:

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet! :)

APHVILLA 04-15-2023 09:04 AM

In 1968, Pablo Picasso stated that, “Computers are useless. They can only give you answers”

jimjamuser 04-15-2023 07:39 PM

Quote:

Overall a good post. But, mass shootings can not be attributed to cell phone usage and the internet. Need to look to Australia for solutions to that one.

jimjamuser 04-15-2023 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davonu (Post 2207536)
You ain’t seen nothin’ yet! :)

I agree that the US keeps setting records. I think problems will keep increasing into the near future. There are accelerants, but no decelerates.