Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   No more 14 year old golf cart drivers (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/no-more-14-year-old-golf-cart-drivers-341319/)

Southwest737 05-15-2023 06:48 AM

No more 14 year old golf cart drivers

Who can drive a golf cart in Florida? New law changes legal age

Chi-Town 05-15-2023 07:52 AM

Glad to see it. It's good to know that drivers need some experience driving in traffic and negotiating intersections.

Two Bills 05-15-2023 08:00 AM

Will be totally ignored by TV grandparents.
Fall into same same category as Stop signs.
Rules only for other people.

golfing eagles 05-15-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2217842)
Will be totally ignored by TV grandparents.
Fall into same same category as Stop signs.
Rules only for other people.

Which is why I would have made the law a bit tougher-----1 year delay in any teenager's ability to get a learner's permit or license, and 3 points on grandpa's license + a $1000 fine.

Let's see how "cute" gramps thinks letting a 10 year old drive is then.

Papa_lecki 05-15-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2217887)
Which is why I would have made the law a bit tougher-----1 year delay in any teenager's ability to get a learner's permit or license, and 3 points on grandpa's license + a $1000 fine.

Most grand kids are from out of state - that restriction would only hold water for grands from FLA - can’t cross state lines

fdpaq0580 05-15-2023 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2217887)

Oh, you mean old man!

Actually, I agree 99.9%. The .1% is for when "Gramps" is having an emergency and the kid can get him out of harms way.

fdpaq0580 05-15-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2217893)
Most grand kids are from out of state - that restriction would only hold water for grands from FLA - can’t cross state lines

Well, hell! Guess we'll just have shoot 'em, pappy.

golfing eagles 05-15-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2217893)

Not necessarily. Many states have reciprocity when it comes to traffic tickets----NY, NJ, and Conn. come to mind immediately---a moving violation in any one of them is reported to all three and affects license points and insurance rates regardless of the state in which the infraction occurred. I don't know if Florida has any such arrangements.

Addendum--I found this:

Most states have reciprocal agreements with each other regarding driver convictions. The shared information may be about a minor offense, such as a speeding ticket, or a major offense, like a DUI.

The Driver’s License Compact (DLC) and Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) are the main reciprocal agreements for traffic violations. There is also the Driver’s License Agreement or DLA, but only a few states are members.

Key Highlights
Member states of the Driver’s License Compact (DLC) share traffic ticket convictions of drivers with other states.
Five states don’t share speeding ticket information with other states: Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee and Wisconsin.
Member states of the Non-Resident Violator Compact (NRVC) must suspend the driver’s license of anyone who fails to pay or otherwise legally resolve moving violations in another state.
The states that are not NRVC members are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin.
The National Driver Register contains records of drivers whose licenses were revoked or suspended and those who have been convicted of a DUI.

asianthree 05-15-2023 01:24 PM

So is the mmp a legal street? Rarely do you see LEO’s ticket autos on street’s in TV proper, majority of grandparents, who thinks their grandchildren are the exception, will continue to let them drive.

Why because nobody is going to stop them and ask for DL or permit

golfing eagles 05-15-2023 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 2217969)
So is the mmp a legal street? Rarely do you see LEO’s ticket autos on street’s in TV proper, majority of grandparents, who thinks their grandchildren are the exception, will continue to let them drive.

Probably true

The only enforcement will be after the accident.

Bill14564 05-15-2023 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2217976)
Probably true

The only enforcement will be after the accident.

Where can we learn more about these accidents? Seriously, have there been many or is this change a solution in search of a problem?

La lamy 05-16-2023 05:18 AM

:BigApplause::BigApplause:
YAY!!! But let's hope it's enforced around TV when it comes into being on July 1st.

Byte1 05-16-2023 05:35 AM

It's about time. Folks are getting their license taken away after being charged with DUI while operating a golf cart. That didn't make sense, when you didn't need a drivers license to operate a golf cart. At least now it will make sense.

MandoMan 05-16-2023 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 2217969)

No, it isn’t. My understanding is that this applies only to city streets, not to cart paths. Thus, someone driving a golf cart without a license (including adults!) on Morse or on streets leading to it will be illegal, but not driving on paths running alongside city streets but with a grassy barrier between them. However, from what I’ve read, localities can extend the rules to paths as well if they want to, but they don’t have to. Of course, police very rarely drive on our residential streets, so the risk of being caught is quite low.

sowilts 05-16-2023 05:43 AM

I don’t need elected officials to tell me how to think. No one drives my cart without Drivers license. Too much risk.