Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Midges, no-seeums (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/midges-no-seeums-341573/)

NotGolfer 05-24-2023 07:48 AM

Midges, no-seeums

Our house seems infested with midges (teeny flies) and they're annoying! How do y'all get rid of them??

NotGolfer 05-24-2023 11:24 AM

Anybody?? Are y'all having the same issues?? Looking for a solution please!

Michael G. 05-24-2023 11:29 AM

I think I read somewhere that it's because of all the rain that drives them above ground and into our homes.

JSR22 05-24-2023 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 2220587)
Anybody?? Are y'all having the same issues?? Looking for a solution please!

Call an exterminator.

Carla B 05-24-2023 11:50 AM

For a couple years the midges seem to come from a pond that is part of our view. They covered our front door and entrance. A neighbor of us kept pleading with TV to do something about it. It was only when she found out Mark Morse was suffering from them also, that TV treated the pond. This is the first year they've been such an annoyance since that time. As for no-seeums, they seem to inhabit mangrove-type vegetation or swamps. I don't know how to get rid of them. They used to torment me with vicious bites when we lived on a sailboat, especially in areas like the Florida Keys. The only solution then was to move the boat.

Fredster 05-24-2023 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 2220493)
Our house seems infested with midges (teeny flies) and they're annoying! How do y'all get rid of them??

Do they bite or are they just annoying?
If you have a lot of potted plants indoors, they might be fungus gnats!

Tustin714 05-24-2023 04:07 PM

I can only speak for my experience (in other words, "your mileage may vary ") but earlier this year -- in anticipation of no-seeums arriving -- I bought a Black+Decker Bug Zapper (link below) based on reviews, and so far we haven't had any problems, as we normally would. However, we're not in Florida (again, "your mileage...").

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B0BKPQXS4J

It's not particularly expensive so try it during the return period and see if it works for you.

NotGolfer 05-24-2023 05:46 PM

We don't live near water nor do we have any house-plants. They're annoying and I'm not sure they bite. I guess the exterminator is on the "to-do" list now.
Thank you for the responses! The raining makes sense I guess!!!

Rainger99 05-24-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotGolfer (Post 2220664)
I guess the exterminator is on the "to-do" list now.

I called my pest control company (Massey) and they said they don’t do anything for midges!!

I also called for frogs and love bugs and get the same answer!!

Let us know if you got a better response.

Taltarzac725 05-24-2023 10:45 PM

How to get Rid of Midges | 5 Top Tips | Cleanipedia

Apple cider vinegar and soap may help.

Quote:

Create a midge trap
This is super easy to do and a great way to get rid of midges that are already in your home. Put apple cider vinegar into a bowl with a few drops of washing up liquid. Midges are attracted to the smell of the mix but get stuck when they land! Don’t forget to empty and clean out the bowl, and replace the mixture every few days.

MandoMan 05-25-2023 05:14 AM

Quote:

Move to north of 466A.

MandoMan 05-25-2023 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tustin714 (Post 2220649)
I can only speak for my experience (in other words, "your mileage may vary ") but earlier this year -- in anticipation of no-seeums arriving -- I bought a Black+Decker Bug Zapper (link below) based on reviews, and so far we haven't had any problems, as we normally would. However, we're not in Florida (again, "your mileage...").

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-.../dp/B0BKPQXS4J

It's not particularly expensive so try it during the return period and see if it works for you.

I installed one of those in my forest home in Pennsylvania and soon decided that the light was drawing mosquitoes from several hundred yards away. Piles of them! The light was also drawing and killing large, gorgeous Luna moths and other beautiful moths.I didn’t even realize they lived in the area. In addition, the zap sound when a mosquito fried was not pleasant.

edtherock 05-25-2023 05:26 AM

Keep lights off in the house at night. Spray all indoor plants( outside) with bug spray)- same with outdoor potted plants if inside birdcage . I did those 3 things and 1 month later no problems. I live on GC with pond view south of 466!! The boogers go for light and live in the soil. I tried many things- zappers. Sticky things with LEDs etc and they catch the boogers but does not stop them from coming back. Light attract thems.

robertsonsusan 05-25-2023 05:30 AM

Minimize pest entry into your home,.

Quote:

Make sure all of your drain traps have liquid in them. An unused shower drain trap is notorious for allowing small flies to enter your home.

Mike&Silvia 05-25-2023 06:00 AM

Quote:

I asked the same question of a Publix produce manager, and here is what he suggested: Try a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a small bowel. Put plastic wrap over the top and cut a 1” to 2” hole. This helps to trap the insects inside. I place the bowl on my countertop, near my bananas, and it is very effective. Good luck!