Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   One car garage? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/one-car-garage-341609/)

CharlieK 05-25-2023 10:21 AM

One car garage?

Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Stu from NYC 05-25-2023 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieK (Post 2220878)
Hello - My wife & I will be heading down for a Lifestyle visit in less than 2 weeks. Looking forward to checking out some houses - mostly CYV since we want a fence for the dog.

We've seen a few that look great but have only a one car garage. Even with only one car, is a one car garage enough? Can you fit a golf cart in there? I figure storage would be minimal.

Any tips or tricks?

Thanks

Find a real estate agent both villages and mls to take you around and show you what is available.

SIRE1 05-25-2023 11:29 AM

Before we bought our home, we rented for several years. We had 2 Patio Villas and 2 Courtyard Villas. And although we really liked those houses, the one thing that I didn't care for was the garage in all of them. While I could fit a golf cart and my SUV in the Patio Villa, but it was really tight. But when we rented the 2 Courtyard Villas, I had to leave the car in the driveway because when I tried to pull the SUV around the partially curved driveway, the swinging room of the front fender never would clear the golf cart parked by the door. So, with those experiences, when it came time for me to look for a house that we would purchase one of the "must have" criteria was a 2 car garage. Now, I want to say that my experience must not be shared with everybody because there are a heck of a lot people in The Villages who are living in and enjoying their Patio and Courtyard Villas. So there are a LOT of people who have found a way to use the 1 car garage for both a car and a cart. But, for me, a 2 garage in either a designer or ranch was the only way to go.

kfierle 05-25-2023 12:09 PM

My CYV has a 1 1/2 car garage. I can easily fit my mid size SUV and golf cart in the garage. Yes, the curved driveway takes some getting used to. I installed shelving on one wall and have adequate storage. Since there is only one person in my household, I probably don't have as much "stuff" as a couple would accumulate.

VApeople 05-25-2023 01:07 PM

In the olden days, only courtyard villas had walls around them. Now that designer homes have gotten so expensive, they have a much greater variety of smaller homes, many with fences or walls to keep your dog from getting out.

Look at thevillages(dot)com to see info on the many new models.

CharlieK 05-25-2023 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=VApeople;2220930]In the olden days, only courtyard villas had walls around them. Now that designer homes have gotten so expensive, they have a much greater variety of smaller homes, many with fences or walls to keep your dog from getting out.

Look at thevillages(dot)com to see info on the many new models.[/QUOTE

We have been. And I've been dismissing the houses with one car garages. But I've seen a few that were perfect for us - location, etc - except for the garage. Just wondering if it's something we could adapt to or would it get too annoying after a while and prompt us to move to a different house (something we're trying to avoid)

thelegges 05-25-2023 02:35 PM

1.5 car garage will fit a small to mid range car, and a 2 seat golf cart. That’s where we started, as a vaca home, then moved to a 2 car garage, then a 2 car plus golf cart garage. If I could have build a 3 car at the new house I would have.

Unless you rent storage, your garage, closets are your only storage. People will tell you to come with only some clothes, get rid of everything. Well that’s not what we choose to do. Get as big of a garage as possible, you will never be unhappy if it’s too big

Papa_lecki 05-25-2023 03:04 PM

I would suggest you not pick the house style based on your dog. When we were looking, we had 2. We thought the same thing, something with a fence.

After we rented, then looked with realtors, etc - we felt the fence requirement was too restrictive - and we would not be happy long run.

We are down to one dog - we found it’s too hot for him to be outside too long most of the year. We do a few walks during the day.

Regarding garage - we have a 2 car, no golf cart garage - that’s our biggest regret, not having the extra space in the garage. We have 2 golf carts, they fit in, but when we need to put the car in, it is TIGHT in the garage. And we dont have much yard equipment.

JOERILLA 05-25-2023 03:20 PM

Get as big of a garage as you can find ...No one has ever bought a house and then said "I wish I had a SMALLER garage"!

Pballer 05-25-2023 03:55 PM

Fences and walls are no barrier to the wild animals and hawks around here that want a tasty dog.

Cupcake57 05-25-2023 04:02 PM

I don't think a one or one and a half garage is workable for most. I rented a CYV with a one and a half garage and could get the car and cart in but not open the car door to get out. Curved drive is a nightmare.

Also remember very limited storage in most Villages houses so need garage space for extra supplies. And if you are doing your own lawn care, you'll need space for mower/trimmer/edger/leaf blower. Yikes! I am single with a 2 and a half garage and a midsize sedan and golf cart and love that I don't have to negotiate for space every time I bring home a case of water or sports equipment. Get the biggest garage you can find/afford.

JMintzer 05-25-2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOERILLA (Post 2220971)
Get as big of a garage as you can find ...No one has ever bought a house and then said "I wish I had a SMALLER garage"!

Wise words...

rjm1cc 05-25-2023 05:39 PM

Very good that you are asking the question as the garage is also a storage area. Consider storage needs. You can use ceiling racks, say for Xmass decorations, but you may want to use wall cabinets for other items. Be sure you have enough room to open the doors to the car and get in and out of the car if you have some walking limitations. Remember the garage might be your "most" used room.

Decadeofdave 05-25-2023 07:25 PM

If you look hard enough, there are cyv properties with a full 2 car garage. They are located on corner lots or at dead end street. Good luck.

Stu from NYC 05-25-2023 07:54 PM

We find that garages here run rather small. It is tight to park two camrys in our two car garage.

Always worry my wife will remove our side view mirror backing out.